Puppy only gives 1024 x 768 laptop screen resolution

For drivers and kernel modules.
Lunos

#31 Post by Lunos »

Mike Walsh wrote:One bit of advice. WINE problems, we generally sort out in open forum. Version 2013, though the Puppy 'guru' of building WINE packages, very rarely if ever answers questions on that thread. I think he's shy! :lol:
I guess I should make a new thread for the issue then? I left a reply in his thread regardless.
Mike Walsh wrote:What problem are you having, specifically? If you start a separate topic for it, we'll do what we can.....OK?
Well, I basically installed the wine64-4.11_v4.1.pet package and when I tried to use winecfg just to test things out, I got a bunch of errors.
https://pastebin.com/Ej3G8hkU
Mike Walsh wrote:(One point - and this isn't finding fault, but.....are you sure your screen is only 1366x768?? Mine's 1024x768, and I'm having to scroll nearly 3 times the width of my screen to be able to read your posts..!) :?
Well, the only thing I'm sure of is that my current screen resolution is 1366x768, and that's how I want it to be :D

I do think the forum might have some Line Wrapping problems, because sometimes I also need to scroll to the right to read a full post.

It seems to be pretty barebones, because of that and because of the lack of basic functions like being able to hide others users' signatures.

Mike Walsh

#32 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Lunos.

With regard to the nature of the forum itself, you have to realise that this isn't a large forum run by a whole bunch of people, who get financing through advertising, etc.

The Puppy Forums are provided solely by a single individual, and paid for totally out of his own pocket. John Murga, as I understand it, is good friends with Barry K, who started Puppy over 15 years ago; the pHp forum software is a very elderly version, which has been 'patched' on multiple occasions over the years. I believe it would cost more, in real terms, to upgrade everything than John really wants to pay.....on top of which, I don't think he has the time to spare any longer.

Be that as it may, it works well enough for our purposes. We've gotten used to its 'quirks' & shortcomings, and are rather fond of it! One thing's for certain; no matter who you are, or where in the world you hail from, this is the very best place on t' web to get help with any & all Puppy issues.....

Mike. :wink:

Lunos

#33 Post by Lunos »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hi, Lunos.

With regard to the nature of the forum itself, you have to realise that this isn't a large forum run by a whole bunch of people, who get financing through advertising, etc.

The Puppy Forums are provided solely by a single individual, and paid for totally out of his own pocket. John Murga, as I understand it, is good friends with Barry K, who started Puppy over 15 years ago; the pHp forum software is a very elderly version, which has been 'patched' on multiple occasions over the years. I believe it would cost more, in real terms, to upgrade everything than John really wants to pay.....on top of which, I don't think he has the time to spare any longer.

Be that as it may, it works well enough for our purposes. We've gotten used to its 'quirks' & shortcomings, and are rather fond of it! One thing's for certain; no matter who you are, or where in the world you hail from, this is the very best place on t' web to get help with any & all Puppy issues.....

It does its job and it does it fine. That's all that matters.
Besides, I like its simplistic look :)

Unrelated: I thought that disabling the automatic saves would solve my problem, but my PC keeps freezing every 15-20 minutes :/
Last time it happened I had the Task Manager opened and I was able to see that the Lxtask and XOrg processes were using my CPU like crazy.
Any clues what could be causing it? The only thing I have visibly opened besides the apps in the taskbar (like the battery and disk usage meters) was Mozilla Firefox 67.

bigpup

#34 Post by bigpup »

Look in Firefox preferences and see what it is setup to do automatically.
Look at any web pages you have it accessing.
Web pages now seem to have all kinds of things going on in the background.
New pop ups, videos playing, and changing, etc......
Who knows how much memory those things are burning up.
Check the cache size limit settings.

Try having Firefox not running and see if you still have freezing.

Have you done a Xenialpup updates?
Quickpet>Info>Xenialpup updates
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Lunos

#35 Post by Lunos »

bigpup wrote:Look in Firefox preferences and see what it is setup to do automatically.
Look at any web pages you have it accessing.
Web pages now seem to have all kinds of things going on in the background.
New pop ups, videos playing, and changing, etc......
Who knows how much memory those things are burning up.
Check the cache size limit settings.

Try having Firefox not running and see if you still have freezing.

Have you done a Xenialpup updates?
Quickpet>Info>Xenialpup updates
One of the first things I always do with Firefox is tweak it a little bit. Disk Cache is set to 0, so it's Disabled.
I'm also using uBlock Origin with Nano Defender to avoid most of the ads, trackers and other scummy things that webpages nowadays use to steal data.

I forgot to get the Xenialpup Updates, but I did it just now. Let's hope that solves it.

I'm gonna try to stay 20 minutes with the browser closed, to see if it still happens.

Any clues about the issue with Wine though? Right now, I would love to solve that. I guess there's a font I have to install to take care of the first few errors, but what about the others?
EDIT: Solved it. I just had to execute ldconfig again, like it was mentioned in this post.
EDIT2: I also solved my issue with the audio too by installing the libmpg123-0_1.12.1-3_i386 deb package found here.

EDIT2: My PC almost froze just now, again. This time, I was able to kill Firefox and take a pic with the Task Manager opened.
Any clues? I think JWM could be causing it, but idk how can I fix it, if it is.

EDIT3: I reinstalled Firefox and made sure to avoid the forced update to 67, so right now I'm using Firefox 57, hoping that the problem comes from Firefox 67.

EDIT4: The issue is still there somewhat. I'm still getting freezes with Firefox 57, but they're less pronounced/seemingly dangerous as when it happened with Firefox 67.
This time I can actually kill the process and restart the browser without worrying about having the whole PC freeze on me.
I don't know if there's some missing libraries, or if the Linux version of Firefox just sucks.

bigpup

#36 Post by bigpup »

Firefox just sucks and has for sometime now.

Xenialpup comes with the Pale Moon browser
It is developed by people that left Firefox, because they did not like the way Firefox was going.
Never had a problem using it.

Before trying anything else and anything more invasive, simply launch your Firefox with all extensions and addons disabled:
From inside Firefox go to menu icon > help > restart with disabled add-ons.

In case Firefox with all add-ons disabled does no longer freeze, you can start identifying which add-ons is to be blamed by re-enabling one add-on at a time, till the freezes re-occur. The add-on which you re-enabled last very likely is the culprit. Disable it again and restart Firefox.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Lunos

#37 Post by Lunos »

bigpup wrote:Firefox just sucks and has for sometime now.

Xenialpup comes with the Pale Moon browser
It is developed by people that left Firefox, because they did not like the way Firefox was going.
Never had a problem using it.

Before trying anything else and anything more invasive, simply launch your Firefox with all extensions and addons disabled:
From inside Firefox go to menu icon > help > restart with disabled add-ons.

In case Firefox with all add-ons disabled does no longer freeze, you can start identifying which add-ons is to be blamed by re-enabling one add-on at a time, till the freezes re-occur. The add-on which you re-enabled last very likely is the culprit. Disable it again and restart Firefox.
I don't really like Pale Moon. It lacks updates and it lacks AddOns.
As for Firefox, so far so good. I disabled the RAM cache by setting browser.cache.memory.enable to False in about:config and things have been seemingly working fine so far. Gonna come back if anything happens.

bigpup

#38 Post by bigpup »

PaleMoon does update.
How to do updates has changed in recent versions.
In the past it was a sperate program you run.
Now it is built into Pale Moon.

If you did Quickpet>Info>Xenialpup updates.

The old Pale Moon update should be fixed for the new way.
Run this program.
menu>Internet>PaleMoon Update

That should update Pale Moon to a version that now has the Update built into Pale Moon.
Running that version of Pale Moon
You get update options in the PaleMoon>preferences>Advanced>Update
And PaleMoon>help>Check for Updates

I have my PaleMoon set to look for updates, but ask to apply them.
Just updated it to latest version.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#39 Post by bigpup »

PaleMoon Add-ons is a little lacking, but there are some.

PaleMoon>Tools>Add-ons>Get Add-ons>Pale Moon add-ons site>Extensions

Example:

Ublock Origins

Privacy & Security
uBlock Origin Updater
Follow info on getting Ublock installed and also install this updater.

A little funky on how to do it, but it works.
Attachments
Screenshot(6).jpg
(25.31 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#40 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Lunos:-

Well, I understand you don't like Palemoon; you've made that quite plain. Many of us, though, do find Palemoon's a good, general browser for day-to-day surfing. It's lightweight, has a relatively small memory footprint, and runs well with Puppy.

Of course, there's no reason why you can't run more than one browser, y'know. I do myself, around 4-5 in every one of my Pups, for one, simple reason; because no browser is capable of being good at everything you want it to do. They all have their pros & cons.

In case you want to try an up-to-date version of Palemoon, here's the very latest, packed as a 'portable'. The advantage of these is that you can put these anywhere you want, and run them from there, too.....making them ideal for placing outside of 'Puppy-space' - the save-file/folder.

Navigate through, and help yourself to which one you want:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

When you've downloaded it, untar it. Inside, you'll find a directory called 'palemoon32' or 'palemoon64', depending on your architecture. A good place to put this is in /mnt/home, but you can also run these from a USB stick if you wish.

Inside, there's a script called 'plmn'. First time you click on this, it'll create Palemoon's profile directory, (called 'profile', aptly) inside the main one; populate it, and fire up the browser. Second and subsequent times you start via this script, it'll fire up the browser and always use the 'internal' profile. And that's why you can move this browser around from one place to another.

Entirely up to you, of course.

perdido

#41 Post by perdido »

Lunos wrote:
I don't really like Pale Moon. It lacks updates and it lacks AddOns.
Palemoon does not lack AddOns. It can use all the old firefox XPI based AddOns that can no longer be used in firefox.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115662

PS.- Turn on updates if you wish for that Tools-->Preferences-->Advanced-->Update
Put a tick in the "Automatically install updates" box :)