Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Jan 2020, 08:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Ubuntu Dropping All 32-bit Support Going Forward
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 3 of 4 [54 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Author Message
666philb


Joined: 07 Feb 2010
Posts: 3519
Location: wales

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jun 2019, 17:15    Post subject:  

possibly bionicpup64s '32bit_compatibilty_bionicpup64.sfs' may work with the next ubuntu LTS. after that i doubt it though.
_________________
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rockedge


Joined: 11 Apr 2012
Posts: 1455
Location: Connecticut, United States

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jun 2019, 19:36    Post subject:  

Quote:
Too many people rely on the package management system to do everything for them....and when it doesn't, they bitch & moan, rather than getting off their backsides and actually doing something about it.....

It's one thing you can do with Linux. There's a 'manual' solution to every problem, if you're determined enough.



I am messing around for a bit now with wiak's cool script to construct an OS using stuff from Void Linux. To get this far I have since scraped all kinds of libs and packages, including using the kernel from Puppy Linux, together from .deb, tar, rpm from distros like Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora to try out different configurations.

surprising what one can stir in and get a positive result.

info on the Firstrib project->
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=116212
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=11635
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Mike Walsh


Joined: 28 Jun 2014
Posts: 5816
Location: King's Lynn, UK.

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jun 2019, 09:48    Post subject:  

rockedge wrote:
Quote:
Too many people rely on the package management system to do everything for them....and when it doesn't, they bitch & moan, rather than getting off their backsides and actually doing something about it.....

It's one thing you can do with Linux. There's a 'manual' solution to every problem, if you're determined enough.



I am messing around for a bit now with wiak's cool script to construct an OS using stuff from Void Linux. To get this far I have since scraped all kinds of libs and packages, including using the kernel from Puppy Linux, together from .deb, tar, rpm from distros like Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora to try out different configurations.

surprising what one can stir in and get a positive result.

info on the Firstrib project->
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=116212
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=11635


Which all goes to prove what I've said before.....and why you can mix'n'match all kinds of stuff from no end of different sources.

.Deb, .rpm, tar.gz, .txz.....these are simply packaging conventions, to work with different distros package managers. All we're interested in is the contents of the package.....not the package itself.

I've got no end of stuff running by obtaining packages from pkgs.org, extracting the contents, then using the relevant bits from inside. You still have to try & make sure you get the appropriate version.....but more often than not, it'll work.

You try doing this in Windoze.... Rolling Eyes


Mike. Wink

_________________
MY 'PUPPY' PACKAGES

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 4156
Location: Worcestershire, UK

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jul 2019, 14:23    Post subject:  

A glimmer of hope.... time will tell if sufficient 32-bit packages are provided to make a Pup....

https://ubuntu.com/blog/statement-on-32-bit-i386-packages-for-ubuntu-19-10-and-20-04-lts

_________________
LxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
ozsouth

Joined: 01 Jan 2010
Posts: 642
Location: S.E Australia

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jul 2019, 18:35    Post subject:  

From Peebee's Ubuntu link above - something to consider:
Quote:
There is real risk to anybody who is running a body of software that gets little testing. The facts are that most 32-bit x86 packages are hardly used at all. That means fewer eyeballs, and more bugs. Software continues to grow in size at the high end, making it very difficult to even build new applications in 32-bit environments. You’ve heard about Spectre and Meltdown – many of the mitigations for those attacks are unavailable to 32-bit systems.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
darry19662018

Joined: 31 Mar 2018
Posts: 674
Location: Rakaia

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jul 2019, 18:42    Post subject:  

Why do they simply not make 32bit a community project surely somebody or a group of individuals to look after that as a community effort.

It is not rocket science. Again this is not about it is hard to maintain 32bit and 64bit - this decision comes out of Laziness on Canonical's part - pure and simple. The too hard basket. Evil or Very Mad

_________________
Puppy Linux Wiki: http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage

https://freemedia.neocities.org/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
darry19662018

Joined: 31 Mar 2018
Posts: 674
Location: Rakaia

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jul 2019, 23:34    Post subject:  

https://news.softpedia.com/news/linux-mint-20-and-future-releases-will-drop-support-for-32-bit-installations-526601.shtml
_________________
Puppy Linux Wiki: http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage

https://freemedia.neocities.org/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Burn_IT


Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Posts: 3625
Location: Tamworth UK

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jul 2019, 08:34    Post subject:  

Quote:
You try doing this in Windoze.... Rolling Eyes


Never even thought about it as a problem!!!

_________________
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ozsouth

Joined: 01 Jan 2010
Posts: 642
Location: S.E Australia

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jul 2019, 19:57    Post subject:  

@darry - I think it's just economics - they don't want to pay anyone to do 32bit. A community fork is a good idea, but I'm not savvy enough to contribute much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
darry19662018

Joined: 31 Mar 2018
Posts: 674
Location: Rakaia

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul 2019, 02:31    Post subject:  

ozsouth wrote:
@darry - I think it's just economics - they don't want to pay anyone to do 32bit. A community fork is a good idea, but I'm not savvy enough to contribute much.


Hi Ozsouth,

I am not up to the skill level required either to help out Ubuntu but I'm sure there must be people who can - hopefully.

_________________
Puppy Linux Wiki: http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage

https://freemedia.neocities.org/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
darry19662018

Joined: 31 Mar 2018
Posts: 674
Location: Rakaia

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul 2019, 02:32    Post subject:  

ozsouth wrote:
@darry - I think it's just economics - they don't want to pay anyone to do 32bit. A community fork is a good idea, but I'm not savvy enough to contribute much.


Hi Ozsouth,

I am not up to the skill level required either to help out Ubuntu but I'm sure there must be people who can - hopefully.

_________________
Puppy Linux Wiki: http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage

https://freemedia.neocities.org/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
s243a

Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 2358

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul 2019, 06:55    Post subject:  

darry19662018 wrote:
ozsouth wrote:
@darry - I think it's just economics - they don't want to pay anyone to do 32bit. A community fork is a good idea, but I'm not savvy enough to contribute much.


Hi Ozsouth,

I am not up to the skill level required either to help out Ubuntu but I'm sure there must be people who can - hopefully.


Couldn't they just use Debian packages for any package that they don't want to compile? Granted even this might require some adjustments (e.g. startup scripts).

_________________
Find me on minds and on pearltrees.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 3249
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul 2019, 07:36    Post subject:  

Burn_IT wrote:
Quote:
You try doing this in Windoze.... Rolling Eyes


Never even thought about it as a problem!!!

Comparing the difficulty of Linux compatibality with the ease of a one for all versions installation for windows is laughable. I use Racy, Precise, Tahr and Xenial. I need a different compilation of VLC for each of the distributions notwithstanding the fact that Precise, Tahr and Xenial are all ubuntu based. Really annoying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
s243a

Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 2358

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul 2019, 09:22    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
Burn_IT wrote:
Quote:
You try doing this in Windoze.... Rolling Eyes


Never even thought about it as a problem!!!

Comparing the difficulty of Linux compatibality with the ease of a one for all versions installation for windows is laughable. I use Racy, Precise, Tahr and Xenial. I need a different compilation of VLC for each of the distributions notwithstanding the fact that Precise, Tahr and Xenial are all ubuntu based. Really annoying.


For compatibility, I think that the libc (AKA glibc) version is more inportant. Linux developers for greater compatibility could compile their software on older systems but people might worry that older versions of the libs might have security issues. Perhaps one price we pay for on linux by not having as great a need for anti-virus is a greater requirment to have the newest libs.

I wonder though if the older libs (actually have security issues if they?) could be patched (I.e. a minor version upgrade).

_________________
Find me on minds and on pearltrees.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 3249
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul 2019, 11:01    Post subject:  

s243a wrote:
nic007 wrote:
Burn_IT wrote:
Quote:
You try doing this in Windoze.... Rolling Eyes


Never even thought about it as a problem!!!

Comparing the difficulty of Linux compatibality with the ease of a one for all versions installation for windows is laughable. I use Racy, Precise, Tahr and Xenial. I need a different compilation of VLC for each of the distributions notwithstanding the fact that Precise, Tahr and Xenial are all ubuntu based. Really annoying.


For compatibility, I think that the libc (AKA glibc) version is more inportant. Linux developers for greater compatibility could compile their software on older systems but people might worry that older versions of the libs might have security issues. Perhaps one price we pay for on linux by not having as great a need for anti-virus is a greater requirment to have the newest libs.

I wonder though if the older libs (actually have security issues if they?) could be patched (I.e. a minor version upgrade).

It's not only the version of libs that is the drawback...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 4 [54 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0756s ][ Queries: 11 (0.0145s) ][ GZIP on ]