Bionicpup64 won't restart after normal shutdown (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
soniabu

Bionicpup64 won't restart after normal shutdown (Solved)

#1 Post by soniabu »

Hello to all.
I had a problem that I can't get out of. Last night I turned off the system (bionicpu64) without me doing anything about it in terms of changes.
This morning, when I turned it on, I found myself in this situation and can
no longer restart, the PC stops at this point in the initialization:
bionicpup64 Linux
Linux 4.19.23 (x86_64 arch)
Login (5083): root login on 'tty1'

here, at this point, everything is blocked and the only thing I can do is turn off the PC. (Now to write in it I use a backup blondiepup32).

Can someone help me by suggesting a solution?
thanks
sonia P.S. the only thing I can do is restart with the RAM only option; in practice it is like starting over again, losing all the data and programs. :cry:

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Do you have a good backup copy of the save file/folder?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

soniabu

#3 Post by soniabu »

bigpup wrote:Do you have a good backup copy of the save file/folder?
Bigpup, no. I know it is terrible! However I can see the bionicpup64save.4fs file - I can do it using the operating system I write with (bionicpup32) -. So I could try to copy it to a 30GB USB pen and try to use it to try the initialization again. What do you think?
sonia
P.S. The bionicpup64save.4fs file is 12GB; but when I try to copy it to the 30GB USB stick at about 4GB the copy stops with error saying that the starting file is too big: and this seems a little strange to me ..

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

This is why you should be using save folders on ext partitions.

soniabu

#5 Post by soniabu »

rcrsn51 wrote:This is why you should be using save folders on ext partitions.
Iknow RCR, I did a few disasters

jafadmin

#6 Post by jafadmin »

The Fat32 filesystem on your pen/thumb drive has a 4gig filesize limitation. You need to copy it onto a pen/thumb with a ext2, 3, or 4 filesystem.

Once you have that sorted out you can boot into BionicPup64 using the pfix=ram option then navigate to the savefile location, click on it to mount it, and then run fsck to repair it.

This is probably fixable, just takes a few steps.

soniabu

#7 Post by soniabu »

jafadmin wrote:The Fat32 filesystem on your pen/thumb drive has a 4gig filesize limitation. You need to copy it onto a pen/thumb with a ext2, 3, or 4 filesystem.

Once you have that sorted out you can boot into BionicPup64 using the pfix=ram option then navigate to the savefile location, click on it to mount it, and then run fsck to repair it.

This is probably fixable, just takes a few steps.
OK Ill try
thx Jaf

mikeslr

#8 Post by mikeslr »

Edit: jafadmin, who has far more experience than I, posted while I was writing. Still, the following may be useful going forward.

Hello, soniabu.

There are a number of things which can corrupt a SaveFile/Folder. Fortunately, they rarely happen: power-surges or outages while a Save is occurring; junk you didn't know you picked up while surfing; installing an alien or broken application; and with a SaveFolder, accidentally deleting some necessary file. Still, they do happen.

It's almost impossible to diagnose the problem of an operating system you can't boot into. And if possible, it would take a long time, and a great amount of expertise: you'd have to examine the system and figure out what was missing, or what shouldn't be there.

SaveFiles/Folders are both Puppies' strong points and 'Achilles' heels'. They provide a simple way to preserve changes; but they are also the only part of a Puppy's operating system which can become corrupted. Which is why I never save data files within 'Puppy Space': Puppy Space is any folder which does not 'hang from /mnt'. Examples of folders hanging from /mnt are /mnt/home AKA /mnt/dev_save, and /mnt/sda2. With the 'stock' jwm-rox combination, these are the partitions which have launcher-icons just above the Taskbar. Any folder hanging from /mnt can be bookmarked for quick access. Any folder hanging from /mnt can be dragged into /root and Link(relative) selected to create a symlink so that all your applications will automatically offer to save to that folder and open files from that folder.

