Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 04 Jul 2020, 03:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Wishlist for future builds
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
rufwoof

PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov 2019, 22:46    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
I dislike the expectation that everything should be done through the terminal; yes, I know the terminal is a huge part of what makes Linux as powerful as it is, but it's like learning another language....and languages were never my strong point. I'll use it where necessary (it does have it's uses, it's true), but I'm never happier than when physically moving things around in the file-system, setting up sym-links, deleting, copying, moving, etc., etc. To my way of thinking, trying to do stuff with the terminal has a very remote, 'detached' feel to it, as though you're not really there in person.....I dunno, it's hard to explain.

Many hereabouts prefer urxvt, personally I prefer tilda terminal for its Quake like show/hide functionality. I have set F1 as the show/hide toggle for my tilda setup. Press F1 and it shows to near full screen (just leaves the bottom gui desktop tray still visible), press F1 again and tilda hides (reveals the normal gui desktop).

mc is a great file manager/text editor, ncurses vlc (as per the above image) along with alsamixer and alsa equaliser, calcurse for diary, htop, bmon, iftop for system monitoring, a text file containing all my bookmarks where under tilda you can hover over a url to select it, click it to have it open in Chrome (or whatever), whilst being easy to edit (add new links/remove unwanted links). All in separate tilda tabs that I have across the top of screen given that my gui windows/tray is at the bottom of screen. I mount my android phone using sshfs so it appears as just another folder, as do I mount hashbang (my preferred ssh server) that I also ssh into and have tmux running that continually runs a number of programs (which I use for email, irc, bbs's ...etc. so when I ssh in and reattach to the tmux session they're all instantly back to as how they were left, but where I can scroll back and view all the irc posts posted since my last visit).

Overall I'd estimate I use chrome the most, but cli/tui (text user interface) a very close second. Other gui/desktop programs ... much less so. But I can also use my phone for gui likes programs/apps, and when running/doing things on remote boxes, cli wins by far compared to using X-forwarding or suchlike.

The ease of using a combination of both gui and tui/cli makes *nix great. Yes some predominately use just gui and hate to go anywhere near a terminal, but that's their choice. I personally see that as trying to do things with one arm tied down.

vlc ncurses even runs without X even loaded, video's display full screen (framebuffer) and left/right arrow keys move you through the video. If I want to see what network activity is occurring at any time, F1 to show tilda, select iftop and .... the details there

... or the bmon tab

... or see if I need to take a umbrella

... or htop, my calendar/diary ...etc.
To initially load/launch those tabs up, I have a ncurses menu tilda tab

... which being 'terminal' ... doesn't even need X to be running, works both at the 'cli' and within X.

... and all just a F1 toggle press away.

Oh - and then there is the Fatdog menu button in the bottom left corner .. that I do sometimes use ... for the likes of starting Libre Writer/whatever. But for me that's a relatively infrequently used Menu button.

EDIT: edited to cross link this post http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1041977#1041977

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh

Last edited by rufwoof on Sun 17 Nov 2019, 12:17; edited 1 time in total
rufwoof

PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov 2019, 23:07    Post subject: Re: Wishlist for future builds
Subject description: A list of features and changed that I would like to be implemented in future versions of Puppy Linux

s243a wrote:
BTW, other options you have is to run puppy in ram and only save once you've tested a change or you can use fatdog64's multi-save usb option. With this multi-save option you can simply delete your last changes.

Yeah! Great choice IMO (what I use). Boot from usb, multi-session saves back to usb, where each 'save' adds another (save) sfs. So you have a audit trail. Mostly once I've configured things as I like I don't use save, just boot, use, shutdown without saving. What's good is that you can have everything copied to and run from ram so the usb can be unplugged after bootup, so the MBR, bootloader, kernel ... etc are all physically isolated out of harms way.

When the number of save files (sfs's) becomes high, you can boot, delete all of the save sfs's, run 'save' and it consolidates all of those saves back into just a single sfs.

Fatdog contains Bulldog, a cli version (initrd, prior to the main Fatdog being loaded), which works great as a cli/tui system. I have a version of Bulldog that weighs in at 11.7MB, a single vmlinuz boot file that has all of firmware/modules for my hardware built into that kernel, along with the initrd (that gets me to wifi net connected, has mc, OpenSSH, OpenSSL, kexec ...etc.). I can do quite a bit with just that (email, browsing, irc ...etc.), and it boots really quickly (a second or so). And Fatdog is really stable/solid, the Fatdog team have done a really great job of improving it with each release.

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 16 Nov 2019, 07:40    Post subject:  

Quote:
Somehow, however, StretchDog screwed up by boot loader, because my computer couldn't load ANY operating system after this. I had to live boot into MX Linux to restore the boot loader after this.

Multi-booting in the Linux world is always a challenge - even with the mainstream distros. You can't let Linux B's install procedure step on Linux A's bootloader.

I just finished a standard install of Mint on sda1 and some Pup/Dog frugal installs on sda2. I did NOT let the Pup/Dogs set up their own bootloaders.

Instead, I registered them in Mint's 40_custom GRUB config file. Now they launch from Mint's GRUB boot menu.
Page 2 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to: