Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Jan 2020, 06:57
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Conneting puppy to public printer
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
memo

PostPosted: Sat 30 Nov 2019, 08:45    Post subject:  Conneting puppy to public printer  

Hi all,

has anyone ever tried to connect puppylinux to a printer that exist in a public network. For instance, a library, in that situation I you would have no knowledge of the model of the printer and there is no technical support is available int he lib to help.

kindly be as detailed as possible!

regards,

rufwoof

PostPosted: Sat 30 Nov 2019, 13:32    Post subject:  

I often boot a cut-down Bulldog (Fatdog's initramfs cli). Within that I run Screen (a terminal multiplexor) that I use to connect to ssh server where I run email/irc ..etc (within tmux). When it comes to gui type activities under that setup, I just have my android phone mounted (using sshfs, so it appears as just another folder on the laptop).

If for instance I'm running text only irssi/irc and someone posts a url of a image, perhaps a picture of their desktop, then I use Screen's copy buffer (ctrl-a esc key combination) to highlight that url using just the arrow keys (and spacebar toggle of start/end of copy region) and paste that (ctrl-A ]) into a file on my android. I keep a file (Downloads/bookmarks.html on android, /android/Downloads/bookmarks on laptop) open in another Screen window on the laptop and on the android (where the file is opened with Open HTML Viewer) - so on the android its just a case of long pressing the url (that was pasted into that file by the laptop) and Chrome is one of the open actions - which I tap to open that image/video/web page ... whatever.

I've outlined that here as you could do use a similar approach for using a public printer. usb-cable (using something like simple-mtpfs) or wireless (using something like SSHHelper android app) connect your laptop/desktop to your phone, save/copy/or move the file to be printed to the shared folder/tree (drag and drop in more usual circumstances), and use your android phone to connect/print with the public printer. Fundamentally just set up a link between your phone and desktop/laptop for such sharing/actions (printing/whatever), using whichever method you prefer.

Personally I print very little nowadays. Even for the likes of travel documents or concert tickets most places will accept a copy stored on your phone. Most public printers are also typically well set up for using a phone to print file(s) stored on that phone.

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: