GZDoom for Precise, or better [FILLED]

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
Makoto

GZDoom for Precise, or better [FILLED]

#1 Post by Makoto »

In light of John Romero releasing new levels for the original DOOM at the end of this month, does anyone have a version of GZDoom that'll work with Precise 5.7.1 or better?

I tried installing the .deb from the official download site, but it fails.

I'm also not sure what dependencies are currently needed to compile GZDoom, as I couldn't find the list, offhand. Someone quoted this to me back in 2012, but I'm not sure how outdated that list is.

Edit: Here's the wiki page that explains how to compile GZDoom for Linux and its requirements/dependencies: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Compile_GZDoom_on_Linux
Last edited by Makoto on Mon 06 Jan 2020, 10:59, edited 2 times in total.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Makoto:-

Mm. From reading the small print (below the big download icons), it appears that you need to have something called a doom-engine game to begin with.....which this new 'revision' will then find when it fires up.

It then goes on to advise you to purchase one from either Steam or Gog.

I guess it depends on whether you're a dedicated gamer, or just wanting to re-visit this for nostalgic reasons.....

(*shrug*)

I'm guessing that if you tried using the current 32-bit .deb (labelled as 'modern'), it's all too likely it's been compiled against far more up-to-date libraries than Precise possesses. I'd also hazard a guess that from the look of things in t'other thread you linked to, you already know a lot more than me about this stuff anyway...!!

Mike. :wink:

Makoto

#3 Post by Makoto »

Yeah, you've got to have the DOOM.WAD file from the full game. I don't know if the same-named file from the shareware version will work. (And yes, I do have the full game.)

As for the .deb, I don't know if what's in them is compiled against anything that's not in Precise - it never gets to a point where I can test the binaries within. The .debs from that page all fail when I try to install them.
I guess it depends on whether you're a dedicated gamer, or just wanting to re-visit this for nostalgic reasons.....
See the first post. One of the people behind the original DOOM, John Romero, is releasing a new set of levels for the game's 25th anniversary.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Makoto

#4 Post by Makoto »

Can someone generate a .pet from the 32-bit .deb gzdoom archive? After checking around for a bit, it looks like installing from .deb files (any .deb files) has somehow mysteriously become broken on my Precise setup. :oops:

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Easy enough to do yourself, mate.

I can't remember where the hell I found it, or even when.....but install the attached .pet (deb2pet.rpm2pet-0.0.4.pet).

Put the .deb file in a location where you've got enough space for the job. Open a terminal, and then:-

Code: Select all

deb2pet /path/to/your/debfile /path/to/your/.pet
*Example*:- I've just tried this out with a .deb file of gKrellM, the system monitor. I created a directory in /root called 'WORK'. The syntax looked like this (I told it to create the .pet in the same place, y'see):-

Code: Select all

deb2pet ~/WORK/gkrellm_2.3.10-1_i386.deb ~/WORK/gkrellm-2.3.10-i386.pet
Once it's completed the task, the .deb file disappears, and is replaced by a .pet package with the name you've given it. Give it a try, and see how you get on with it. If a dunderhead like me can do it, I reckon anybody can.....and the more of us who can do this sort of thing, the better for the whole community in the long run.

Attachments
deb2pet.rpm2pet-0.0.4.pet
Deb/RPM to .pet conversion utility...
(968 Bytes) Downloaded 324 times
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 10 Jun 2019, 01:05, edited 1 time in total.

Wiz57

#6 Post by Wiz57 »

If deb2petrpm2pet DELETES the original deb or rpm, it might
be prudent to COPY the deb/rpm to the "work" directory, saving
a copy of the downloaded deb/rpm just in case something goes
awry. Just a thought!
Later,
Wiz ;)

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

Wiz57 wrote:If deb2petrpm2pet DELETES the original deb or rpm, it might
be prudent to COPY the deb/rpm to the "work" directory, saving
a copy of the downloaded deb/rpm just in case something goes
awry. Just a thought!
Later,
Wiz ;)
@ Wiz:-

Ya, I should perhaps have added that when I do anything like this, it's always a 'copy' that I work with.....never the original! :lol:

That always remains in my"'.deb store", along with all the others....

I suspect Makoto will know what I meant. :)

Makoto

#8 Post by Makoto »

Umm... yeah. The reason I asked, was because it wasn't working for me. Still isn't.

That was one of the first things I tried, and I just tried it again. Same result. It turns the .deb into a 277-byte .pet that my archiver (Peazip) won't read properly. PPM doesn't complain about the .pet when I install it... but it doesn't actually seem to install anything. The resulting file list for the .pet in .packages is a zero-byte file.

(Sorry - I'm just frustrated because something semi-fundamental appears to be broken on my Precise setup, and I can't figure out why/what could have caused it. Everything else appears to be working fine. :( )

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

I got it to work on Bionicpup64 8.0

Downloaded the GZDoom 4.1.3 Ubuntu 64-bit deb package from here.
https://zdoom.org/downloads
Installed it.

Got the Doom2.wad from here
http://www.pc-freak.net/blog/doom-1-doo ... om-engine/
Installed this wad file in /root/.config/gzdoom

I am using a Nvidia graphics card using the Nvidia driver.
So any kind of graphics is well supported.

Started GZDoom from the menu>Fun>GZDoom
(takes several seconds to start, so give it time)

Seems to be running OK.
A lot of option settings to check and maybe change when you first run it. Repeat, a lot of them. So, check them out before you start playing.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(29.26 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

Ah, I see. Okay; fair enough. Well, if you don't mind uploading the file for me, I'm more than happy to turn it into a .pet for you, if that's what you want.

Use DataFileHost; it's a good one for short-term file-sharing. You can find 'em here:-

http://www.datafilehost.com/

Just let me have the link when you're done uploading; without that, I can't access it, obviously! Actually, now I think about it, won't the .deb file install directly in Precise? They do for me.....or is this all part & parcel of the issues you're having?

Makoto

#11 Post by Makoto »

When I try to install a .deb file in Precise, it currently just fails with no explanation (and I've done it in the past with no problems):

If not for this, I wouldn't have known there was a problem, as I haven't had to install from a .deb in some time, and everything else is working fine. Can't see anything installed that would have had any effect on installing/working with .deb files, either.

The .deb files work fine in my XenialPup setup, though the 64-bit version of gzdoom exits with a complaint that it can't load OpenGL support.

For the 32-bit .deb, you can grab it from gzdoom's download page. In the left-most column (gzdoom downloads), click on the "Ubuntu (Modern, 32-bit)" link.

Sorry for all the trouble. :oops:

Mike Walsh

#12 Post by Mike Walsh »

Nah, no worries, mate. We help each other out, don't we? :)

I must confess, I've had much the same problem with .pets in 571. If I've built a .pet package in any Puppy more recent than 571, it'll refuse to install, giving a very similar message. I've found the solution is to unpack the .pet with SFR's UExtract, then to re-pack it in Precise itself, using Trio's PetMaker app.....a brilliant Puppy tool, which I've used for some years now.

After doing that, it'll install fine..! :?

I think it's largely to do with the type of compression used during packing. Precise, as you probably know, was BK's last 'official' Puppy before he handed over the reins to Micko, and went off pursuing the 'Quirky' line of research (and curiously, the Precise ISO and stuff is actually in the 'Quirky' sub-directory at Ibiblio, so.....); I really wouldn't like to say.

I don't know owt about compression algorithms & all that malarkey; all I am aware of is that later Puppies began using higher compression ratios, and different types of compression.....I suspect Precise simply can't handle them. (*shrug*)

-----------------------------------------

Anyway; I just happen to be in Precise myself today.....it's always been one of my favourite Pups. So; I'll grab that download - assuming I can find it! - and run you up a .pet package for it. And because we're both in the same Pup ATM, it should install OK.
I'll post back with a d/l link for you when I'm done.

Leave it with me.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 10 Jun 2019, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

OK. That didn't take too long.

One .pet package of GZDoom stuff for ya! You can find it here:-

https://www.datafilehost.com/d/6b2c12f6

Click on the small grey 'Download' button on the left-hand side. Let us know how you get on with it, please.....whether it'll install, I mean. (And what happens after that. naturally....! :lol: )

Mike Walsh

#14 Post by Mike Walsh »

Now, then; I've been trying this myself.

Didn't work in Precise. Not the up-to-date download, anyway. Complained that OpenGL wasn't new enough, and it couldn't load the OpenGL functions. Still some experimenting to do there.....

I'm in Xenialpup64 ATM. The 64-bit 'current' download, 4.1.3, gave the same result - OpenGL 'too old'.....but the resulting dialog failure box suggested trying the 'vintage' version. Sooo.....I clicked on the 'Archive' header at the bottom of the downloads. Brings up 'Index of /files/gzdoom'. Click on 'bin' here. Bear with me...

Initially, all you see are a whole bunch of .bin files. But if you scroll all the way down nearly to the bottom, you start to see another bunch of files, marked 'legacy'. Long story short, I've installed 'gzdoom-legacy_3.8.1_amd64.deb', instead. And, after quite a bit of high-speed screen 'flicker', it starts up, good as gold. (Thanks for the links to the WAD files, BTW, bigpup.)

(Long time since I've seen Doom. Never played it, myself, but a mate of mine I used to visit pretty regularly at one time was really into it, and was always playing it on his PS2. So I do at least recognise it..!)

------------------------------------------

I'm going to try one of the older 'legacy' versions in Precise, and see what happens.... Worth a try!!

Mike Walsh

#15 Post by Mike Walsh »

Okay, an update.

As previously stated, gzdoom_legacy-3.8.1 works nicely in Xenialpup64.

I also have gzdoom_legacy-3.5.1 running sweetly in Tahrpup 6.0.6.

But try as I might, even the oldest GZDoom 'legacy' package will not run in Precise 5.7.1. The OpenGL implementation in Precise is simply too old for it. However, the final legacy release of the olderZDoom-2.8.1 will run; perhaps not that smoothly, though when I tried that one I hadn't yet figured out the controls.

In GZDoom, I would never have guessed that 'Ctrl' was the 'Fire' button! I was trying 'Enter', 'Space', any number of the alphanumerics.....but trying 'Ctrl' didn't enter into my head... It's also pretty neat that you can move around simply by means of moving the mouse; nice one! I was expecting to have to do everything by means of the keyboard buttons....

---------------------------------------

Makoto, I've built you a .pet package of the older ZDoom-2.8.1 for Precise. I know it's not what you wanted, but it does run. It also insisted on libSDL2.....this was its first complaint in Precise, followed by the bitching about OpenGL when trying the newer versions. If the .pet won't install for you, then we'll try an SFS package.

If you're interested, you can find it here, at my Google Drive:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bvYUGC ... sp=sharing

I've also taken all five of the WAD files (from the link bigpup provided) - Doom 1, Doom 2, Doom 3, Plutonia & Tnt - and made them up into an archive, here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DoJiEj ... sp=sharing

(I'm assuming you know where these need to go...)

Entirely up to you, of course... Help yourself to what you want.

(Curiously, I, too, found that some of these .deb files won't install. I've discovered this often means that they're what package managers consider to be 'malformed'.....which is why they turn their noses up at 'em.)

-----------------------

(EDIT:- ZDoom 2.8.1 also working well in Slacko 560. It would appear that Puppies of this vintage (2013-ish) don't employ sufficiently new enough versions of OpenGL to be able to run even the older 'legacy' versions of GZDoom, unfortunately.)

(EDIT 2:- The Doom 3 WAD file from bigpup's link may be 'problematic'. I've tried it in a couple of the Pups I've installed Doom in so far, and in both cases it insists there's a 'symbol_lookup_error', so......that one may not be usable. Haven't yet tried the others (Plutonia, Tnt, etc.))

bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

GZDppm basically adds features to whatever Doom version you have it running.

When you start it.
Options will give all kinds of settings that can be changed.
One option screen will provide ability to basically assign any keyboard key to do any action.
What key does what action.
You can keep them as they are now set or change them to some other key.
You can also assign what mouse button does what action.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Makoto

#17 Post by Makoto »

Huh. I never would've guessed the .deb files might be of a newer/different compression, etc. Do you suppose it could also be a bit of forced obsolescence?

I'll have to see what works. I'm beginning to think GZDoom won't work unless I or someone else compiles it specifically under Precise. :(

Edit: Found the wiki page that lists how to compile GZDoom for Linux and the requirements/dependencies... this is probably of note:
The minimum requirement for GZDoom 2.2 and later is OpenGL 2.0, so if you get the following error:

Unsupported OpenGL version.

At least OpenGL 2.0 is required to run GZDoom.

you will have to use GZDoom 1.8.6 instead. Keep in mind that this version is several years old and no longer maintained. It will also have problems with more recent actively maintained mods.
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Compile_GZDoom_on_Linux

Makoto

#18 Post by Makoto »

I haven't spent much time at my desk this week due to a heat wave, but the quote above did give me a hint. So, I checked the gzdoom archive. There was no .deb or other archive for v1.8.6 - but there is a .deb for version 1.8.4.
I had no problems installing the .deb, and once I brought TiMIDIty out of retirement, GZDoom 1.8.4 is running fine... mostly. The graphics glitch randomly whenever there's a lightning strike, and I'm not sure yet what settings I'd have to adjust to try to fix that.

Also, I don't know if it's possible - or how - to change WAD files from within GZDoom, or likewise switch/activate different texture packs (PK3).

So if the current version of GZDoom doesn't work for you, try version 1.8.4 from their archives.

Mike Walsh

#19 Post by Mike Walsh »

Thanks for the tip. I take it 1.8.4 runs in Precise, yes?

I've got newer versions running in most of the other Pups, but older ones are having to make do with ZDoom, instead.

Question; how d'you swap weapons, when using a mouse? :) I've got the hang of using the middle-button to accelerate fast, and the scroll-wheel to swap between gun and fists, but other weapons....?

Makoto

#20 Post by Makoto »

From the sound of it, it should work for older setups with the older OpenGL support. It definitely works for me under Precise, except for the glitching during lightning (a rather minor issue, really), which will probably require some experimenting with the settings. That might only be a problem on my particular hardware and setup, anyway, though.

I'm not sure about using the mouse to switch weapons... too used to using the number keys (1, 2, 3, etc.) to do it. :)