The applications you installed can be re-installed into a new SaveFile/Folder. SFSes you used can again be loaded. The setting for your applications can be re-established. The only things of importance you may have in your 'locked' SaveFile/Folder are datafiles. Here's what I'd do to try to recover them:

Boot into Bionic32. If you were using a Bionicpup64 SaveFolder, you probably can file-browse into that folder and copy any datafiles to somewhere 'hanging from /mnt'. If you were using a Bionicpup64 SaveFile, you can probably file-browse to that SaveFile and Left-Click it. A window will open and from that window you can copy any datafiles to somewhere 'hanging from /mnt'. My guess is that the most likely location of datafiles will be in /root/my-documents.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Soniabu, you probably already know this, but you can format the 30 GB USB flash drive to ext2, 3 or 4 using Gparted (in Blondiepup or Bionicpup).

soniabu

#10 Post by soniabu »

mikeslr wrote:Edit: jafadmin, who has far more experience than I, posted while I was writing. Still, the following may be useful going forward.

Hello, soniabu.

There are a number of things which can corrupt a SaveFile/Folder. Fortunately, they rarely happen: power-surges or outages while a Save is occurring; junk you didn't know you picked up while surfing; installing an alien or broken application; and with a SaveFolder, accidentally deleting some necessary file. Still, they do happen.

It's almost impossible to diagnose the problem of an operating system you can't boot into. And if possible, it would take a long time, and a great amount of expertise: you'd have to examine the system and figure out what was missing, or what shouldn't be there.

SaveFiles/Folders are both Puppies' strong points and 'Achilles' heels'. They provide a simple way to preserve changes; but they are also the only part of a Puppy's operating system which can become corrupted. Which is why I never save data files within 'Puppy Space': Puppy Space is any folder which does not 'hang from /mnt'. Examples of folders hanging from /mnt are /mnt/home AKA /mnt/dev_save, and /mnt/sda2. With the 'stock' jwm-rox combination, these are the partitions which have launcher-icons just above the Taskbar. Any folder hanging from /mnt can be bookmarked for quick access. Any folder hanging from /mnt can be dragged into /root and Link(relative) selected to create a symlink so that all your applications will automatically offer to save to that folder and open files from that folder.

The applications you installed can be re-installed into a new SaveFile/Folder. SFSes you used can again be loaded. The setting for your applications can be re-established. The only things of importance you may have in your 'locked' SaveFile/Folder are datafiles. Here's what I'd do to try to recover them:

Boot into Bionic32. If you were using a Bionicpup64 SaveFolder, you probably can file-browse into that folder and copy any datafiles to somewhere 'hanging from /mnt'. If you were using a Bionicpup64 SaveFile, you can probably file-browse to that SaveFile and Left-Click it. A window will open and from that window you can copy any datafiles to somewhere 'hanging from /mnt'. My guess is that the most likely location of datafiles will be in /root/my-documents.
"Soniabu, you probably already know this, but you can format the 30 GB USB flash drive to ext2, 3 or 4 using Gparted (in Blondiepup or Bionicpup)."
"
ok thanks guys, i'm working on it and just working out (one way or another) i'll let you know.
Thanks again
s

soniabu

#11 Post by soniabu »

So dear friends, the bad day went like this:
1) I recovered from the bionicpup64save that failed, some folders containing some data and programs.
(this thanks to the bionicpup32 backup system);
2) also recovered all FFox bookmarks and books from a Caliber backup.
3) I booted with the RAM only option; I created a new bionicpup64save outside the puppy space; so I re-installed all the lost programs.
Now the system seems to work properly.
Thank you very much for your valuable advice and support.
See you soon
sonia

foxpup

recommendation

#12 Post by foxpup »

soniabu wrote:The bionicpup64save.4fs file is 12GB
:shock: That is not the proper way to use Puppy.
You should keep as much as possible 'outside' the pupsave file or directory.
"Keep your savefile slim and healthy" from shinobar has about all the basics.

soniabu

Re: recommendation

#13 Post by soniabu »

foxpup wrote:
soniabu wrote:The bionicpup64save.4fs file is 12GB
:shock: That is not the proper way to use Puppy.
You should keep as much as possible 'outside' the pupsave file or directory.
"Keep your savefile slim and healthy" from shinobar has about all the basics.
however foxpup, my situation is what you see. The photo (Graphic Disk Mgr) illustrates the distribution of data on the disk. I created a pup64save .2sf from 4, 3GB.
However, since I use (I see) even Windows disks, I store all my data on these disks, I believe, and not on pupsave. it is my belief that everyone is stored in pupsave.2sf
are pgm 's that I download from PPM (openvpn, beachbit, Okular etc); at least I hope so.