Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 09 Dec 2019, 01:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How to remove "Searching For Puppy Files" from boot process?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Smithy

PostPosted: Wed 23 Oct 2019, 16:22    Post subject:  

Is there some area of that section that I could enter the specific puppy.sfs zdrive?
Would that then speed it up?

On the hard drive, formatted to EXT4, there is just the puppy sfs, the zdrv (stripped massively) and the grub booter, oh and I did a quick idlinux and syslinux, just when I was experimenting.

It should be relatively fast after that, (and after I remove internet, printing, network etc from the init, since it has no optical drive, no ethernet, no wireless, no network, no parallels, it should zip through the rest in seconds. Theoretically.... I bet removing pixcel buffering might do it in.
I did notice a significant difference after I physically removed the dvd writer lol.
It's not your regular luxurious pup before people get irate or confused. Experiment init.

Rufwoof's method sounds good on his fatty since the puppy will never change. Maybe for a later date.
"Having the main sfs and kernel modules sfs inside the initrd and the initrd inside the kernel ... is nice. Just the one file (vmlinuz) to boot".
mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct 2019, 13:22    Post subject:  

The init in effect compiles a database of all potential puppy files and then decides what to use (hopefully).
I used the puppy 2 approach which looks for the sfs as the place to load puppy from which is much faster. Modifying the existing init is a hairy business....
Mike
Smithy

PostPosted: Sun 27 Oct 2019, 05:30    Post subject:  

Thanks for hanging in there Mike Smile

There's a couple of Version 2 Pups that Ally has preserved. Might take a look at the init on those.

https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_DragonPuppy2Junior

https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_mean-puppy-2.02-opera

Also I wonder if I could swap the init from another pup say tahr or aardvark or bionic.
The aardvark one is pretty fast, but just slow at the end when looking for optical devices.

Anyways, for now I will just optimise the sfs a bit more, gradually.
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 28 Oct 2019, 13:07    Post subject:  

Quote:
Also I wonder if I could swap the init from another pup say tahr or aardvark or bionic.
The aardvark one is pretty fast, but just slow at the end when looking for optical devices.

although written to be portable life is not that simple I am afraid.
But have a look inside when you can...puppy 2 booting was a fairly simply affair which I found much easier to experiment with eg save folder, sfs save etc.

mike
Smithy

PostPosted: Thu 31 Oct 2019, 07:10    Post subject:  

Thanks Mike, just marking these for later.

Looked in an initrd, the init is not easily unpackable in 2 from the look of it.
But I will run a puppy 2 at some point, see how fast it boots.

https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Series2

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85392
puppy2 initrd.png
 Description   
 Filesize   18.87 KB
 Viewed   103 Time(s)

puppy2 initrd.png

rufwoof

PostPosted: Thu 31 Oct 2019, 09:08    Post subject:  

My localyesconfig compiled kernel with a cut down version of fatdog's initrd is a 9.9MB vmlinuz filesize, that's with initrd (and modules) all incorporated into that (i.e. highly machine specific) vmlinuz - so the only boot parameter needed is to point to that vmlinuz (no initrd boot parameter). But that boots with wifi connected and has ssh/scp (dropbear). Copying (using scp) is however relatively slow inside that compared to a full system's scp speed. With that booted (1 second boot time, 5 seconds before actually net connected - booting using usb), I can mount/scp/whatever a full systems vmlinuz/initrd and now, in also having compiled/built kexec for that (along with setting the kernel's .config to support KEXEC) I can directly boot into another kernel/system.
kexec -l vmlinuz --initrd=initrd
kexec -e
... and that boots the new kernel/system without having to reboot back through BIOS.
Alternatively I can overlayfs mount a system and chroot into that
mkdir sfs changes work top
mount fd64.sfs sfs
mount -t overlay overlay -o lowerdir=sfs,upperdir=changes,workdir=work top
chroot top
.. but in that case functionality is limited as its using the same cut down (small) kernel.
Another option is to have a fast initial boot system (such as my 9.9MB system that boots in a second), and then use that to modify menu.lst (or whatever boot loader) and then recycle back through 'reboot' (BIOS). In grub4dos menu.lst for instance you can chain to another menu1.lst using a menu.lst entry of ...

title go to menu1 submenu
find --set-root /menu1.lst
configfile /menu1.lst

If that is the default choice, then you can simply just re-create menu1.lst entry to have a timeout of 0 and whatever boot choice (vmlinuz/initrd) you want to have automatically booted after the next reboot.

Only mentioning these options as its a reverse direction sort of approach, rather than the system automatically trying to find something to boot, you can boot a small system and then pull in what you specifically want to boot (from practically anywhere) ... and then boot that.

A nice feature with a minimal boot with wifi net connected and ssh is that I can boot in seconds and ssh into hashbang where tmux has been left running and there are tmux sessions for irc, mail, web pages etc. and then reattach (tmux attach) to those. Handy for scanning back through irc posts posted since you last detached (ctrl-B d) and powered-down the laptop.

Job control when you're ssh'd into another box is a bit awkward as ctrl-z to background the current task backgrounds the task on the server. To background the server connection task and drop into a local cli you have to <enter> ~ ctrl-z ctrl-z ... which will stop the server job and have you back at a local cli. Run whatever local command and then fg ... will resume/reattach back to the server again.

Another nice thing with a minimal boot using a usb that is disconnected after booting is that the potential attack surface is very small (difficult to crack). And when you use a ssh server with keys based authentication any man in middle attacks will flag up a warning (pre-established private/public keys and known server cannot be spoofed by a man-in-middle without flashing up warnings that things had been changed). Also any browsing/activity you do in a terminal/server type setup route via the single ssh connection, so your ISP/state only see that encrypted single link connection, none of the actual content or dns lookup's. Remote sites also see your IP as being the servers IP, not your actual IP. You can even set things up so that all local LAN browser traffic shares that ssh link based routing (socks proxy) - that however does require full openssh (the dropbear based ssh as installed by default in fatdog's Bulldog (initrd) doesn't support that (at least AFAIK)).

Generally Fatdog is superior for its booting options compared to Puppy. Much more flexible and functional. For instance it even supports booting from and saving to a network block device, where you can export a partition or image file on another device (PC) and mount it locally as though it were a local device (boot/save etc. from/to that). Fatdog's (very) early net connection option is also very useful IMO.

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 31 Oct 2019, 12:18    Post subject:  

Xfilemount could do it for you but basically you ungzip with gunzip then loop mount it as an ext2 filesystem. Eg mount -o loop /path/to/image /mnt/test
You can edit, unmount then gzip again.
Mike
zagreb999

PostPosted: Thu 31 Oct 2019, 12:31    Post subject:  

regards rufwoof,

euclid4.iso opens from
start to desktop
in 3 to 5 seconds ,
depends on cpu of
computer...
there is not search for sfs...
Smithy

PostPosted: Fri 01 Nov 2019, 05:48    Post subject:  

Hi Zagreb, so you are pulling all this to a desktop in just a few seconds?

euclid4.iso.lz4 0
isolinux/boot.cat 2048
isolinux/isolinux.bin 24576
isolinux/isolinux.cfg 68
isolinux/live.cfg 208
isolinux/menu.cfg 236
isolinux/splash.png 52376
isolinux/stdmenu.cfg 532
isolinux/vesamenu.c32 63116
ldlinux.sys
syslinux.cfg 305
ubnfilel.txt 535
ubninit 1022020
ubnkern 4509744
ubnpathl.txt 15086

live/01-filesystem.squashfs 240730112
live/initrd1.xz 1022020
live/kernel4.5.squashfs 44388352
live/vmlinuz1 4509744
Smithy

PostPosted: Sun 24 Nov 2019, 13:49    Post subject: Anyways  

I am just adding this to the thread, that searching for puppy files is still a niggle, but it's a bit quicker now. I'll get back to that sucker.

This post is about Drive Power Down Methods.

This could be handy if you have an old SSD or ATA drive and just use it to deliver its payload and then quit (Puppy, Dog, etc).

I was having a look to see if I could find realtime status of drives on the system. Couldn't find any glamorous GUI with spin or electrical status, so I tried:

blkid in the terminal.

This brings up the Label and Importantly, the individual UUID (Hardware ID) of the drives.

The next step is to use HDPARM to shut down a particular disk or disks via a script in Root Startup.

WARNING: Type hdparm in the Terminal and have a read, some commands could bugger up your computer..

I am thinking possibly these variants might do the job well for Puppy: Comments by any seasoned hdparmers welcome Smile

ie: hdparm -Y /dev/disk/by-uuid/DEVICE-IDENT-HERE
or: hdparm -S 60 /dev/hdb
or: hdparm -Y /dev/sdX where (X) is your drive label.

Possibly some Drive Manufacturers might prevent certain options remaining persistent..Quote Below:

"On Debian, with WD drives, I find that setting any level with hdparm -S results in the drive returning a level 254 on subsequent hdparm -I. So I'm really not sure if they're spinning down or not. I think they are still spinning down."

-Y Force an IDE drive to immediately enter the lowest power
consumption sleep mode, causing it to shut down completely. A
hard or soft reset is required before the drive can be accessed
again (the Linux IDE driver will automatically handle issuing a
reset if/when needed). The current power mode status can be
checked using the -C option.

"This command did turn off the hard disk drive, but running hdparm -C /dev/sdX to query the status will turn on the drive again then goes to stand by (a soft reset, I guess). Does the job for power saving, but not for simulating installation without the hard disk drive."
Page 2 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: