(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Sep 2020, 12:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to use camera in HP Mini 100E?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
XE1UFO

PostPosted: Sun 20 Oct 2019, 08:05    Post subject:  How to use camera in HP Mini 100E?  

Hello, my friends. I am pleased to make your aquaintance.

I have been using Linux Mint for many years on several machines, so I am not a nubie to Linux. I have an old HP Mini 100E, on which I tried countless verions of Linux. (Peppermint, Mint, Ubuntu, Open SuSE, Sabayon, Ubuntu Budgie, to name a few.) The problem is this little machine is designed for Windows 7 and school kids, and only has 2 GBs of Ram, so that limits my options. Most of these distros installed and ran, but NONE of them allowed me to get the WIFI up and running, no matter how many tutorials I followed. I also tried with two different USB WIFI dongles. No success. Then finally I tried Puppy, which to be honest, I had not tried in at least five years. (MUCH IMPROVED!!!) All I can say is: WOW!!! I did the install with the network cable connected and when I was through, it had detected my internal WIFI card with no problem. A few clicks and the WIFI key, and it was connected.

Thanks, people!

The one thing I have not figured out how to get running is the camera. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance an have a blessed day!

Dr. Steve, central Mexico
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 20 Oct 2019, 09:16    Post subject:  

We are Puppy!
Resistance is futile!

Welcome to Puppy Land!

Tell us what specific version of Puppy you are using?
The specific name of the Puppy version iso?

Some Puppies have camera programs installed.
Just need to set it up.
May need to install a camera program.

jafadmin

PostPosted: Sun 20 Oct 2019, 11:25    Post subject:  

Depending on whichever puppy version you are working with (BTW, always post this info to get help), click on: Menu->Multimedia->guvcview

That should fix you right up.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 20 Oct 2019, 13:52    Post subject:  

@ XE1UFO:-

Hallo.....and to 'the kennels'.

Yes; the version of Puppy is always helpful.....bearing in mind that at the last count there were over 5,000 'originals', 're-masters' & 're-spins' doing the rounds! Hardware specs are also always handy to know (especially the amount of RAM available - you have at least told us that.)

Be that as it may, much depends on what kind of webcam app you're looking for. If you want 'simple' (and 'easy-to-use'), take a look at this:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112299

VideoView.

One of the other guys here let me have a copy of this some time ago. It's a single, tiny, statically pre-compiled binary, built using the FastLightToolkit. He's always kept it in his 'toolbox', as a standby; he graciously gave me a copy when I was trying to get my webcam working in one of the very elderly Puppies, Racy 5.5.....the last of the pre-WoofCE "T2" builds, from several years ago.

I've never yet found a Puppy it won't fire-up in. I was so impressed with it for its tiny size, that I packaged it up together with a Menu entry, for ease of use. It even records video clips in AVI format.

'Simple' may be all you want.

As for other apps, well; there's

- GuvcView
- Luvcview
- UCView

(these 3 are traditional Linux packages)

There's also WebCamoid, packaged as an AppImage, which will run in most newer Pups, and which gives you access to all sorts of fancy special effects.

Doubtless there's others floating around that I haven't yet found. Linux doesn't have the preponderance of webcam stuff that's available for Windoze, yet what there is works well.....especially if you do your research, and get hold of one that's 'UVC-certified', and is supported by the in-kernel UVC (USB_Video_Class) driver. This then makes it literally plug'n'play.....

You pays your money (sic), and 'takes your pick...' Do bear in mind that in Puppyland, many of the very best packages don't come via the PPM (Puppy Package Manager).....they more often than not come as .pet or SFS packages, built by many of our community members, and hosted on personal 'cloud' hosting accounts - made available to everyone else in the community via posts here on the Forums.

------------------------------------------------

(The Advanced Topics->Additional Software (PETs, n'stuff) sub-forum is always worth having a good browse through. There's no end of real gems within that would never otherwise see the light of day.....)

Hope that helps, as far as it goes.

Mike. Wink

XE1UFO

PostPosted: Sun 20 Oct 2019, 15:35    Post subject:  

Thanks a trillion for the welcome and your most-kind words!

The ISO I downloaded and installed says:

bionicpup64-8.0-uefi

I am not in front of that computer at this moment. It has a 64-bit Atom N455 processor @ 1.66 MHz, 512 KB L2 cache. I do not know the make/model of the built-in camera.

It is not expandible beyond 2-Gigs of RAM, (as far as I know) although I did swap out the original hard drive for a 128-Gig SSD, leaving around 10 gigs for SWAP space. (Probably too much.)

The "E" on the end of "HP Mini 100E" means Education Edition.

Thanks again for your assistance!
100E-2.jpeg
 Description   
 Filesize   3.61 KB
 Viewed   145 Time(s)

100E-2.jpeg

100E-1.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   20.91 KB
 Viewed   162 Time(s)

100E-1.jpg

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct 2019, 08:23    Post subject:  

Cameras are usually used as a capture device within some running program so it is a case of setting up the specific program you are using.

BionicPup64 does have Menu>Multimedia>guvcview included so that should be able to display the camera on your screen and record or take snapshots.

Other tests for displaying camera on screen are things like in terminal:-
ffplay /dev/video0
mpv /dev/video0
If video0 does not work, look in /dev to see what possible video devices are there, maybe video1 or just video with no number.
Screenshot.jpg
 Description   guvcview in BionicPup64
 Filesize   91.43 KB
 Viewed   136 Time(s)

Screenshot.jpg

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: