64-bit 'portable' Opera browser.....

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
rcrsn51

#41 Post by rcrsn51 »

Watchdog's solution above also works for me in ScPup64, but I don't know what he means by "some success".
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 14 Jan 2020, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

#42 Post by watchdog »

rcrsn51 wrote:Watchdog's solution above works for me, but I don't know what he means by "some success".
I'm not mother tongue in english. I wanted to say that Opera-portable starts and is usuable after installing the packages of my post above despite a verbose start in terminal.

dancytron

#43 Post by dancytron »

Just installed and tested on my Debian Stretch 64.

Works fine in all respects and seems noticeably faster than Firefox portable latest and Chrome latest.

rockedge

#44 Post by rockedge »

@dancytron
the opera-portable is also on my Bionic64's noticeably faster than firefox, palemoon plus Basilik are also not quite as fast but very close in speed.

rcrsn51

#45 Post by rcrsn51 »

To convert this from a portable app to a conventional install with a desktop shortcut, read here.

Puppy users should be able to click-install the .deb package.

davids45

Fixed in 64ScPup with gsettings-desktop-schemas-......

#46 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

Thanks watchdog for your easy fix to this problem :D .

(And rcrsn51 for the confirmation.)

I installed from the Puppy Package Manager repository your solution - gsettings-desktop-schemas-3.18.1-x86_64-1.txz

....... and Opera Portable is now working in my 64ScPup-20.01.

I did not need to add the gtk+3 and at-spi2-atk packages mentioned by watchdog. I had already added my all-applications sfs, so could have unknowingly added these if they are actually needed in a totally fresh 64ScPup.

Perhaps Mike Walsh could add a note to the first post in this thread about this need for 64ScPup to run Opera?

David S.

Mike Walsh

#47 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ David:-
davids45 wrote:Perhaps Mike Walsh could add a note to the first post in this thread about this need for 64ScPup to run Opera?
I certainly can if you want, David. Though you may as well be aware that I'm going to be 'out of the game' for a while....

(The old Compaq tower turned up its toes & died this morning. It's shuffled off this mortal coil; like the parrot in the Monty Python sketch, it's an ex-PC...!)

So, consequently, the old Dell lappie will be my staple daily driver for a while, till I get some funds together, and probably see if I can find a refurbished ex-business model kicking around at a reasonable price. Until then, the only dev work I shall be doing will be on 32-bit stuff, I'm afraid. Sorry about that, kiddiwinks.

16 years is a good innings for any PC, no matter its parentage. I'm not grumbling.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 17 Jan 2020, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

thinkpadfreak

#48 Post by thinkpadfreak »

Hello.

I wonder if this is the right place to discuss the matter, but here is an item of news.

Issue 1036742: [Linux only] Rendering stalls for 2-10 seconds every 5-15 seconds
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... id=1036742

It seems that what is happening in Chrome 79 has something to do with the bug of Chromium.

Besides Chrome, the current version of Vivaldi seems to be affected, because it is based on Chromium 79.

Mike Walsh

#49 Post by Mike Walsh »

thinkpadfreak wrote:Hello.

I wonder if this is the right place to discuss the matter, but here is an item of news.

Issue 1036742: [Linux only] Rendering stalls for 2-10 seconds every 5-15 seconds
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... id=1036742

It seems that what is happening in Chrome 79 has something to do with the bug of Chromium.

Besides Chrome, the current version of Vivaldi seems to be affected, because it is based on Chromium 79.
Oh, it would, definitely. Chromium is the 'base' browser from which all the others derive; Chrome - Iron - Slimjet - Opera - Vivaldi - et al.

Don't forget; the Chromium Project is pretty much Google's browser R & D department. Nobody ever says as much, but Big Brother funds the whole shebang; that's where all the 'cutting-edge' stuff is tried out.....

rockedge

#50 Post by rockedge »

Hello Mike!

Another example of Opera-portable running well on tahr64-light-6.0.5-uefi-MK1

this is a very light version of Tahr64 with the 3.14 kernel

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 16#1047516
Attachments
Screenshot-600px.png
(84.23 KiB) Downloaded 599 times

dancytron

#51 Post by dancytron »

Opera continues to run fast for me. I might switch permanently.

jrb

#52 Post by jrb »

wrong thread.

Even though I posted in the wrong thread, I'm very happy with this Portable Opera.

Cheers, J

davids45

Just pining for the fjords?

#53 Post by davids45 »

G'day Mike W.,

Sorry to hear your Norwegian Blue Compaq is no longer nailed to its perch.

As the user of four old HP desktop 'teenagers', I worry about what to do if any ....

Good luck with finding a replacement.

David S.

keniv

#54 Post by keniv »

watchdog wrote:Some success in ScPup64 by installing gsettings-desktop-schemas-3.18.1-x86_64-1.txz. Already installed gtk+3 from 14.2 and at-spi2-atk.
After following the above instructions I have opera running on ScPup64, however, it does not retain all of it's settings. For example on setting On Startup from "Retain tabs from previous session" to "Open a specific page or set of pages" (which I set to DuckDuckGo lite). On shutting down then reopening opera On Startup has reset itself to "Open a specific page or set of pages" . When this happens two tabs open on startup the first being DuckDuckGo lite and the second is the previous session tab. Likewise on Search engine I change from "Google Search" to "DuckDuckGo". Again after shutdown and restart of opera this has reset to Google Search. Can I ask if anybody else has noticed this or similar. Can anybody suggest a solution to this problem?

Regards,

Ken.

mikeslr

Opera is now under Chinese Control

#55 Post by mikeslr »

You may have read my previous post recommending Opera because of its built-in VPN. When data is transmitted using a VPN it is encrypted at the point of origin and decrypted at the point of receipt which provides considerable security to the data during transmission.

At the time I made that recommendation, I understood that the company which publishes Opera was Swedish and located in Sweden. I have since learned that a Chinese company has a substantial interest in it. If you can figure out where the Chinese Government ends and the Chinese Oligarchs running Chinese companies begin, you're better than I, and probably better than NASA. Consequently, the possibility exists that once your data reaches Opera's servers for re-transmission to your intended recipient, snooping by a Chinese agent may be possible.

Opera remains a very nice Web-browser for general purposes. But I wouldn't trust it with sensitive data. My go-to web-browser for such is firefox-quantum, with Vivaldi --published and with servers in Iceland-- its Chromium-Clone alternative.

Mike Walsh

#56 Post by Mike Walsh »

Opera-portable 67.0.3575.79

Now then, kiddiwinks. New release of Opera-portable, along with functioning Widevine!

I've figured out a way to get Widevine/DRM working with the newest Opera-portable. It's slightly 'untidy', but the whole thing does remain 'portable'. (Sort of.)

Let me explain.... :lol:

----------------------------------------

As you probably recall, the first Opera-portable I released, back around Xmas, functioned beautifully.....the more so, after seaside supplied his 'tee' modifications to the launch script for re-locating the DRM/ffmpeg stuff paths 'on-the-fly'. The problems all started with the next release, and the guys over at the Opera forums were running around like headless chickens, trying to figure out how to make it work again.....with only varying degrees of success.

The definitive 'fix' is now to be found at the Opera sub-Reddit over at Reddit.com.

Normally, the location for Widevine & ffmpeg is determined by their respective .json files in /opera/resources. Now, however, 'twould seem that the Opera 'binary' has been 'hard-coded' to look for these two items in specific, fixed locations.....which has made this a bit simpler, it's true. It even ignores its own instructions as supplied by the default .json files! So.....

When you unzip the portable and click to open, you will now see an additional item; a small, 6 MB SFS file called 'Opera_extras.sfs'. IF you want to use DRM - for NetFlix, Amazon Prime, Spotify, etc - copy this across to /mnt/home and load it. Before doing anything else, restart "X". I'm not entirely certain why this is necessary, but if you don't, then Opera won't find libffmepg.so and libwidevinecdm.so, and things won't behave themselves. You'll need this loaded anyway for YouTube, since that also needs the codecs in libffmpeg.

Then, start Opera as usual by the 'LAUNCH' script.

The SFS loads the WidevineCdm directory to /opt/google/chrome, and libffmpeg.so to /usr/lib/opera/lib_extra. Opera will then 'find' libffmpeg.so at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/lib_extra. (I tried actually 'installing libffmpeg to this location, but as Mikeslr has pointed out so many times in the past, Puppies have 'issues' with this location (which is Puppy's answer to the standard 'multilib' stuff in mainstream distros).....so putting it into /usr/lib allows this to work).

You will find these two items also inside the opera directory itself. After much experimentation, I discovered that if they are not present here, then Opera won't 'see' them in the fixed, 'default' locations. It's crazy, but there you go.

Doing it this way does mean that you can still move the browser from one machine to another, all-in; there's just an extra step now.

Download latest Opera-portable tarball here:- https://drive.google.com/file/d/18LBkFk ... sp=sharing

Md5:- - 079c95cba00874bdf74bdfb5c160e560

Sha256:- - 0efe422f75945fca47a70e4d670a743592f009fd2192e79aca62d65e74112290

Any probs, drop me a line here on the thread. Enjoy!

mmmrr

warning from google drive; is it relevant?

#57 Post by mmmrr »

says:

''Google Drive can't scan this file for viruses.

Opera-portable.tar.gz (107M) is too large for Google to scan for viruses.
Would you still like to download this file?''

is this relevant?

thanks for all yr work.

cheers, mm

Mike Walsh

#58 Post by Mike Walsh »

New release:- Opera-portable 68.0.3618.63

Evening, guys'n'gals.

Here's the new version of Opera-portable for your delectation. Opera 68 was released just a few days ago.

The only real noticeable difference, so far, is GUI stuff; the sidebar has been overhauled. Aside from that, and some behind-the-scenes stuff - mostly 'tweaking', it seems - it remains the most usable browser out there, by a country mile..! :D

As before:- Download, unzip. Put 'Opera-portable' wherever you want. Click to open.....click 'LAUNCH' to start 'er up. Also, as before, you'll find the 'Opera-extras.sfs' beside the launcher & Pepper update scripts. If you want to access DRM'd stuff, move this across to /mnt/home & 'load' it. It puts Widevine where Opera expects to see it.

If you followed my previous advice about locating your profile on the same level as the launcher script, you'll only need to delete & copy across the 'opera' directory itself. Then, sym-link your profile inside it, using 'Relative link'.

Download from here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gTRai4 ... sp=sharing

MD5 sum - 24a14941ec505bad0f21451ade0b5060

Have fun. Any probs, drop me a line as always.

---------------------------------------------

(@ mmmrr:- Sorry; I've only just seen this, almost a month on. Yes, that's right; the Drive only scans files of a certain size or smaller.....it's quite normal to see that message come up on larger files.

Rest assured, I don't upload shit. Apart from it being pointless anyway, I'd rapidly get a bad reputation; this is a very small community, and you can't keep anything like that quiet for long..! And why would I? I'd like to see more folks using Puppy; where's the sense in putting them off?? :))

Mike Walsh

#59 Post by Mike Walsh »

New release:- Opera-portable 68.0.3618.125

Evening, all.

Here's the new version of Opera-portable for your enjoyment.

As always:- Download, unzip. Put 'Opera-portable' wherever you want. Click to open.....click 'LAUNCH' to start 'er up. Also, as before, you'll find the 'Opera-extras.sfs' beside the launcher & Pepper update scripts. If you want to access DRM'd stuff, move this across to /mnt/home & 'load' it. It puts Widevine where Opera expects to see it.

If you followed my previous advice about locating your profile on the same level as the launcher script, you'll only need to delete & copy across the 'opera' directory itself. Then, sym-link your profile inside it, using 'Relative link'.

Download from here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bKF0NY ... sp=sharing

MD5 sum - 3d524183e84bc925118b5b24dde78a9c

Have fun. Drop me a line if you've got any issues.

davids45

ScPup64

#60 Post by davids45 »

G'day now-un-Uncle Mike,

Tried this latest Opera in that ScPup64 but no go.

Terminal message per screenshot.

I have not yet tried copying this libdconfsettings.so from a Pup in which this Opera works to the lib directory of this Opera Portable on my data partition.
If this is all it may need?

David S.
Attachments
ScPup64-libdconfigsettings-problem.jpg
(111.41 KiB) Downloaded 53 times