WINE-related error messages in terminal

Booting, installing, newbie
ereru

WINE-related error messages in terminal

#1 Post by ereru »

Hi,

I'm running Slacko 5.6 frugally installed on a Thinkpad laptop. I've used this Pup for quite a while, but have only just noticed the following issue:

If I try to open any program via the command line with "start program_name", I get the following list of error codes (or something very similar) every time:
0025:err:hid:PNP_AddDevice Cannot parse Report Descriptor
0025:err:plugplay:handle_bus_relations AddDevice failed for driver L"WineHID"
0025:err:plugplay:try_add_device Building report descriptor failed, removing device
0025:err:plugplay:try_add_device Building report descriptor failed, removing device
0009:fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file.
ShellExecuteEx failed: File not found.
(The programs work fine if opened via their menu shortcuts or without the start command).

From what I can see, these errors are related to the Windows emulator WINE, but I have no idea why. I've tried uninstalling WINE and installing a newer version, but no change.

My Linux knowledge is limited and I'd appreciate if anyone could tell me what is happening with the above.

Thanks in advance.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

What Windows program are you running when you get this?
(The programs work fine if opened via their menu shortcuts or without the start command).
start command is not needed in Puppy. Only the name of the exec for the program. Usually the name of the program.

If the program will run, as you say, by doing it this way.
Be happy and do not worry about any errors you see by trying to run in terminal.
Wine does a lot of work a rounds to make Windows programs work in Linux.

I assume you have run Wine config and setup Wine for how it works.
Windows version to emulate.
Drive setup.
Sound setup.
etc......
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

ereru

#3 Post by ereru »

Thanks for the reply. I get a similar output when I run any Linux program using the "start" command. For example, "start dogradio" gives me:

Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file.
ShellExecuteEx failed: File not found.

# wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x7ecf1db8 at address 0x7ed9f6a7 (thread 0027), starting debugger...
0027:err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger ("winedbg --auto 30 48") (1115)
Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger
I know it's normal to get error messages when opening a program via the terminal, but I found all these WINE-related messages odd. I came across this issue by chance while testing something, I wouldn't normally use the "start" command to run a program.

I do have WINE set up as far as I know.

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, ereru. And Image to the 'kennels'.

Wine-related errors in Slacko 5.6.0, hmm? O-kay. Now; tell me. When you say you 'uninstalled' WINE, did you remove everything? Reason I ask is because there's a lot of WINE-specific directories & files that are only created after you've run the

Code: Select all

winecfg
.....command, which then sets up the sandboxed WINE 'environment'. In the normal course of uninstalling WINE, these will be left behind, and can interfere with subsequent re-installs, y'see.

I run Slacko 560 myself - it's one of my favourite day-to-day Puppies, 'cos of its stability. I also use WINE. Have done ever since I started with Pup, over 5 years ago. I use a couple of Windows graphics apps, for which I can't find the same combination of features anywhere else.....and I've been using these same two apps for more than a decade, so have become very 'handy' with them!

----------------------------------------

Anyway. After uninstalling WINE itself, check and make sure these directories have also gone - if not, then delete them manually.:-

- /root/.wine (the main, WINE environment). Hidden files are denoted with a '.'; to show these, click on the 'eye' symbol in ROX's menu-bar.

- /root/.cache/wine, and /root/.cache/winetricks (this latter may or may not be present)

- /usr/lib/wine (this contains all the 'fake' DLLs, so will be specific to the individual version of WINE)
- /usr/lib/libwine.so.1
- /usr/lib/libwine.so.1.0

These last 3 may be in /usr/lib32, instead. version2013 began using this location for later WINE builds, instead of /usr/lib. ATM, we don't know which build of WINE you're using.

- /usr/local/WineColorSetter

- /usr/share/wine

ONLY when all these have been removed, can you finally consider WINE to be truly 'uninstalled'. :)

----------------------------------

If you want to re-install WINE again, after carrying out all the above steps, perform a re-boot (this makes sure all the changes have been committed to your save-file).

THEN, I would recommend using version2013's WINE 3.3-v2.1 (download it from HERE). Click to install, as usual.

After that, download and install the following:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/90ajqu4z4 ... y.pet/file

All this does is to place a MenuEntry for WineCFG into Menu->System; makes accessing it easier than having to use the terminal. First time you use this, it runs the 'winecfg' command, and goes through the set-up process. Second & subsequent uses, it will bring up the Wine Control Panel.

-----------------------------------

If you want (or need) to do the above, then do so. Then, let us know what happens, please.

Mike. :wink:

perdido

#5 Post by perdido »

ereru wrote:Thanks for the reply. I get a similar output when I run any Linux program using the "start" command. For example, "start dogradio" gives me:

0025:err:plugplay:handle_bus_relations AddDevice failed for driver
I know it's normal to get error messages when opening a program via the terminal, but I found all these WINE-related messages odd. I came across this issue by chance while testing something, I wouldn't normally use the "start" command to run a program.

I do have WINE set up as far as I know.
My start command in precise - which has wine installed - is located in /usr/sbin/start - the start is a symlink to /usr/sbin/winewrapper
----------------
From the wrapper script itself
"Wrapper script to start a Winelib application once it is installed"
The winewrapper script is expecting to call a winelib app that has been compiled with winelib.

So you wonder what is a winelib app? That is a windows app that has been ported to linux using the winelib.
It is kind of a cross-breed between a windows and linux app, a frankenwin linuxstein of a thing.

Winelib: Advantages and Disadvantages
http://web.archive.org/web/200702181654 ... 189.html#4

As far as I understand I don't see advantage going to the trouble to recompile windows apps in winelib if your windows program already runs in wine.

Some additional conversation about winelib
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/193 ... of-winelib

Edited to add a little more to make batter cents

ereru

#6 Post by ereru »

Thanks, Mike and Perdido, for the replies (and the welcome). Sorry for the delay in posting my reply.

I had mistakenly assumed that "start" was a general Linux command, which is why those WINE-related errors made no sense to me. However, I can see that what Perdido said in his post...
My start command in precise - which has wine installed - is located in /usr/sbin/start - the start is a symlink to /usr/sbin/winewrapper
...is the same for me in Slacko 5.6. So now I understand what was making those error messages appear at least.

I followed Mike's instructions for fully uninstalling WINE, but after doing this then reinstalling I still get the exact same error messages when I run the "winecfg" command.

WINE does seem to work fine apart from this, though, so if those error messages are not of much importance then I'll just forget about them...

perdido

#7 Post by perdido »

ereru wrote:
I followed Mike's instructions for fully uninstalling WINE, but after doing this then reinstalling I still get the exact same error messages when I run the "winecfg" command.

WINE does seem to work fine apart from this, though, so if those error messages are not of much importance then I'll just forget about them...
Just some basic stuff that I am not qualified to dissect any further than this.

/usr/sbin/winewrapper is symlinked to by /usr/sbin/winecfg
winewrapper is used to start many of the wine support programs depending which symlink it is called from.

You can do a search with pfind and see where the winecfg.exe resides and just click on it to start.up, that will bypass winewrapper
Mine is located in /root/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/winecfg.exe
If it does not start up like that then there are more problems somewhere besides the winewrapper

winewrapper is called by the following symlinks
Most of the symlinks probably have corresponding .exe files located somewhere in wine, the wrapper chooses which one to start

├── clock -> winewrapper
├── cmd -> winewrapper
├── control -> winewrapper
├── expand -> winewrapper
├── explorer -> winewrapper
├── hh -> winewrapper
├── icinfo -> winewrapper
├── iexplore -> winewrapper
├── lodctr -> winewrapper
├── msiexec -> winewrapper
├── notepad -> winewrapper
├── ntoskrnl -> winewrapper
├── oleview -> winewrapper
├── progman -> winewrapper
├── regedit -> winewrapper
├── regsvr32 -> winewrapper
├── rundll32 -> winewrapper
├── secedit -> winewrapper
├── services -> winewrapper
├── spoolsv -> winewrapper
├── start -> winewrapper
├── svchost -> winewrapper
├── taskmgr -> winewrapper
├── uninstaller -> winewrapper
├── unlodctr -> winewrapper
├── wineboot -> winewrapper
├── winebrowser -> winewrapper
├── winecfg -> winewrapper
├── wineconsole -> winewrapper
├── winedbg -> winewrapper
├── winedevice -> winewrapper
├── winefile -> winewrapper
├── winemenubuilder -> winewrapper
├── winemine -> winewrapper
├── winepath -> winewrapper
├── winevdm -> winewrapper
├── winewrapper
├── winhlp32 -> winewrapper
├── winver -> winewrapper
├── wordpad -> winewrapper
├── write -> winewrapper
├── xcopy -> winewrapper

oui

#8 Post by oui »

ereru wrote:I followed Mike's instructions for fully uninstalling WINE, but after doing this then reinstalling I still get the exact same error messages when I run the "winecfg" command.
Wine was always a " special candidat" to use; it works immediately or you despair to read the error messages; the new figures make it more complicated and the number or dependencies needing to use al lot of figures can't be found in all wine installations!

Mike seems to have luck but he did not give away which version (*.pet or *.sfs) he did use to have a such success.

I will use 4 for me very important Windows applications, 2 being installed in the past on my last PC able to work under Windows 95 (more than 10 y. ago):

- ViaVoice because nothing to do in Linux with voice recognition to write long texts
- Ways2 (memory resident app., not compatible with Windows NT or derivates of it, also not compatible with Windows ME; Windows 98 also is not so good and Windows 95 RS 325 ist not really a Windows 95 but more a early Windows 98!), an extremely flexible Swiss army knife application (the programmer is an genial Swiss man)

as well as 2 modern Windows applications one to use some ambulant blood pressure measuring equipment to manage the important number of data sets collected along the day, as well as one to visualize the pictures from an endoscopic video cam

and all that will not work (Ways2 is evident: old memory resident app's are only in old windows before WindowsNT possible).

ViaVoice starts, but does not recognize the microphon input through PulsAudio (but I need PulseAudio for other jobs! Ideal, perhaps, would be an un-connectable Pulse-Audio :wink: .

The blood measuring equipment is connected at the USB port and send to the computer a request to receive data. did without success (the data management itself with pre supplied data to show the performance works)

probably analog thing with the endoscopic video cam: USB doen't probably transmit propoerly the request to be ready to receive data sets

for ways, it is the processor mode, probably nothing to do to help

all those problems seem to be result of to poor integration at the hardware side.

(I did buy before a few weeks an old Thinkpad laptop to reinstall Windows 95. But also this seems don't to be evident!)