New Wary/Racy website

Promote Puppy !
Mike Walsh

#61 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Ken:-

Might be just as simple to use the 'portable' package I assembled for PM_sse 27.9.4:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 06#1022606

True, it has its own glibc 'tweak' built-in. You can leave the one you've installed where it is, however; it won't interfere with the operation of the portable.

D/load it; unzip it; put the 'palemoon32' directory anywhere you want, though preferably outside of 'Puppy-space'. Fire it up from the 'plmn' script (you can drag this to the desktop as a launcher)

Instructions are included for transferring an existing profile to the 'portable', so you can keep all your bookmarks, etc. Let us know how you get on with it, please.

Mike. :wink:.

ally

#62 Post by ally »

keniv

#63 Post by keniv »

@Mike
Might be just as simple to use the 'portable' package I assembled for PM_sse 27.9.4:-
Thanks for this Mike. Have just installed your package to sda1. I decided just to make a new profile which did not take long. Made a desktop start button. Even used the icon in your package. Also installed ublock legacy. All seems to be working well and I'm posting from it now. Running it on an old Toshiba laptop (800MHz and 320MB) and PM 27.9.4 runs quite fast and is very usable.

Thanks again,

Ken.

Mike Walsh

#64 Post by Mike Walsh »

keniv wrote:@Mike
Thanks for this Mike. Have just installed your package to sda1. I decided just to make a new profile which did not take long. Made a desktop start button. Even used the icon in your package. Also installed ublock legacy. All seems to be working well and I'm posting from it now. Running it on an old Toshiba laptop (800MHz and 320MB) and PM 27.9.4 runs quite fast and is very usable.

Thanks again,

Ken.
No problemo, Ken. Glad I could help. It's based around the .pet watchdog put together; credit must, of course, go to Fredx181 for the method used. It just works very well for all the Mozilla-based browsers; Firefox, Palemoon, and SeaMonkey all respond equally favourably.

Enjoy.

Mike. :wink:

tuxtoo

#65 Post by tuxtoo »

nic007 wrote:Hi, tuxtoo - Use this download link for the Opera Mini sfs on your Racy website: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zrDXy ... DhUi3sphfl
This is a newly created sfs with Opera Mini already setup and probably also has a newer version of Opera Mini. The old thread on the forum is outdated, gives setup instructions and could confuse people.
Hi Nic, Apologies for the delay in replying. For what ever reason I am not getting notified of replies to this thread despite being subscribed to it.

I have copied OperaMini.sfs from your Google Drive and added it to my Dropbox Account and updated the website

Thanks.
Puppy Linux search engine.

[b][url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url][/b] Suitable for older browsers.

Mirror [b][url]https://puppysearch.neocities.org[/url][/b]

tuxtoo

#66 Post by tuxtoo »

ally wrote:I've mirrored Racy Pup to http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_RacyPup_Repo

:)
Thanks ally, nice job. :D

keniv

#67 Post by keniv »

@tuxtoo,
Mike Walsh wrote:@ Ken:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 06#1022606

True, it has its own glibc 'tweak' built-in. You can leave the one you've installed where it is, however; it won't interfere with the operation of the portable.

D/load it; unzip it; put the 'palemoon32' directory anywhere you want, though preferably outside of 'Puppy-space'. Fire it up from the 'plmn' script (you can drag this to the desktop as a launcher)

Instructions are included for transferring an existing profile to the 'portable', so you can keep all your bookmarks, etc.

Mike. :wink:.
Could I suggest you add the above version of PM to the website under 'Internet'. I gives those trying to run Racy on less well speced machines the chance to run a reasonably up to date and easy to use browser. Can I also suggest that changing the homepage to duckduck go lite or startpage lets PM start more quickly on these old machines.

Regards,

Ken.

tuxtoo

#68 Post by tuxtoo »

keniv wrote:Could I suggest you add the above version of PM to the website under 'Internet'. I gives those trying to run Racy on less well speced machines the chance to run a reasonably up to date and easy to use browser. Can I also suggest that changing the homepage to duckduck go lite or startpage lets PM start more quickly on these old machines.
Hi Ken, No problem adding PM Portable to the website. As far as I am aware the homepage is set when PM is compiled and not something I would be able to do. Although I would be happyto be proved wrong on this. However. setting the homepage to DuckDuckGo or Startpage is something that the user is expected to do when initially setting up the browser to their own liking.

tuxtoo

EDIT: Oops, I downloaded PM Portable and the and the search engines for the search box can be edited, but from what I can see after a quick look there is no way to change the homepage.

PM Portable added to the website.

Mike Walsh

#69 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Stu/Ken:-

Nah. You can set any browser to open on any web-page you choose, here in Puppy.

Palemoon 27.9.4_SSE has two ways you can do this.

1) Menu->Tools->Preferences. Hit the 'General' tab. Where it says 'Home page', just make sure the URL of the web-page you want for a home page is showing. You can delete the Palemoon one; it's not compulsory to keep it, y'know!

In all the Mozilla-based browsers (Firefox, Palemoon, Seamonkey, etc), if you want to fire the browser up with more than one page showing, just carry on adding URLs.....but you separate 'em with the 'pipe' symbol ('|'). Like so:-

.....and so on.

------------------------------

The Chromium-based browsers have a variation on this, but allow you to specify each extra, additional web-page separately. However, the easiest way to get round this, which definitely works in JWM - MochiMoppel showed the way with this one a while ago - involves your desktop 'launcher'...........whether an actual .desktop entry, or even just an executable script.

In the case of the SSE-only PM_portable, drag the 'plmn' script onto the desktop, OK? Right-click->Edit item. Brings this up:-

In the second box down - 'Arguments to pass (for executables)', simply enter the URL you want. That's your 'argument'..! Like so:-

Easy-peasy. But everything is, when you know how......

keniv

#70 Post by keniv »

tuxtoo wrote:
keniv wrote:Could I suggest you add the above version of PM to the website under 'Internet'. I gives those trying to run Racy on less well speced machines the chance to run a reasonably up to date and easy to use browser. Can I also suggest that changing the homepage to duckduck go lite or startpage lets PM start more quickly on these old machines.
However. setting the homepage to DuckDuckGo or Startpage is something that the user is expected to do when initially setting up the browser to their own liking.

tuxtoo
Yes I expect the user to do this. I only suggested it because I think somebody using PM, on an old machine, for the first time might be disappointed with the speed at which it starts up. It's quite easy to change the home page. First search for duckduckgo lite then go to site. Then Tools>Preferences>General>Startup and select 'show my home page'. Then press 'use current page' button and then click 'close'. Doing this makes with either duckduckgo or startpage makes startup much faster on old machines.Thanks for adding this version of PM to the website.

Regards,

Ken.

Edit. I see I have just crossed my post with Mikes. He has given a much more detailed explanation of what to do.

tuxtoo

#71 Post by tuxtoo »

@Mike

Your first two images was what I meant by:- setting the homepage to DuckDuckGo or Startpage is something that the user is expected to do when initially setting up the browser to their own liking. Sorry, I should have explained that like you have. Cheers for pointing out about making assumptions about a users knowledge. Something I am guilty of. :wink:

EDIT: Clarity all round thanks to Mike and Ken.

Mike Walsh

#72 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Ken:-
keniv wrote:Edit. I see I have just crossed my post with Mikes. He has given a much more detailed explanation of what to do.
As the old saw has it, Ken, 'A picture is worth a thousand words'. That is the reason I use 'em so much.....for added clarity.

I learnt a long time ago that the majority of individuals I've encountered over the years respond far more favourably to an image of something that they do to a long, verbose, 'flowery' description of something. I certainly do. I'm also more receptive to taking in, and learning new stuff, in the afternoons, rather than the mornings; I guess it's just the way my 'body-clock' is set! Plus, it's far simpler to make a particular point about something with an image.....

Homo sapiens evolved to be very much 'sight-centric' in his interactions with the world around him. Images, pictures, diagrams, videos, TV programs, computers. cellphones - these all assume the posession of good vision. Without sight, most of these lose much of their usefullness.

Old Charlie Darwin wasn't that far out with his famous 'theory'.....

Mike. :wink;

slackfan

#73 Post by slackfan »

your site gives us wonderful information. but sorry, it make some problems hidden!

your Wary / Racy list concern (very) old builds...

If you use them on a already formated old hard disk (for ex. by some Debian or Ubuntu like distros), you will probably meet some ext4 partitions and I suppose NO ONE UNDER THE NAMED release were ACTUALIZED to process without toil those partitions,

a very bad deal

what is to do, what are you being to recommend in such cases?

is an adaptation *.pet somewhere available?

slackfan

#74 Post by slackfan »

next unsolved problem in the Quirky familie, I only will use the opportunity to remember:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117176

Mike Walsh

#75 Post by Mike Walsh »

slackfan wrote:your site gives us wonderful information. but sorry, it make some problems hidden!

your Wary / Racy list concern (very) old builds...

If you use them on a already formated old hard disk (for ex. by some Debian or Ubuntu like distros), you will probably meet some ext4 partitions and I suppose NO ONE UNDER THE NAMED release were ACTUALIZED to process without toil those partitions,

a very bad deal

what is to do, what are you being to recommend in such cases?

is an adaptation *.pet somewhere available?
Oui, why are you inventing problems where they don't exist, hmm?

(We all know it's you, mate. Your prose 'style' is too unmistakeable to hide behind an alias, y'know. "Actualizing"....Do me a favour. That's you all over. Translation engines simply aren't that bad at their job..... :roll: )

oui

#76 Post by oui »

Hi Mike
Mike Walsh wrote:Oui, why are you inventing problems where they don't exist, hmm?

(We all know it's you, mate. Your prose 'style' is too unmistakeable to hide behind an alias, y'know. "Actualizing"....Do me a favour. That's you all over. Translation engines simply aren't that bad at their job..... :roll: )

Your are, I think a really poor person. Instead to help, or answer correctly, you attack both I and an other person :twisted: having to do with me, it's true (i'm 74 y. old and have 1 divorced wife, 1 wife, 3 children probably so young as you but old enough to have own adult childrens, 4 in total). One of them is Puppy lover with other young people, and meet own problems in Puppy, problems that I can't solve because also I know actually no answer. And in such situations I say to him: «You know the Puppy forum :!: . Ask there ...».

And you find, that it is not ok?

An attack us for that?

Hm

Really maximal poor person 8) , sorry!

:roll:

oui

#77 Post by oui »

And now:

I find this deception have more and more person trying in the background and all able to communicate in English, and you see the effect at Distrowatch :idea: (distrowatch is offered in other languages).

What will you answer to those fresh idealist persons discovering a terribly overaged Puppy? You see I help where I can at the forum espec. at «Beginners help». You see daily new members (they MUST BECOME MEMBER to have the possibility to ask 1 first question. If they really continue to be members after the answer :roll: hm ...)

Puppy is now a show business where the developers grow their own image presenting a lot of not continued "famous" developments.

It is the main problem of Puppy: No continuity

and

a certain chaos in the management of information.

For example cetered at the head of the forum http://puppylinux.com . It offers that what German people are naming "alte Schinken" oder French people "du pain rassis". No presentation of the ONLY ONE PUPPY BEING AVAILABLE FOR ALL KIND OF PC's (supported by Puppy) excepted ARM's ones, and absolutely up to date:

Buster Pup's from Josejp2424

with 3 really comparable versions for 64, 32 PAE and 32 noPAE computers...

with all old performances of Puppy espec. the ability to be remastered :idea: (and over that to activate apt and apt-get)...

josejp2424 did made a wonderful job for PC having enough RAM to support those ISOs

but those other having not?

It was the question posed by this thread:

what is today with the idea presented in (old) wary's :?:

Mike Walsh

#78 Post by Mike Walsh »

Oui:-

No, nobody is attacking anyone here. But I find it odd that two different individuals should end up using the same translation engine, and getting an IDENTICAL, very odd translation....which I've only ever seen you use..!

I just found it, um.....curious, y'know? Ah, hell; perhaps I'm reading too much into it. Just ignore my ramblings in future, okay? :) I'm having "one of those days", I think.....

---------------------------

With regard to the older distros like Wary & Racy, it's more to do with 'nostalgia' than anything else. Me, personally, I found it works better with any older computer if you run an OS that would have been new at the time when it was built.

On top of which, I just have fun seeing what older hardware is still capable of. I certainly have nothing against the newest Puppies - I run them myself - but I still like playing with the older ones, too......and if a 2002 laptop doesn't count as "old", then I don't know what does..! :lol:

oui

#79 Post by oui »

Mike, you look at Puppy as it would be a kind of virtual museum and it is wrong for Puppy.

The releases from josejp2424 show us, that Puppy can be completely actual.

Quirky April did show us, that it also can be extremely small if not build by a not optimized distro builder!

People using old PCs belong to diverse categories: A great group has no high goals using computers and buy old PC because they are enough and continuing to use them you avoid to create more damages for the environment.

But they try to use major distributions... All major distributions use grubPC as well as ext4 if you don't install in expert mode. They are 10 y. now that it is the new norm and 10 y. are an extremely long time in matter micro computers...

Used as a lot of puppyist do with old file system not any more n use in the rest of the Linux world make out Puppy a bad user unfriendly distro because it can' t be added friendly in an pre existing file system in the actual format ext4 with boot system in grubPC.

only the other, the poor people coming directly from windows and willing to preserve windows can really be happy with that situation only because they hope to preserve maximal her windows system. They are generally no Linux fan at all; they would prefer a Puppy one bone where the only on application would be Wine :roll:

It is time to realize in the Puppy world that also Puppy as to accept that, what GNU did decide 10 y. ago and more.

both, ext4 and grubPC came not from Microsoft, not from Apple but came involving GNU and FOSS to make Linux more powerful and not split by a lot of new file system like Reiser etc. (that we did meet in the years before) destroying the compatibility within the Linux-"world".

nic007

#80 Post by nic007 »

Just a note. SMPlayer available as download on the website does not work for me. I guess this must be a newer version which requires later libraries to be installed but I'm still running the original Racy just with the Tahr kernel. However, the gnome-mplayer listed under the Wary 5-repo in the official Racy Puppy Package Manager does work and also has a nice GUI. The latter is also a very small download.