"could not find kernel image" message

Booting, installing, newbie
retry3

"could not find kernel image" message

#1 Post by retry3 »

I had tahr64 6.0.5 as frugal install for a long time. Many problems cropped up over time, so I tried to start anew.

I did not delete anything

Downloaded new tahr 64 6.0.5 iso to disk and did a new frugal install.

When I was prompted to save the new Puppy install, I gave it a new name.

The new name never showed up on startup when Puppy says it is "searching for puppy files".

It seems like the new install never went into effect.

Still had many problems in mounting petitions, downloading, moving files.
email and browsing, which I could list if it would help.

When I try pfix=ram or clean up or a couple of other things that I can't accurately remember, I get the message "could not find kernel image" and puppy then loads my old saved settings.

It is very difficult trying to use Puppy now.

How I can get a fresh, clean start with a functioning Puppy is more important
than anything else.

Any elemental specific advice would be appreciated.

Regards

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Several things you could do, but need this info.

Is Tahrpup being installed to the computers hard drive?

Is Tahrpup the only OS on the hard drive?
If No.
What is the other OS?

Is Tahrpup installed to a partition that only has Tahrpup on it?
If yes.
What format is the partition?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

retry3

#3 Post by retry3 »

Hey bigpup, thanks for the quick reply.

I don't think I have puppy installed on the hard drive because, as I mentioned,

did a frugal install which, as a I understand it, means that only a save file is

put on the hard drive; if that means that I have puppy on the hard drive, then

the only clue I have as to where it is to a path that Pfind says the save file is

located at : /initrd/mnt/dev_save/tahr64save_BareBones190109.3fs

I know Widows7 is on the hard drive.

I don't know how to to find out the partition that might have Tahrpup on it, sorry.

Standing by -

retry3

#4 Post by retry3 »

Hey bigpup, upon re-reading your post, I think I may have misunderstood your first question.

tahr64 is not "being" installed on the hard drive, I only want to run from a live CD, which is why I tried another frugal install.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Regards

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, retry. Sounds like you've got yourself in a bit of a pickle, old son.

I take it you want to keep your Win 7 install, yes?

I'm trying to fathom out just exactly how you've installed Tahr64. Surely, you must have some idea of where you've installed it to? One thing's for certain, I'm afraid; as long as you leave that Tahr64 save-file where it is, it'll just keep right on loading it every time. And, from the sound of things, all your 'issues' are by now an integral part of that save-file, so unless you're prepared to sort out those issues, you really need to start from scratch again. Which means either deleting the old save-file, and starting over again - or, if you can't bring yourself to get rid of it, then either moving it to a different location, or re-naming it so that Pup no longer sees it....

Tahrpup64 was Phil B's first ever 64-bit Puppy. It was something of a learning curve for all of us who elected to 'test-drive' it, especially Phil himself. To his ever-lasting credit, just about all the problems did eventually get fixed, and Tahr64 became quite a good Puppy.

If you want to stick with a 64-bit Puppy, then I, personally, would recommend its successor, Xenialpup64. Phil learnt from his escapades with Tahr, and Xenial has just been that much smoother from the word go. I dumped my Tahr64 install some time ago (like you, I had multiple issues with it.....mostly self-inflicted, but I really couldn't be bothered to re-do from scratch, since my Pups are so highly-customized), and for my main 64-bit Pup, I now run Xenialpup64 7.5. I'm it at the moment (first time for over a week; I run around 10 Pups in total, most of which are 32-bitzers.....radky's DPup 'Stretch' 7.5 being my current favourite). I tend to use it for building my Chrome packages, and testing out AppImages and similar 'portable' stuff, since most new software is now going 64-bit only.

----------------------------------------------------

If I was in your shoes, I would remove every trace of Tahr64 from your machine. I would download the Xenialpup64 7.5 ISO from the main Puppy home page.....and I would install it using noryb009's LICK installer, which you can get from here:-

https://github.com/noryb009/lick/releases/tag/v1.3.3

Forum thread is here:-

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61404

If you download the .exe file, along with the Xenial64 ISO before wiping Tahr off there, you can do the whole thing from Windows 7; it'll install Xenial64 for you, along with creating a dual-boot Menu, thus allowing you to select whether you want to boot into Windows or Puppy.

Just a suggestion, of course; you may decide you want to go with somebody else's advice, instead.

(EDIT:- My apologies; I must have been composing when you posted. In that case, run Xenialpup64 as a LiveCD, and create a new save-file as you go. The Tahr save-file will be ignored, since Xenial's not looking for that...)

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 26 Jul 2019, 10:00, edited 2 times in total.

Computer semi-expert

#6 Post by Computer semi-expert »

Did you install GRUB or Grub4Dos? And even if you did, you could try reinstalling it anyway. It's worth a shot.

As far as your partitions, you could run GParted and take a screenshot of all your disks. Then upload it here.

And BTW, installs DO install Puppy to your hard drive. For just a slackosave, boot from your CD with pfix=ram and choose to save settings at shutdown.

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

retry3 wrote:Hey bigpup, upon re-reading your post, I think I may have misunderstood your first question.

tahr64 is not "being" installed on the hard drive, I only want to run from a live CD, which is why I tried another frugal install.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Regards
OK you boot from a live CD of Tahrpup64 6.0.5
The save is on the computers hard drive, someplace.
It should be named something like:
Example:
tahrpup64save.2fs or .3fs or .4fs.
Depends on how you named it when you made it, but tahrpup64 should be in the name.

Delete the save file.

Reboot with the CD and it should boot like a fresh new first time boot, not using a save.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

retry3

Update & Thanks

#8 Post by retry3 »

Hey
bigpup
Mike Walsh
computer semi-expert

Thanks - helped and learned a few things

I deleted the original SAVE file and some other files that had tahr in their name and started over running the CD. After a couple of re-boots things seem to be good so far. Great!

I will give Xenial a careful try

Regards