Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 14 Dec 2019, 00:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Good place for a Puppy newbie to start?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
levaculik

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep 2019, 09:51    Post subject:  Good place for a Puppy newbie to start?  

hi guys i'm new to the puppy i was using ubuntu 18.04, i changed it because i needed a lighter distro and i got to the puppy so now i'm confused about the commands and stuff if anyone can tell me a good site to start would be very happy.
bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep 2019, 10:22    Post subject:  

Welcome to Puppy Land!

If you are asking about terminal commands.

Well ,first you do not use sudo with commands.
Puppy runs as root user.
sudo not needed.

PuppyLinux Reference Card
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46435

If you are asking how to do things in Puppy.

How to section of this forum has a lot of how to do something information.

The Puppy menu.
Look in the menu for a program to do what you want to do.
All the major programs have an icon on the desktop.
Most programs have a help or guide you along as you use the program.
Program names may be different from what you have used, but the basic function is there.

Really the only way to learn is just use the program.

First few topics in the Beginners Help section of this forum has a lot of general information.

Puppy School for Beginners
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115

bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep 2019, 10:40    Post subject:  

If you post a problem of ask about a specific process.
Always, always, always give the specific Puppy version you are using.
Example:
Bionicpup64 8.0

There may be a need for other information.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90471

We only know what you tell us!!!

Burn_IT

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep 2019, 10:56    Post subject:  

The reason we need to know the exact version you are running is because the different versions are actually based upon libraries from different base Linux distributions and therefore the advice may differ slightly.
levaculik

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep 2019, 11:36    Post subject:  

I'm sorry I just forgot about this detail. The version I'm using is BionicPup32 version 19.03. I used to use the sudo command and apt-get, but I realized that this version doesn't have these commands.
dancytron

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep 2019, 11:55    Post subject:  

Like they said, you don't use sudo.

To install new programs from the repository, use the Puppy Package Manager.

The other way to install packages is to just download them and then click on them.

Don't use a "full install". For lots of reasons I won't go in to, that's a bad name. It should be something more like "legacy install". Unless you have less than a gig of ram, there is no reason someone who isn't a developer would use it.

Have a backup strategy for your save/file folder. You should always be able to step back if an installation of something goes badly. Puppy is great in a lot of ways, but installing programs is not as bulletproof as the big distros where thousands of hours go into testing that everything works together.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep 2019, 13:36    Post subject:  

Hi levaculik,

Welcome to the kennels. Smile

One of the reasons we ask you to provide specifics about your operating system and computer in every new post --and don't be afraid to ask even trivial questions-- is that there are actually over 5000 versions of Puppy which still can be used on some computer. Laughing But not all work, or work as well, on every possible computer. Consider this Forum your best resource for finding out how to get the most out of your computer-Puppy combination.

That said, there have been over a million posts to the Forum so there's a good chance that whatever problem you encounter may already have been discussed. The following google-search engine dedicated to all things Puppy may provide information you need: http://wellminded.net63.net/

Also, take a few minutes to examine how the Forum in structured. Each Puppy has its own thread in either the Derivatives or Projects Sections where it is best to ask question if they primarily relate to your specific Puppy as that is where those familiar with your Puppy are most likely to 'hang out'. The Additional Software Section has threads for each Application. You've posted to the right Section (Beginners) for seeking advice about how to get started. If you run into a technical problem and the above Sections may not seem appropriate, The Users (For the Regulars) Section draws the attention of those of us who know a little more.

As dancytron noted, you should not be using a "Full Install". Puppy is designed to run as a Frugal install; which only means that, not requiring its own dedicated partition, it 'frugally' uses your hard-drive. It contains exactly the same operating system as a Full Install. It is just deployed differently. If by chance you did a 'Full Install' it is recommended that before you get 'too far into the weeds' you create a Frugal install and replace your Full install. Ask if you need assistance.

One of the many advantages of a Frugal install is that it can use "SFSes". These are kind of like Windows portables, AppImages, or the 'new-fangled' snaps and flatpaks. Except that Puppy was there a dozen years ago. SFSes are not installed; rather they are loaded/unloaded --optionally on the fly-- as and when you need them. When not loaded they use No RAM, so your system runs faster. When loaded but not opened they take up less RAM than their installed equivalents. As they are not installed, you can try out a new version without destroying your old version in case you have to revert.

Applications from the Additional Software Section are downloaded using your Web-browser. Left-Clicking a downloaded pet will install it. Right-Clicking an SFS opens a popup menu which will ask if you want to load/unload it.

You'll also note on the Additional Software Section that many Web-browsers and some other applications are offered as 'portables'. Those, like Windows portables, can be run from anywhere. The initial post of their respective threads will tell you how to make use of them.

You'll also find it likely that somewhere in the Additional Software Section is an application for doing some task even if it's name may not be familiar to you. Some, not all, will work with any Puppy. Some may have been built for your Puppy. Always prefer those to using Puppy Package Manager as their creator has taken the time to built or create an Application having everything your Puppy needs. Puppy Package Manager doesn't always find all of an applications necessary components. If it's not obvious, don't hesitate to ask if an application will work with your Puppy.

After you do a Frugal install, backup your SaveFile/Folder. Ask if a 'Wellminded' search doesn't immediately provide instructions. One of the advantages of a Frugal install is that you can easily backup your SaveFile/Folder. It is the only part of your operating system which isn't pristine on bootup as it contains all your customizations, settings and 'installed' applications. If anything un-fixable goes wrong, you can then delete your SaveFile/Folder and replace it with your Backup.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: