Best way to install Puppy 2.10 on a Thinkpad 560x HD

Booting, installing, newbie
bryguy

Best way to install Puppy 2.10 on a Thinkpad 560x HD

#1 Post by bryguy »

I've got an old 560x laptop, P233MMX with 96MB RAM, a (wiped) 10GB drive, floppy drive but no cdrom drive. I do have an old SCSI Plextor 6X drive with a Zip PCMCIA to SCSI adapter (I think it's an Adapte 1540/1520).

Problem: I've been able to create a WakePup2 boot disk and copy some of the ISO files to a bootable USB drive and can boot to the Puppy desktop with xorg. However, I want to install Puppy onto the hard drive, but I seem to run out of memory about the time Puppy tries to create a GRUB file and doesn't create it.

I tried using the Puppybarebones-2.01rc2 to reduce the memory footprint and can boot up (and with the XFree86 screen corruption problem a la Neomagic), but when I attempt to install to the hard drive, the system seems to lock up during the "Please wait...copying files" dialog. Am I not waiting long enough? It seemed to take only a few moments for the same process using the 2.10 version.

FYI, I've intially partitioned the drive into a 9GB hda1 and a 256MB swap file using Puppy 2.10's partition editor.

What's the best way to get Puppy onto this old laptop?

Thanks,
Bryan

gary101

Likewise

#2 Post by gary101 »

I seem to be having a similar problem
Hardware:Processor Duron 650mhz, Memory 384Mb PC133, HD 4.6Gb

Had a similar problem installing 2.10 to another machine (K6 200mhz) but it seemed persistance paid off and I eventually got it installed to the hard drive.
However if I was trying to do anything too intensive, installing the open office dotpup for example, it would have the same fault ie lock up.

Now I am trying to install 2.11 to the above machine I am getting the same problem, seems just like a memory leek or something.

I am glad to hear that it is not just me having this happen (sorry bryguy) and having had the same fault on two machines seems to point to a software problem.

Has anyone else experienced this? anybody got a solution or workaround?

I would love to make Puppy my main operating system for work but with this fault I cannot move to that stage.

Any help appreciated!! 8)

Re: Best way to install Puppy 2.10 on a Thinkpad 560x HD

#3 Post by Guest »

bryguy wrote:I've got an old 560x laptop, P233MMX with 96MB RAM, a (wiped) 10GB drive, floppy drive but no cdrom drive. I do have an old SCSI Plextor 6X drive with a Zip PCMCIA to SCSI adapter (I think it's an Adapte 1540/1520).

Problem: I've been able to create a WakePup2 boot disk and copy some of the ISO files to a bootable USB drive and can boot to the Puppy desktop with xorg. However, I want to install Puppy onto the hard drive, but I seem to run out of memory about the time Puppy tries to create a GRUB file and doesn't create it.

I tried using the Puppybarebones-2.01rc2 to reduce the memory footprint and can boot up (and with the XFree86 screen corruption problem a la Neomagic), but when I attempt to install to the hard drive, the system seems to lock up during the "Please wait...copying files" dialog. Am I not waiting long enough? It seemed to take only a few moments for the same process using the 2.10 version.

FYI, I've intially partitioned the drive into a 9GB hda1 and a 256MB swap file using Puppy 2.10's partition editor.

What's the best way to get Puppy onto this old laptop?

Thanks,
Bryan
Boot into Puppy on the USB, use Puppy to partition the hd with a 256meg swap, and 1 gig /, and the rest as another "data" part to be mounted later..

Reboot back into Puppy, it "should" find your swap on HD, try to install now, it should work.

Bob 8)

gary101

#4 Post by gary101 »

Hi Bryguy

I found that answer as to why I was having a similar problem to yours.

It turned out I had some bad sectors on the hard drive. It may be worth you checking out your drive before going further, at the least you will have ruled something out.

All the best

Gary