Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 12 Nov 2019, 06:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
In Transmission, deleting files doesn't free disk-space.
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
MrAccident

PostPosted: Sat 05 Oct 2019, 11:25    Post subject:  In Transmission, deleting files doesn't free disk-space.  

Slacko 5.7.0
I mean clicking "Delete Files and Remove" inside transmission ― removes the files & folders from the download-folder; but recently ― after seeing in Puppy's "personal storage" - that I have very little space ― I removed about 10G of files this way ― and nothing changed in "personal storage"; when I removed some files manually ― the difference was shown in "personal storage".
When searching in Google for this question ― I encountered someone saying that Transmission moves files to trash. I don't think I have a trash-bin; but maybe it's related.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 05 Oct 2019, 13:32    Post subject: Re: In Transmission - deleting files - doesn't free disk-space.  

MrAccident wrote:
I don't think I have a trash-bin.

Yes, you do. In Xenialpup64 its located in /usr/local/app. Yours may be in a different location. Use Menu>File-Systems>pfind>System Files to search for a folder named "trash".

The difference between Trash and delete is that delete removes it completely while Trash moves it to a location where it can be recovered. In Puppies, that can't be in the /tmp folder as whatever is in /tmp is cleared on Shutdown/Reboot. Every other location --with one exception-- will take up space in your SaveFile/Folder unless you've set your Save Interval to zero(0) and do not many Save. [See the Remove Automatic Save thread]. Without Saving, the contents of Trash will not be written to your SaveFile and not be available after a reboot/shutdown.

The one exception is any folder which 'hangs from' /mnt, such as /mnt/home, the disk/partition on which your Frugal Puppy is located.

When you've located the Trash folder open one File-browser window so that you can see that folder as a folder. Open a second File-browser window to /mnt/home. Left-press, hold then drag the Trash folder to /mnt/home and select Move. Left-press, hold the Trash folder again, drag it back to its former location and select Link(relative). Transmission will now automatically store Trash in /mnt/home/Trash (outside of your SaveFile). You can still use Empty the Trash to delete the files stored in /mnt/home/Trash. But you can also just browse into that folder and delete individual files.
MrAccident

PostPosted: Sat 05 Oct 2019, 13:45    Post subject:  

mikeslr - then it's probably not it; because there's nothing in the "Trash" folder; and also ― the diminishing disk-space ― is in sda5(where all non system files are) not in sda1(where Puppy and save-file are).
Is there a way to scan the drive, and update this information? (unless you think that the files are really still kept somewhere)
williams2

PostPosted: Sat 05 Oct 2019, 15:08    Post subject:  

You can use gdmap to see the largest files in your save space.

gdmap is somewhere in the menu,
or you can type in a text terminal console:
Code:
gdmap -f /initrd/pup_rw/

If you are saving files to a file system that you are mounting yourself
as opposed to automatically being mounted when you boot,
if you forget to mount the file system, the files will end up saved in Puppy's save space.

In that case, if you unmount the file system in /mnt,
for example, /mnt/sda4
the folder should be empty.
If you can see files in /mnt/sda4,
those files are taking up space in your Puppy save space.

You can also find the largest files in Puppy's save space by typing:
Code:
find /initrd/pup_rw/ -ls | sort -nk7 | tail
MrAccident

PostPosted: Sat 05 Oct 2019, 15:31    Post subject:  

@williams2 - yeah - I thought about using GdMap; now I used it on Transmission incoming folder; that 6G file I deleted then - isn't there. I'll check the whole hard-drive later; if it will show-up.
Again - it can't be in Puppy's drive ― which is very small to begin with.
The drive was mounted (I know this situation; had that happening).
MrAccident

PostPosted: Sun 06 Oct 2019, 13:59    Post subject:  

OK, found it; it's in /mnt/sda5/.Trash-0; and I needed to click the eye button to see it.
It contains two-thirds of the almost full 1T hard-drive. Good to finally figure it out. Smile
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 06 Oct 2019, 14:41    Post subject:  

Do most of the files filling up the drive come from the browser cache?
MrAccident

PostPosted: Sun 06 Oct 2019, 14:54    Post subject:  

@Flash - already deleted them, without examining them too much; but I did go over all of them superficially ― and I'm pretty sure they are all from Transmission; that's the only place where I don't delete with ctrl+x.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: