hi wiak

everything working fine for me
using the 32 bit version

wow this is really cool

thanks

wanderer

rockedge

#17 Post by rockedge »

you caught my attention...so I am going to set up what you have built.

Looks interesting and I will report if successful..

wiak

#18 Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote:you caught my attention...so I am going to set up what you have built.

Looks interesting and I will report if successful..
Thank you.

Keef

#19 Post by Keef »

Been playing with this on Fatdog, and all working nicely.
In case it is useful to know, sh is a symlink to dash, so behaves differently to bash - no command history, and backspace and arrow keys don't work etc.
If you install and use bash, you will have to 'exit' twice - first from bash, then from the original shell.
I've installed 'base-system', plus mc, nnn, nano and lynx.

rockedge

#20 Post by rockedge »

I created a directory next to a group of frugal puppies called /FirstRib and I put the scripts into it, ran the build, 64 bit.
looks to be successful and was done quickly on the Bionic64-v8 host system

then put both mount and unmount scripts into /FirstRib and ran the mount script and it worked. I used your examples and installed bash and file then used the exit command and ran the unmount script. And added the user root and webuser:webgroup

I then ran the mount script again and the command prompt reflected the bash being installed as noted in the screenshot
Attachments
Screenshot(28).png
(93.64 KiB) Downloaded 1025 times

rockedge

#21 Post by rockedge »

I can't backspace and if I resize the terminal window it pulls lots of prompts. And I get a permission denied /usr/bin/bash...... but I am starting to get the hang of it and will see what I can do with system

wanderer

#22 Post by wanderer »

i installed the x system
and it loaded fine

dropped to console
and mounted

but trying to run startx
says it cant find mcookie

tried to download mcookie
but says not found

wanderer

wiak

#23 Post by wiak »

@wanderer:

Yes, xorg-minimal will install okay. However, since you are running in a chroot, you already have X on your host system. Running X on FirstRib itself will only become relevant if and when FirstRib is booted to run on its own rather than in a chroot (i.e. when an initramfs/initrd with suitable init is written for it). I will work on an initramfs for FirstRib, but I'm busy on other matters just now, so that will be a while in coming. For now, please enjoy using FirstRib commandline mode only, setting up multiple users and whatever (or read up on how to build an initramfs from scratch - there are tutorials out there) - we will deal with how to start X on boot in Void once that initramfs module appears.

wiak

wanderer

#24 Post by wanderer »

thanks wiak

i will keep playing

really cool

wanderer

wiak

#25 Post by wiak »

Keef wrote:Been playing with this on Fatdog, and all working nicely.
In case it is useful to know, sh is a symlink to dash, so behaves differently to bash - no command history, and backspace and arrow keys don't work etc.
If you install and use bash, you will have to 'exit' twice - first from bash, then from the original shell.
I've installed 'base-system', plus mc, nnn, nano and lynx.
Hi Keef and rockedge, Thanks for the reports.

After initial install, /bin/sh should be a symlink to busybox sh actually (not dash) and backspace and command-history should be working. I think they continued to work when I installed dash (and also with bash) but I'd have to check that. I have a feeling, it is important to create the files /etc/passwd and /etc/group before installing dash or bash, but that's just from memory; anyway, I will be creating these txt config files for next version upload. I mentioned how to do it earlier - should be first thing you do - reason being that xbps installation of dash and/or bash might require chmod operations that require on known users in /etc/passwd etc. So you may need to uninstall bash and then re-install it after doing:

Code: Select all

echo "root:x:0:" >/etc/group
echo "root::0:0:FirstRib Admin:/root:/bin/sh" >/etc/passwd
as decribed in above link:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 18#1029018

EDIT: Yes, dash or bash commandline history/backspace worked, from a fresh build, worked after creating /etc/passwd and /etc/group per above commands. After either of these are installed, /bin/sh becomes a symlink to whichever one installed. I do then note a problem if you do try to remove (say bash) at that stage - /bin/sh not a link to them thereafter and problems ensue - not sure how to fix that as yet, though no need to remove bash (or dash) of course, generally, once you've chosen to install it...

EDIT2: I think all is fine, after removing bash (or dash) if you manually re-create the symbolic link:

ln -s /bin/busybox /bin/sh
wiak
Last edited by wiak on Sun 26 May 2019, 21:06, edited 2 times in total.

wiak

#26 Post by wiak »

I'd be interested to know if FirstRib is working from a tinycore/microcore wanderer. It should I expect.

wiak

wanderer

#27 Post by wanderer »

hi wiak

ill try it in core
and report

wanderer

wanderer

#28 Post by wanderer »

hi wiak

the script ran in tinycore

but couldnt make or find some directories
even as root

i think it is a permissions issue

will keep playing and report

wanderer

wiak

#29 Post by wiak »

Hi again Keef and rockedge,

Creating /etc/passwd and /etc/group prior to installing dash or bash seemed to work (history and backspace). But see my note about issue if trying to remove them thereafter in my previous post to you:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 92#1029192

Problem is, that /bin/sh no longer exists as a symlink after removing bash or dash. So what you need to do in that case is re-create the original /bin/sh symlink to /bin/busybox (actually it's in /usr/bin but /bin is itself a symbolic link to that):

ln -s /bin/busybox /bin/sh
wiak
Last edited by wiak on Sun 26 May 2019, 22:35, edited 2 times in total.

wiak

#30 Post by wiak »

I think you'd maybe need to be root user when building/running FirstRib from tinycore wanderer. i.e. su (or sudo su) to root first.

wiak

wiak

#31 Post by wiak »

NOTE: This post is now obsolete. Now using Void base-files template package to initialise /etc/passwd etc.

Version 0.0.2 of the build script uploaded to first post of this thread.

Changes:

includes code to make initial /etc/passwd and /etc/group files:

echo "root:x:0:" >/etc/group
echo "root::0:0:FirstRib Admin:/root:/bin/sh" >/etc/passwd
and also prints version or help (point to github site) if requested, using simple code:

case "$1" in
	'-v'|'--version') echo "FirstRib version 0.0.2";exit;;
	'-h'|'--help'|'-?') echo "For usage visit webpage: https://github.com/firstrib/firstrib";exit;;
esac
I've hoping to not have to add much more (if anything) to FirstRib module build script itself, since keeping as simple to understand as possible.

Additions to the system, such as an initramfs/initrd will be separate modules.

wiak
Last edited by wiak on Sun 04 Aug 2019, 12:03, edited 2 times in total.

wanderer

#32 Post by wanderer »

hi wiak

this is my report on firstrib on tinycore

i have been unable to build it
because tinycore 9
has become excessively picky and unreliable
about allowing the setting of passwds
and becoming global root

so for now its a no go
until i figure out the passwd-root issue

thats one thing i like about puppy
it runs by default as root
the only person a passwd has ever kept out of my system is me

will continue to experiment and report

wanderer

rockedge

#33 Post by rockedge »

I used the most recent script and again created a directory /mnt/sda1/FirstRib-2
I ran the 64 bit script from a Bionic64-v8 host

I installed bash, xorg-minimal xorg-fonts xf86-input-synaptics xf86-video-intel and then leafpad.....all of it works well.

also the terminal functions normally again

wiak

#34 Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: I installed bash, xorg-minimal xorg-fonts xf86-input-synaptics xf86-video-intel and then leafpad.....all of it works well.

also the terminal func
That's good news, rockedge, thanks. I presume you are using it from the chroot and not via some initramfs to boot it independently. If so, how are you sure that leafpad isn't just using the host's X window system, which is what would normally be the case?

wiak

wiak

#35 Post by wiak »

EDIT: fix to backspace in bash at console was to install ncurses-base

Actually, I'm still having trouble with backspace after installing bash (history mechanism is working okay). It's strange, because I thought I tested that earlier and it was working - maybe I've done something daft this time round. Anyone else noticed backspace issue after installing bash and, if so, have you found fix?

I've been busy making simplest possible initramfs version of FirstRib today - just to show it can be booted on its own. That much has worked, though without pre-installing, for example, wifi components, the result is just a proof of concept since just running then in RAM with no internet (and not thus able to use xbps with that one). I'm just doing that simple version (where initial firstrib_rootfs is part of the initramfs), along with void linux kernel, to illustrate how initramfs works at its simplest. But the one I'm experimenting with doesn't, for example set up overlays for save persistence, so just showing the rootfs booting and running in RAM only. Later, I'll add the overlayfs extras and most likely do a switch_root to firstrib_rootfs itself (one that may have wifi and more components added or available via sfs layer).

I'd publish that quick initramfs soon except I want to fix that bash backspace issue if I can first, hence my hoping I'm just imagining it... or that someone else has solved the problem in the meantime.

EDIT: cursor key history mechanism working with bash but not backspace key (i.e. when /bin/sh -> bash). Backspace key working with dash, but not history mechanism (i.e. when /bin/sh -> dash). Both histroy mechanism and backspace key working when /bin/sh -> busybox. Maybe something to do with not using getty here, and no actual login, though busybox sh certainly works fine... Oh well. I haven't had time to study how these mechanisms work and I better publish my simplest initramfs notes some time tomorrow, if I get round to that, before I forget the details. Takes time to write the steps though, and alas I suddenly hit with heavy cold/flu so not feeling like it right now. But I'll come back to it soonish if not quick.

wiak
Last edited by wiak on Sun 04 Aug 2019, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.