The Mozilla Application Suite is now the SeaMonkey Project!

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
J_Rey

The Mozilla Application Suite is now the SeaMonkey Project!

#1 Post by J_Rey »

I went to download the latest nightly build of 1.8beta2, but found out that July 2nd was the last one available. It wasn't easy to find, but I found out that:

"The Mozilla Foundation has announced that there won't be any more official releases of the Mozilla Application Suite, but they will provide infrastructure for community members who wish to continue development under the new project name "SeaMonkey." The project has a new team that is independent of the Mozilla Foundation, cares about that application and that takes over the lead for its development."

Much more info can be found at the SeaMonkey Home Page.

I've had a couple minor problems with the last nightly build of the Mozilla Suite on my Windows machine, but its worth considering including either the July 2nd build or a nightly build of SeaMonkey with the next release of Puppy Linux (with some testing first).

Yes? No? Maybe so?

Thanks.

(post edited and rewritten when SeaMonkey info was found)

J_Rey

*bump*

#2 Post by J_Rey »

Just bumping this up since I edited it the "last post" date didn't change....

J_Rey

#3 Post by J_Rey »

Well, after looking at the SeaMonkey Suite nightly builds over better, I see that there are some things that need changed before we include it with Puppy Linux. I'd say wait until at least the alpha or maybe even the beta release. Probably, would be good to update to the latest Mozilla Suite nightly until then though....

J_Rey

#4 Post by J_Rey »

Well, I noticed that the news for August 18th says that:
"Mozilla has been compiled from "nightly source", dated 16 August 2005, and this will most likely be in the next Puppy, and will be known as version 1.8b1.5."
But what's interesting is that I just installed today's nightly build of the SeaMonkey suite and it is identified in the user-agent string and under about:config under the milestone entry as 1.9a1.

Obviously, Barry still referred to it as Mozilla, though. I guess eventually the announcement will be made and the ISO files are going to be named puppy-1.0.x-seamonkey.iso? Hmm....

(edited typos & formatting)
Last edited by J_Rey on Fri 26 Aug 2005, 03:06, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

I looked at the Seamonkey download pages, but couldn't find the source.

So, I downloaded the latest Mozilla nightly source.

I presume that the Seamonkey people are using the same Mozilla source, just customising it.
The Mozilla source identifies itself as version 1.8 beta2, but I have named it 1.8b1.5, since there will never be an official beta2 release.

I looked at the Seamonkey binary build, I notice they have disabled the Calendar module ...which means they can't get it to work properly either.
I wonder if they have image blocking working?

edoc

#6 Post by edoc »

BarryK wrote:I looked at the Seamonkey download pages, but couldn't find the source.
Looks as though they may have bitten off more than they thought. They really appear to be disorganized, they started the project lacking a clear strategy for a product that many had already started to depend upon.

And what is up with the name "SeaMonkey"? That's going to make it easy to get it into corporate and education America ... right.

It may be time to look elsewhere, Mozilla Application Suite could be in trouble.

Opera anyone?

IMHO ... doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

SeaMonkey is a code name

- the code name for Puppy KDE is Krazy Puppy
- the name Puppy itself reminds one of toy dogs and there are other associations . . .

Phoenix was a great name for firefox but someone was using it
Mozilla is a dinosaur - logo wise. Is it big? Old? Extinct? A monster?
Obviosly naming and marketing is not a big part of Open Source - Hooray!

If we were smart we would rename Puppy WOS (Working Operating System) or something really clever - but Puppy works for me.

The Mozilla in Puppy 1.0.5 is very good. A while ago Puppy was using Dillo. Opera can of course be installed. I must say I used to install Firefox. in Puppy. Now I am happy to use Mozilla. Luckily the only other computer I use has Firefox on XP - previously I had been a long term Opera user.

If you want to see monkey and what monkey do
See IE as used by millions to compromise their systems.

30% of my Windows XP computer time was spent on securing the OS and browser - dealing with virus, trojan, spyware - you name it - some monkey created it and a bigger monkey allowed it to be installed (guess that was me)

Now I am a Puppy
woof woof

PS. Is the translate facility built into Mozilla or did I install it as a tool / extension (if I did it is pretty kewl . . .)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

Yes, the current Moz 1.8b1.5 (my own versioning system) is running well, with the image-blocking and spellchecking now working.
..which only I have for now.

MU

#9 Post by MU »

Lobster,

I wrote a program that lets you run mozilla via an external interface, that provides (editable) entries for translators and search-engines.

Maybe you will like it:
http://wxbasic.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/v ... .php?t=895

(please be patient, that board is very very slow today)

Don't get confused about the "wine"-stuff, it is not needed any more.
Pure Linux now :-)

The program itself ( http://noforum.de/files/wxagentsorg/wxagentsorg05.zip ) does not include wxbasic, you will have to download a .tgz frome there and extract it to /usr/bin :
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=135481

Mark

edoc

#10 Post by edoc »

BarryK wrote:Yes, the current Moz 1.8b1.5 (my own versioning system) is running well, with the image-blocking and spellchecking now working.
..which only I have for now.
So, Mozilla/SeaMonkey is trapped in limbo?

No spellchecking and SeaMonkey is vaporware?

Very odd ... did all of the best programmers go to Firefox and Thunderbird leaving the Mozilla/SeaMonkey team decimated?

I still do not understand the need for Mozilla/Seamonkey. Why not just provide links between Firefox, Thunderbird and other former Mozilla Suite
apps and save the duplicated development. Just seems terribly inefficient to have multiple teams working with similar code -- not to mention about impossible to herd all of those cats! The odds of incompatibilities and two products brain-starved or brain-split so the best of everything is not in one package but divided between them.

Was this a political or technical decision? Sure looks political from the outside looking in! Sigh.

Meanwhile Moxilla in Puppy doesn't seem to import everything from Firefox and Thunderbird meaning losing value in the transfer. I like the idea of an solidly integrated suite but not at the price of lost features.

Is the left hand talking to the right hand at Mozilla/SeaMonkey/Firefox/Thunderbird/Whatever ?

[RANT off]

doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

BarryK
Puppy Master

#11 Post by BarryK »

It must be remembered that the Firefox, Thunderbird, Sunbird developers are all using the Mozilla suite source -- they just compile the part they want rather than the entire suite.

This situation looks like it will continue.

The Seamonkey guys are also supposed to be working with the same source.

There's no problem that Seamonkey will lag behind Firefox etc., as it is all the same source. The only issue that Seamonkey developers are working on is getting the integrated suite working in a harmonious fashion.

The fact that I have compiled from the Mozilla source and have got the suite working very nicely shows that it is all basically okay.
I presume, or hope so, that the Seamonkey guys aren't actually forking off from Mozilla, but fixing bugs and feeding them back to the Mozilla source.

J_Rey

re: edoc's and other's questions

#12 Post by J_Rey »

(Edited a little after I realized Barry posted a reply before I did...)

Edoc, what it seems to me that Barry meant is that he got spell-checking working on his computer and so will release the fixed version with the next release.

Its not really vaporware/abandoned, since the SeaMonkey group (keyword: volunteers) is picking up the development where the Mozilla Foundation supported Mozilla 1.8 developer releases left off (news article). There will still be development, but at a slower pace. But the Suite is pretty mature in its development. Of course, when new features are needed/introduced then bugs are introduced as well.

On that note, I guess they will be adding a Profile Roaming feature to SeaMonkey Suite 1.1 (based on Gecko 1.9), whenever that comes out. In the meantime you can try the third-party tool, MozBackup. I'm not sure if profiles can be shared between different Mozilla-based apps with either method, though.

I remember someone on the Mozilla/SeaMonkey forums/newsgroups guessed that SeaMonkey 1.0 alpha (based on Gecko 1.8 beta4) will be released in a few weeks....

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#13 Post by Lobster »

BarryK wrote: The fact that I have compiled from the Mozilla source and have got the suite working very nicely shows that it is all basically okay.
Using the Mozilla in Puppy 1.0.5 r2, I found that one of the annoying bugs on my machine - grabbing and resizing from bottom right caused the whole browser to move up and the menu bar be off screen - has gone. Hooray. Update: This was due to a buggy "Pinball" theme I installed everytime - it was not due to the Mozilla code
Mozilla is a proven open source browser. With the use of XUL many small programs can be incorporated, making use of the internal libraries. For example file managers.

The important thing is that the browser we have in 1.0.5 is a lot more powerful than Dillo and Dillo as a pupget is a rapid piece of kit.

Puppy also has the Opera Browser as a Pupget and Firefox can just be downloaded and installed.

I have no understanding of the politics around Mozilla but it will survive as will Linux despite the efforts of those with other agendas.

Let's use it and have fun. :)
Last edited by Lobster on Wed 01 Feb 2006, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

babbs

#14 Post by babbs »

I used to try to raise sea monkeys when I was younger, but they never worked out for me. The one or two that I actually got to hatch died soon afterwards. I hope the same doesn't hold true for Mozilla.

J_Rey

SeaMonkey 1.0 Released!

#15 Post by J_Rey »

OK. Now SeaMonkey 1.0 has been released. The source tarballs are also available.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

MU

#16 Post by MU »