(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 27 Sep 2020, 23:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Videos to promote and teach Puppy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Enrique Corbellini

PostPosted: Sun 15 Sep 2019, 14:42    Post subject:  Videos to promote and teach Puppy
Subject description: an essay

Hi Puppy users,
I have been experimenting a new way to promote puppy. I created a series of videos to teach people how to use it, and to attract the public to this proposition I made a video to show in Facebook and other popular sites. It is this one

https://youtu.be/utTLBAK_qVc
(it's in Spanish, English subtitles available)

I'd appreciate so much your sugestions about this way of letting people know about puppy, improvements, corrections and even objections (hope not lots Rolling Eyes ). When having all the videos I'd like to show them to those who are interested in this way of teaching PC using, and even working on it if possible.
I'll be thankfull for your attention and comments.
Enrique Corbellini

PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep 2019, 10:27    Post subject: clarification  

Oh come on please, already 50 people have seen this post and didn't want to give me opinion yet Sad . I just discovered that the video has a flaw (a couple of off-center images appear) but I apologize for that. Even if you want to tell me that the video is not good at all I will thank you, I need guidance since I am not an expert in advertising, and I would also like this broadcast to help the whole project of puppy linux.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep 2019, 14:58    Post subject:  

Hola Enrique Corbellini,

Perhaps the other 49, like myself, watched your video and thought someone else was in a better position to make suggestions. For myself, let me first commend you for your work and encourage you to continue.

If I were creating a video series about Puppy --something I'm not capable of doing-- I'd produce one video for each situation in which a newbie is likely to encounter a stumbling block. I'd begin with the initial problem: How to get from the operating system you are running to a Puppy which will boot. Perhaps several videos: Burning Puppy to a CD/DVD; 'Burning' Puppy to a USB-Stick; and doing a Frugal Install to a hard-drive, the later two being duplicated for computers which still use Bios to boot and those which use the UEFI mechanism. And that entire series would have to also cover three initial conditions, with the newbie starting with Windows, starting with a typical Linux such as Ubuntu, and with starting with a Puppy to obtain a different bootable Puppy.

I'd also suggest an episode explaining the difference between a 'Full' and 'Frugal' install; recommending a Frugal install in most instances. Perhaps as part of, or linked from that episode, one explaining the use of SFSes. Another episode explaining the use of 'portable apps' and, where possible, AppImages.

One thing I'd strongly recommend. In the text section under each video provide a link to this Forum. Perhaps mention it during the course of the video indicating our willingness --even eagerness-- to help a newbie select the best version of Puppy for his/her computer and answer any question. It would help us if a newbie asking a question was already aware of the information we will need. See bigpup's post, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=739618#739618. Maybe an episode explaining how to obtain that information.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep 2019, 18:20    Post subject:  

Actually, Mike, if you think about it, the series would pretty much have to be set from a Windows user's POV.....since that's where most noobs come from. By extension, that would mean creating, editing, and posting the resulting videos from within Windows itself.....and although I make occasional videos, as you know, that particular scenario is beyond me, because I haven't run Windows for years. So in my case, I can only do stuff from the POV of users moving from other Linux distros.

And that's a rather small 'niche', TBH..... Annoying, 'cos I've just obtained a neat new video 'intro' that I'm dying to put to good use..! Smile

Mike. Sad

mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep 2019, 21:27    Post subject:  

@ 'other Mike,

Of course, videos set to a Windows user's POV would have the greatest impact. I wouldn't worry about how Enrique would create them. The video he posted appears to have been created, at least in part, using a Web-Cam or external Camera. And there are several Windows programs for recording desktop activity. Of course, if Enrique didn't have a functioning version of Windows that would be a substantial hurdle. However, part of that video indicated he employed Yumi, a program that runs under Windows. https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

There could be an episode showing how to install Yumi, and/or rufus and/or Lick and then get from Windows to Puppy on a USB-Stick. I can't compare those applications, never having used Yumi. But I have used both rufus and Lick. Would have to run tests to see which would be the easiest for a Windows-refugee and whether having a Bios or a UEFI booting computer makes a difference.

At first glance, getting from some another LInux to Puppy might seem to require having a functioning version of that other Linux. But, on at least two Puppies, Xenialpup64 and Tahrpup64, I was able to put together functioning Unetbootin.SFSes. Unetbootin is, AFAIK, available for all 'Major Linux Distros'. As I recall the ones I built both functioned, but one wasn't as 'cut and dry' as it should have been. I'll be happy to make either available. But, they weren't difficult to construct from debs via Puppy Package Manager.

If Enrique has a functioning 'Major Distro' perhaps he could put 'on the back burner' creating an episode on how to customize Grub2 to boot into Puppy.
Geek3579

PostPosted: Tue 17 Sep 2019, 02:53    Post subject:  

Hi Enrique,

I have run a beginners class for Linux which consists of retirees with some experience of computing with Windows. I chose to include LXPUP64Sc, Linux Mint and MX-Linux as example distros. I found it a really difficult task to work out what to include and how to sequence items.

So I commend you for being so enthusiastic about Puppy Linux, and for taking on a potentially huge task; but one which can benefit those new to Linux.

A few random points from my humble experience:
I would recommend chunking the material into small blocks and going into detail.
Using Graphics to reinforce the presentation
Newbies can use Rufus in windows to make Live ISOs.
LXPUP64Sc (or similar) has a great bootflash installer which, in my experience makes installation on a USB much more reliable/bootable under UEFI and BIOS.
Although there is much on the net regarding UEFI/disabling secure boot/booting from USBs, these are huge stumbling blocks to beginners and need adequate attention.

I hope this helps, and best wishes in your task.
dancytron

PostPosted: Tue 17 Sep 2019, 03:22    Post subject: Re: clarification  

Enrique Corbellini wrote:
Oh come on please, already 50 people have seen this post and didn't want to give me opinion yet Sad . I just discovered that the video has a flaw (a couple of off-center images appear) but I apologize for that. Even if you want to tell me that the video is not good at all I will thank you, I need guidance since I am not an expert in advertising, and I would also like this broadcast to help the whole project of puppy linux.

Just so you know, the number of views recorded on this board are a reoccurring item of discussion and it is pretty well accepted they aren't accurate. I seriously doubt 50 people viewed your post.

It is my theory that search engine robots scan the board without letting it set session cookies and get counted over and over again. No where near 52649 Guests have been on this board since yesterday.

You've gotten good advice and I can't think of anything to add. I think you have a worthwhile project.
nic007

PostPosted: Tue 17 Sep 2019, 03:46    Post subject:  

I still think the installation process could be easier for a new user. I suggest focus on frugal install and a process whereby the only user input required is to indicate his preferred location for the install. Process should run totally automatic from there with default settings. User can then just reboot.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 17 Sep 2019, 06:49    Post subject:  

Geek3759 (in part) wrote:
<snip>....Using Graphics to reinforce the presentation ....</snip>

That, I whole-heartedly concur with. Many people respond far more favourably to instruction if there is accompanying visual material to re-inforce what is being said.

I know I do..... And, just as an aside (though it doesn't really apply here, since you cannot regulate what time of day people will view things), you'll also find that for a lot of folks, instruction of any kind is more readily absorbed in the afternoon, rather than the morning. It definitely works that way for me, and also for many other individuals I've discussed this point with over the years.

(Don't ask me why; if you really wanted a specific answer to this point, I suspect you'd be talking to the shrinks, etc, or the scientists, who would tell you that it's all down to the individual's alpha, beta & delta brain-wave patterns, and the differing rates at which the 'peaks' and 'troughs' occur from one person to another.....)

Me no expert with that stuff. It's like Greek to me..!!

Mike. Wink

Enrique Corbellini

PostPosted: Wed 18 Sep 2019, 07:56    Post subject: thanks and answers  

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your advices and your encouragement.

mikeslr wrote:
If I were creating a video series about Puppy --something I'm not capable of doing-- I'd produce one video for each situation in which a newbie is likely to encounter a stumbling block. I'd begin with the initial problem: How to get from the operating system you are running to a Puppy which will boot.

In fact I made 7 videos in total to teach a user who doesn't know anything about puppy to start using his/her PC and to make the first steps. My intention is to show the learner (or Windows user) that with few resources and few knowdledge can do many important things he believed were difficult to make under the windows environment.
The first two videos (that are here: http://pcfacil.cf/Comienzo ) teach how to create a pendrive containing puppy and how to configure a booting that accepts the pendrive and reads it. The latter gave me more work than teaching the creation of the pendrive because sometimes the PC is reluctant to show where the boot option is and because the much text on the screen makes the newbie feel dizzy.
Note: I'm not very good making videos either Embarassed but I went enthausiasted since I found a group of promoters learning how to teach goods things throw the internet. They have a style that combines giving free lessons to show the possibilities, and after that, they earn money for the rest of the lessons. So I also had to search for an equilibrium to give for free everything that puppy always offered freely, and receive money to sostain this project (or otherwise I couldn't continue it). I decided to charge for those videos that are strictly teaching and do not contain free software delivery.

mikeslr wrote:
Perhaps several videos: Burning Puppy to a CD/DVD; 'Burning' Puppy to a USB-Stick; and doing a Frugal Install to a hard-drive, the later two being duplicated for computers which still use Bios to boot and those which use the UEFI mechanism. And that entire series would have to also cover three initial conditions, with the newbie starting with Windows, starting with a typical Linux such as Ubuntu, and with starting with a Puppy to obtain a different bootable Puppy.

I explained the usage of the CD and the USB-Stick, and recommended the Frugal install for beginners. I have to thank you for remembering me about the existence of Bios, 'cause I only explained the download of xenialpup-uefi. About teaching the newbie who starts from Linux, I opted to let that for afterwards due to most of the users come from the windows world, and those who already know linux already know many things and don't need as much as help like the windows user and the newbie in computers need.

mikeslr wrote:
One thing I'd strongly recommend. In the text section under each video provide a link to this Forum. Perhaps mention it during the course of the video indicating our willingness --even eagerness-- to help a newbie select the best version of Puppy for his/her computer and answer any question. It would help us if a newbie asking a question was already aware of the information we will need. See bigpup's post, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=739618#739618. Maybe an episode explaining how to obtain that information.

Really, that's absolutely important. Without this community, nothing of the puppy software would be succesfull. In the first of the 7 videos I made (the presentation), I speak about the puppylinux forum and some of the history of the puppy linux community. In the 4th video, I strongly recommend the learner to meet the community and try to receive advice there. This post you show me now undoubtely will help.
Enrique Corbellini

PostPosted: Wed 18 Sep 2019, 08:22    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
...the series would pretty much have to be set from a Windows user's POV.....since that's where most noobs come from. By extension, that would mean creating, editing, and posting the resulting videos from within Windows itself.....and although I make occasional videos, as you know, that particular scenario is beyond me, because I haven't run Windows for years.

I make all the videos using 90% puppy programs and 10% linux mint. The filming is made with and android mobile connected to the pc using puppy.
I'll probably tell about this to the learners to show them how many things they can do using puppy.

"Puppy Linux... do your hardware a favor" ---> I find this words very attractive Wink

mikeslr wrote:
There could be an episode showing how to install Yumi, and/or rufus and/or Lick and then get from Windows to Puppy on a USB-Stick. I can't compare those applications, never having used Yumi. But I have used both rufus and Lick.

There is that episode, in the second video. I never used Lick so I'll pay a look to it to see how it works. I choosed Yumi due to its existance under both the windows and the linux environment, and because has a nice interface and pretty penguing saying "hello", this funny things my partners say help people to learn easier.

mikeslr wrote:
If Enrique has a functioning 'Major Distro' perhaps he could put 'on the back burner' creating an episode on how to customize Grub2 to boot into Puppy.

I did that in the last video. I tried to use the first videos to let the learner discover the puppy world. I still don't know if I'll be giving the technical details for free 'cause it took me time preparing the last videos and probably the newbie will prefere to receive direct help instead of having to guess the meaning and importance of using things like grub. I'm not sure about anything speaking about how the learner will react, since it's the first time i'll use videos to teach, and most of this essay is still only adventuring. (By the way, all puppy users are invited to come to this project if wanting to make a teaching team using this method).
Enrique Corbellini

PostPosted: Wed 18 Sep 2019, 09:10    Post subject:  

Geek3579 wrote:
Hi Enrique, I have run a beginners class for Linux which consists of retirees with some experience of computing with Windows. I chose to include LXPUP64Sc, Linux Mint and MX-Linux as example distros. I found it a really difficult task to work out what to include and how to sequence items.
So I commend you for being so enthusiastic about Puppy Linux, and for taking on a potentially huge task; but one which can benefit those new to Linux.

Thank you so much, I really feel enthusiastic about Puppy. I always feel puppy is always a high-level project, full of the best human ethic.
I had some trouble booting my PC using LXPUP64, but will see what can do. I choosed XenialPup as the preferred puppy to teach, because is one of the most recommended ones, and principally because proving it on different machines, worked showed less problems. And also has a strong acceptance of the Google Drive environment (i.e. actualizing its Palemoon browser), what is essential to show many windows users that the linux environment has nothing to envy the windows world.

Geek3579 wrote:
A few random points from my humble experience:
I would recommend chunking the material into small blocks and going into detail.
Using Graphics to reinforce the presentation

Using graphics is a condition the team of promoters I'm working with demand. I use lots of images, and still have to include gifs between them.

Geek3579 wrote:
Although there is much on the net regarding UEFI/disabling secure boot/booting from USBs, these are huge stumbling blocks to beginners and need adequate attention.

Absolutely true. The firts step is the harder, specially because of fear of making something unproperly. I'm still working on that.

dancytron wrote:
You've gotten good advice and I can't think of anything to add. I think you have a worthwhile project.

Certainly, I see I've been perfectly answered. This is a great community.

nic007 wrote:
I suggest focus on frugal install and a process whereby the only user input required is to indicate his preferred location for the install. Process should run totally automatic from there with default settings. User can then just reboot.

That's what I did. But even using the most default settings as possible, some users still have difficult to manage all those yellow windows appearing at the same time at the moment of shutting down the PC. I assumed some people (those who normally have huge difficult to understand technology) won't manage this, and I'll focuse on those (millions in fact) who understand a bit more.

Mike Walsh wrote:
I know I do..... And, just as an aside (though it doesn't really apply here, since you cannot regulate what time of day people will view things), you'll also find that for a lot of folks, instruction of any kind is more readily absorbed in the afternoon, rather than the morning. It definitely works that way for me, and also for many other individuals I've discussed this point with over the years.
(Don't ask me why; if you really wanted a specific answer to this point, I suspect you'd be talking to the shrinks, etc, or the scientists, who would tell you that it's all down to the individual's alpha, beta & delta brain-wave patterns, and the differing rates at which the 'peaks' and 'troughs' occur from one person to another.....)

So funny . If I'd had to manage all the pedagogic stuff alone, I'd probably went crazy. The team I working with are all learners of this teaching method given by a school of teaching throw the internet. None of my partners teach pc or technology, they are all from the most diverse topics: science, art, pshicology, and many more disciplines. What leaves me a bit alone, but the method itself is good for all the projects 'cause it only tells us about how to making the videos and give them throw the net.
nic007

PostPosted: Wed 18 Sep 2019, 09:59    Post subject:  

I was thinking about making a fully automatic install script with no user input. May attempt it some day.
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 18 Sep 2019, 10:32    Post subject:  

Only thing I will add.
Different Puppy versions are not the same in all things.
Be careful what Puppy version you use to show how something works.
Most of the Puppy versions on the official download site.
http://puppylinux.com/
do things the same way, but do offer different programs to do some things.

General how to do something is OK.
But, very specific, how to do it in this specific version of Puppy, is also needed.

So many different versions of Puppy Linux, does make things confusing, sometimes.

mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 18 Sep 2019, 12:56    Post subject:  

bigpup makes a good point. To some extent, different Puppies do things differently and have different capabilities. It is confusing. Keeping track of the details would be a full time job for someone already familiar with Puppies. For a newbie it would be hopelessly confusing: a major stumbling block.

Your target audience is likely to have many different computers. Choosing one version of Puppy likely to run on as many computers as possible would, to a large extent, overcome that stumbling block. There will be time enough, later, for a newbie, now familiar with how Puppies work, to explore which may be the best for his/her computer. Although my primary operating system is Xenialpup64 (to a large extent updated as new versions of builtin applications became available) and I know there are many other fine Puppies, I would recommend that you examine radky's dpup-stretch, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=974590#974590 as a candidate for the 'demo' Puppy. [Ignore it's RC disclaimer. radky is a perfectionist. I am unaware of any significant bugs. Some other Dev would have already declare it "Final"].

dpup-stretch comes with all the applications that you are familiar with under Xenialpup. There are two otherwise identical version that can be downloaded, differing only in that one uses a kernel for recent hardware, the other for legacy hardware. It is UEFI ready, so can be used on either Bios or UEFI booting computers. It also includes the bootflash application Geek3579 mentioned. Although it is only a 32-bit operating system, it also runs on 64-bit computers; indeed, blazingly fast. Jamesbond's examinations revealed that it could be fully functional on even RAM-Challenged computers. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1020898#1020898

Of course it runs the newest 'mozilla' web-browsers. But for those who prefer the 'google' way of doing things, dpup-stretch can also run a relatively recent version of Iron, a google-chrome-clone, available from here, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1009536#1009536. [Maybe others, I haven't tested].

The attached screenshot is of the pets I currently have installed and the SFSes I currently have loaded. I am not aware of any frequently desired type of application for which some application is not functional under dpup-stretch.
Applications-Under-dPup.png
 Description   Sampling of additional applications dpup-stretch can use
 Filesize   45.83 KB
 Viewed   201 Time(s)

Applications-Under-dPup.png

Page 1 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Jump to: