(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Sep 2020, 13:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Saving file Is full
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 3 [35 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
memo

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2019, 06:16    Post subject:  Saving file Is full  

Hi all,

my question is simple, my save file is only 4 gig and it is already almost full. what should I do because I keep expermenting with the apps that I need and i need more space.

Kind regards,
Memo
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2019, 06:33    Post subject:  

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101314

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
memo

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2019, 07:14    Post subject:  

rufwoof wrote:

thanks for your post I have read it and I understand the problem is that I created the pin drive under windows using fat32, however I couldnot find the solution. for instance can I make many 2sf file to save my things, the solution is still Unclear to me. theanks
nic007

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2019, 08:13    Post subject:  

memo wrote:
rufwoof wrote:

thanks for your post I have read it and I understand the problem is that I created the pin drive under windows using fat32, however I couldnot find the solution. for instance can I make many 2sf file to save my things, the solution is still Unclear to me. theanks

This thread may be of interest to you: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117254
For an alternative easy way: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1041812#1041812
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2019, 15:03    Post subject:  

Yes. nic007 has 'hit the nail on the head' and proposed solutions. With Puppy on a partition formatted as Fat32 or ntfs the maximum size of a SaveFile is 4 Gb. The limit is not imposed by the SaveFile. It's imposed by partition format which can't manage files greater than 4Gb.

But I'd add one other consideration. Puppies can only use one SaveFile, one ydrv.sfs and one adrv.sfs. But they can use an almost unlimited number of Application.SFSes.

How many of the applications you needed and installed have actually had to have been installed? Were there SFS or other equivalents? For example, instead of installing LibreOffice -- it will occupy about 600 Mbs of your SaveFile-- you could have used a LibreOffice.sfs which would occupy no space in your SaveFile. Although Wine, itself, is small any Windows application you install into Wine will occupy your SaveFile. That can quickly use of gigabytes of your SaveFile. As an alternative, you could have used Wine-portable. It occupies less than 2 Mbs of your SaveFile and rather than locating the "Wine-data" --where the programs will be installed-- within the SaveFile, it places them in a folder on the partition where you unpacked Wine-portable.

The only applications which have to be installed are those which run under the python frame-work. [SFSes have lower priority than builtin or 'installed' applications. As a result, the python libraries within an SFS will not be used if there are python modules builtin or installed].

All other pets can be converted to SFSes. Better yet, you can simultaneously combine and convert several pets into SFS suites, e.g. a graphic suite, a video suite, a music-suite.

ITSMERSH has published a handy tool, PaDS, for combining pets, SFSes, debs and other Linux application packages. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=998922#998922. There are two ways to use it. The easiest is to place all the packages you want in a folder with an appropriate name such as 'graphic-suite'. Then right-click the folder, select combine to sfs, and an SFS named, such as graphic-suite.sfs, will be created at /root. If you use Puppy Package Manager to install xdotool, you can also run PaDS from the Menu. That will give you the options to not having to place all files in one folder --you can browse to the packages you want-- not having PaDS build the SFS in RAM and having the resulting SFS built on Storage (your partition) rather than in RAM.

PaDS can be used even if you only want to convert one application such as LibreOffice.

There are some applications you'll never want to update. Having them in an adrv.sfs or a ydrv.sfs is a great idea. Others, such as LibreOffice, are frequently updated. Having such in a separate SFS means you won't have to rebuilt an adrv or ydrv each time you update.

The only applications I actually install are (a) frameworks, such as qt libraries, which are required by many other applications; (b) required, but small, such as xdotool; or (c) updates to builtin applications. All of these will later be included in a remaster, or an SFS or, using nic007's application, an adrv or ydrv.

If nothing else, if you run firefox, palemoon or seamonky, either use one of the portables or move its cache from /root to /mnt/home and symlink it back. Ask if you need help. Files cached from the web can eat up 100's of Mbs of your SaveFile each time you browse the Web.
memo

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2019, 18:04    Post subject:  

mikeslr wrote:
Yes. nic007 has 'hit the nail on the head' and proposed solutions. With Puppy on a partition formatted as Fat32 or ntfs the maximum size of a SaveFile is 4 Gb. The limit is not imposed by the SaveFile. It's imposed by partition format which can't manage files greater than 4Gb.

But I'd add one other consideration. Puppies can only use one SaveFile, one ydrv.sfs and one adrv.sfs. But they can use an almost unlimited number of Application.SFSes.

How many of the applications you needed and installed have actually had to have been installed? Were there SFS or other equivalents? For example, instead of installing LibreOffice -- it will occupy about 600 Mbs of your SaveFile-- you could have used a LibreOffice.sfs which would occupy no space in your SaveFile. Although Wine, itself, is small any Windows application you install into Wine will occupy your SaveFile. That can quickly use of gigabytes of your SaveFile. As an alternative, you could have used Wine-portable. It occupies less than 2 Mbs of your SaveFile and rather than locating the "Wine-data" --where the programs will be installed-- within the SaveFile, it places them in a folder on the partition where you unpacked Wine-portable.

The only applications which have to be installed are those which run under the python frame-work. [SFSes have lower priority than builtin or 'installed' applications. As a result, the python libraries within an SFS will not be used if there are python modules builtin or installed].

All other pets can be converted to SFSes. Better yet, you can simultaneously combine and convert several pets into SFS suites, e.g. a graphic suite, a video suite, a music-suite.

ITSMERSH has published a handy tool, PaDS, for combining pets, SFSes, debs and other Linux application packages. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=998922#998922. There are two ways to use it. The easiest is to place all the packages you want in a folder with an appropriate name such as 'graphic-suite'. Then right-click the folder, select combine to sfs, and an SFS named, such as graphic-suite.sfs, will be created at /root. If you use Puppy Package Manager to install xdotool, you can also run PaDS from the Menu. That will give you the options to not having to place all files in one folder --you can browse to the packages you want-- not having PaDS build the SFS in RAM and having the resulting SFS built on Storage (your partition) rather than in RAM.

PaDS can be used even if you only want to convert one application such as LibreOffice.

There are some applications you'll never want to update. Having them in an adrv.sfs or a ydrv.sfs is a great idea. Others, such as LibreOffice, are frequently updated. Having such in a separate SFS means you won't have to rebuilt an adrv or ydrv each time you update.

The only applications I actually install are (a) frameworks, such as qt libraries, which are required by many other applications; (b) required, but small, such as xdotool; or (c) updates to builtin applications. All of these will later be included in a remaster, or an SFS or, using nic007's application, an adrv or ydrv.

If nothing else, if you run firefox, palemoon or seamonky, either use one of the portables or move its cache from /root to /mnt/home and symlink it back. Ask if you need help. Files cached from the web can eat up 100's of Mbs of your SaveFile each time you browse the Web.

this is great explanation, but I dononot know what applciation use for instant pythin and what is not, what application should run as an app and what as sfs. I tried googleearth portable and google portable and they didnot work on xenilla 32, maybe I donot do it correctly
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2019, 20:51    Post subject:  

Hi memo,

Always tell us EXACTLY which Puppy you are using. Do you mean Xenialpup 7.5, Xenialpup64-7.5 or some earlier version. If you’re using an earlier version, I strongly recommend replacing it. If your system is 64, see if you can use BionicPup64. If your computer can only manage 32-bit operating systems, my recommendation would be to try radky’s dpup-stretch.

Google stopped publishing 32-bit versions of Google-Chrome 2 years ago. Mad If you've a 64-bit system, you'll want Mike Walsh's Google-Chrome.SFS, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=909718#909718 From the link on that post, choose the SFS version, not the pet.

If your can only use a 32-bit operating system, then FYI, google-chrome uses Chromium as its test bed; then adds its branding and a lot of “google-call home”. Others take Chromium and publish 32-bit “clones”. You’ll find on the Additional Software Forum threads for slimjet, vivaldi, chromium and opera. My recollection is that all offer SFS version. But, I could be mistaken. Some may have been published as pets. As I said, almost any pet can be converted to an SFS. Those web-browsers aren’t exceptions.

See this thread regarding Google-Earth. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111081 Short version. There was an SFS employing Google-Earth version 6. Version 6 no longer works, not only under any Puppy but under any operating system. Thank Google. Evil or Very Mad It turned off the servers. Mike Walsh’s SFS versioon 7 sfs seems to run fine on MY computer under Xenialpup64 without needing any boot codes. So does the 32-bit version. I have Xenialpup64’s 32bit Compatibility SFS loaded. [Note, this is a Remastered version of Xenialpup64. Yours may not have the libraries I’ve added. We can deal with that later, if necessary]. If you can’t get google-earth to work, you may want to try the mapper.acme application sszindian found, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1013090#1013090

Uninstalling your installed pets and converting them to SFS(es) shouldn’t be much of a problem. VERY FEW APPLICATIONS ARE BASED ON PYTHON. We may be able to help you identify any which would be. Open Menu>Setup>Puppy Package Manager, then click the “Uninstall” Button. If necessary, scroll down so that you can take a screenshot of what applications you’ve installed. Take more than one screenshot if necessary. Then post the screenshots. Don’t forget to close PPM without uninstalling anything. Smile

Rather than having to hunt up all the pets you’ve installed, you may want to install gnewpet, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=598673#598673 a nifty application jpeps created. You’ll find an SFS version here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=669547#669547. It will recreate any builtin or installed pet. The recreated pet will have all the files and other components of the original pet. You can place those recreated pets in one or more folders and use PaDS to create one or more SFSes.

If you don't even have enough room to install gnewpet, remember to run the cache cleaning applications in all your web-browsers, then execute a Save and Reboot.
bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2019, 00:52    Post subject:  

Quote:
With Puppy on a partition formatted as Fat32 or ntfs the maximum size of a SaveFile is 4 Gb

Small correction.
True for fat 32.
NTFS maximum theoretical limit on the size of individual files is 16 EiB. With Windows 10 version 1709 and Windows Server 2019, the maximum implemented file size is 8 PB minus 2 MB or 9,007,199,252,643,840 bytes.

bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2019, 01:00    Post subject:  

One thing you can do is stop putting everything in the save file.
Pictures
Documents
Downloads
backups
etc......
Anything not installed into Puppy or config settings.

Just put this stuff into /mnt/home
That is outside of the save file, but still on whatever storage device Puppy is on.

Also stored browser cache takes up a lot of room in the save.
Set browser to clear the cache or manually do it from time to time.

memo

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2019, 03:58    Post subject:  

mikeslr wrote:
Hi memo,

Always tell us EXACTLY which Puppy you are using. Do you mean Xenialpup 7.5, Xenialpup64-7.5 or some earlier version. If you’re using an earlier version, I strongly recommend replacing it. If your system is 64, see if you can use BionicPup64. If your computer can only manage 32-bit operating systems, my recommendation would be to try radky’s dpup-stretch.

would you kindly give more explanation on why you are recommending this distro and not keeping my xenial 7.5 32 bit.
nic007

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2019, 04:24    Post subject:  

So, what have you done about your savefile issue. Many suggestions have been made, what did you do?
memo

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2019, 06:35    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
So, what have you done about your savefile issue. Many suggestions have been made, what did you do?

I tried your suggestions, I guess it was a mistake implementing it. would you kindly make a detailed tutorial with screenshots or a youtube video.

for now I did remaster so I can get extra 4 gig in the next boot
nic007

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2019, 06:57    Post subject:  

memo wrote:
nic007 wrote:

I tried your suggestions, I guess it was a mistake implementing it. would you kindly make a detailed tutorial with screenshots or a youtube video.

Remaster was another option. Good, nothing wrong with going that route.
Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2019, 10:26    Post subject:  

memo wrote:
nic007 wrote:

You most likely don't need this but here is a method I have used.
Further explanations can be done if needed.
Get a big memory stick or USB hard drive and format it to EXT2 and make this your boot device.
When you want to add something huge (like a video) to the system put it on the stick in a directory.
You can use it there directly or via the "ln" command make a link to it in a place you want to see it. A link takes very little space.
You can also make your /tmp directory be on the memory stick (if you are making it huge with files) in much the same way.

BTW: Puppy does come with the tool for making a new extra SFS to add to the system. This can be handy when you want to add zillions of little things because unlike the remastering option, you keep the option of booting without all the added stuff
Boot: puppy pfix=ram
This makes the system boot without the save file. You can then shutdown and make a new save file with the "NoExtra" in the name.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2019, 13:13    Post subject:  

“would you kindly give more explanation on why you are recommending this distro and not keeping my xenial 7.5 32 bit.”

There is nothing CURRENTLY wrong with Xenialpup32-7.5. Next year, however, the openssl built-in will reach End of Life, That means no one will be working on maintaining its purpose which is to provide secure internet connections. It is a component not easy to replace with an updated version.

Not all is lost. I often boot into Slacko 5.7.2CE whose openssl reached EOL years ago. This doesn’t worry me as I boot frugal and shutdown without Saving anything. See this Post, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=974066#974066. Whatever ‘junk’ I may have inadvertently picked up while surfing is cleared from memory. The next time I boot into Slacko 5.7.2CE it will be as pristine as the last.

However, Websites are increasingly concerned with security. Many already test to determine whether your Web-browser is reasonably current and, if not, will deny access. I expect Websites will eventually take the same approach to SSL applications; perhaps not soon, but also not in the far distant future.

The purpose of an operating system is to enable you to accomplish real-life tasks as easily as possible. If your computer can’t handle a current operating system, an old Puppy is better than no operating system. If a current operating system, with the latest security software, and systems which will be maintained for the next five years will function just as well as an Old Puppy, why use an Old Puppy?

I put a lot of time and effort into creating the Slacko 5.7.2CE remaster. So you might say I have an irrational attachment to it. I’ll probably keep booting into it from time to time as long as it will provide adequate access to internet sites. But as I said on its Thread, if you are starting from scratch, dpup-stretch is a better choice.

The same considerations apply to Xenialpup, whether 64 or 32-bit. That’s why I’m ‘transitioning’ from using Xenialpup64 to using BionicPup64 as my primary operating system.

Fortunately, you didn’t have to ‘start from scratch’ to resolve the problem you had. Remastering has resulted in a functional system which hopefully you’ll be able to use for several years.

Now that your system is again functional, I do suggest you give consideration to the advice you’ve received about how to keep your SaveFile small. The three most effective ways to do that are (1) turn off the Automatic Save; (2) do not save documents/datafiles anywhere in root, such as in root/my-documents; and (3) if you are not using one of the portable web-browsers, move its cache storage location out of /root. Ask if you need help in how to accomplish these.
Page 1 of 3 [35 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: