Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 18 Aug 2019, 09:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Use 'Kindle for PC' on Bionicpup64_8 CE
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
mouldy

PostPosted: Tue 13 Aug 2019, 14:52    Post subject:  Use 'Kindle for PC' on Bionicpup64_8 CE  

This isnt very intuitive, but easy once you figure it out. Use Puppy Quickpet in the menu and first install 64bit WINE pet. Then still using Quickpet, install 32bit compatibility SFS. Yes this will install in full install Puppy though you will get warning that its experimental on full install Puppy.

Now install Kindle for PC 1.16 or 1.17. Register and it works. The dictionary does work though takes bit effort, wont work first try after downloading. Have to unenable it, then reboot and re-enable it. Maybe more than once. Oh and disable automated updates. It tries to download newer version then complains it cant install it. Wastes time and bandwidth.

There are other handy small windows programs that work in WINE, but for me I wouldnt bother with WINE except to run Kindle for PC. Time will tell how long this will work, 1.17 is last version that runs in WINE, so once Amazon deprecates 1.16 and 1.17, unless some clever person figures out how to make later version work, that will be it. 1.15 and earlier have been deprecated and no longer work.

I get companies not wanting to make a special linux version for relatively small market share, but exactly how would it be that difficult to make sure they work in some version of WINE? Cant be seriously more expensive.
LeithR

PostPosted: Wed 14 Aug 2019, 03:23    Post subject:  

There is an ebook reader (calibre) in quickpet > Net. Does it have to be Kindle?
ndujoe1

PostPosted: Wed 14 Aug 2019, 07:51    Post subject: Kindle for PC  

You don't need the overhead of installing Wine.

Use Google Chrome and go to the Google play store and add App :Kindle Cloud reader

Log into your account and all of your ebook content will be available on your computer.
mouldy

PostPosted: Wed 14 Aug 2019, 12:58    Post subject:  

Kindle books use DRM. If you wanted to use Calibre, you would have to install its unofficial addon from Apprentice Alf, to let it de-DRM books. Books I probably only read once in this lifetime. You would still need Kindle somewhere just to download the books. Calibre cant download books from Amazon. I have in past played with Apprentice Alf addon and it usually works, but there are some books it wont convert. Still lot hoop jumping for a one time read of free fiction book.

I have tried the Cloud Reader addon for Chrome. Dont like it, its tedious to make it store books to use offline. Yes it can be done, but not worth the effort for most part. If you have constant high speed connection it might work for you. It just felt kludgy and unintuitive to me. Not a pleasant experience.

Kindle For PC 1.17 works for time being. I have been thinking about Kindle for Android app in an emulator. I did google enough to find one guy that got it working in Genymotion emulator. Using any Android app on big screen with mouse not ideal. But if nobody figures out how to make newer Kindle for PC work with WINE, then this might be way to go when Amazon deprecates the last of versions that work in WINE.

Once installed to where its functional, WINE is not a problem. Oh not ideal for antique marginal computers, but any dual core, even early ones should have no problem. Fastest of single core work too. Kindle for PC doesnt require a lot of processing power. Think of it as an ebook reader with encryption. The encryption stuff is biggest heaviest part of it.

Course even current Kindle for PC 1.26? works in win7. I have a n-lited version of win7 around here somewhere. Can run it in a virtual machine I suppose. I have a n-lited version winXP too that is truly small and fast, but Kindle for PC 1.16 was last version that worked in XP.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: