64-bit 'portable' Opera browser.....

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Terry H

#16 Post by Terry H »

I have played around with trying to get this to run in a container in EasyOS, so far I can't get it to run. Running it from a terminal doesn't give any indication of what's wrong, no messages or errors in logs.

I won't interfere with this thread any further regarding running in a container. I'll mention it in the EasyOS thread, to see if there are any suggestions. Regardless of whether it can be run in a container, it's definitely a keeper and I will use it. So, thanks Mike, nice job.

s243a

#17 Post by s243a »

Terry H wrote:I have played around with trying to get this to run in a container in EasyOS, so far I can't get it to run. Running it from a terminal doesn't give any indication of what's wrong, no messages or errors in logs.

I won't interfere with this thread any further regarding running in a container. I'll mention it in the EasyOS thread, to see if there are any suggestions. Regardless of whether it can be run in a container, it's definitely a keeper and I will use it. So, thanks Mike, nice job.
I know that some (all?) chrome-based browsers require access to shared memory. I believe in chrome-based browsers this is a folder named something like "shm" (maybe /dev/shm). Perhaps the "Easy-Containers" don't have access to shared memory for security reasons. Maybe one, could created a fake shared memory folder in an easy-os container.

Chrome browsers will run in a virtual machine so perhaps there is a workaround.

Edit: docker can do it:
To run Docker with a custom shared memory size, use the --shm-size option. For example:

$ docker run -it --shm-size=256m <CONTAINER_NAME> /bin/sh
https://sondnm.github.io/blog/2018/09/0 ... -/dev/shm/

so maybe there is a way to do it with Easy-Containers.

https://medium.com/dot-debug/running-ch ... 5e7f4da4a8

Although the the above two links seem to be for a headless chrome? I wonder how that works?

A redit thread suggests using firejail instead of a docker container. However, said thread provides the following link to a chrome docker file:
https://github.com/jessfraz/dockerfiles ... Dockerfile

perhaps said file will help with figuring out how to run chrome in an Easy-Container. I think the key info in said file is the startup option:

Code: Select all

# docker run -it \
#	--net host \ # may as well YOLO
#	--cpuset-cpus 0 \ # control the cpu
#	--memory 512mb \ # max memory it can use
#	-v /tmp/.X11-unix:/tmp/.X11-unix \ # mount the X11 socket
#	-e DISPLAY=unix$DISPLAY \
#	-v $HOME/Downloads:/home/chrome/Downloads \
#	-v $HOME/.config/google-chrome/:/data \ # if you want to save state
#	--security-opt seccomp=$HOME/chrome.json \
#	--device /dev/snd \ # so we have sound
#   --device /dev/dri \
#	-v /dev/shm:/dev/shm \
#	--name chrome \
#	jess/chrome
Note the "-v /dev/shm:/dev/shm". EasyOS probably needs some way of specifying this if it doesn't already have such a feature.
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

Mike Walsh

#18 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

Opera-portable_v3

Now then; I thought I'd got this portable-Opera completely sorted, but as it turns out, I hadn't. Mainly my own fault, due to residual 'left-overs' from the unloaded Opera SFS package, and my not trying it out in a 'pristine' Puppy, minus save-file.....and Opera consequently reading resource 'paths' for libffmpeg.so, libwidevinecdm.so and libpepflashplayer.so from those residual left-overs. :roll:

Thanks to a post from seaside in the 'portable-Chrome' thread, Opera is now truly portable. Seaside did some research, and came up with a modified launch-script, which employs the 'tee' command. I don't fully understand its operation, but the upshot is that wherever you decide to place Opera (and you really can put it literally anywhere now), when the script is run to start the browser, the 'resource' paths in /opera/resources for the 3 above-mentioned items are re-written to point to their absolute location.

I've tested this out thoroughly in both Bionicpup64 and Xenialpup64 by moving the portable from one location to another a few times. After starting the browser each time, upon checking the pre-load 'paths' in

/opera/resources/ffmpeg_preload_config.json,
/opera/resources/pepperflash_config.json
, and
/opera/resources/widevine_config.json

.....you can indeed see that the preload 'path' for each item has been re-written to take its 'current' location into account. Which is a very neat way round the problem, altogether.

For anybody who's interested in the script itself, you can see it here:-

#!/bin/sh
#
# Launcher for 'portable' Opera browser
#
export HERE="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"

sudo tee "$HERE"/opera/resources/pepper_flash_config.json >/dev/null <<EOF
{
  "PepperFlashPaths" : [
    "${HERE}/opera/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so"   
  ]
}
EOF

sudo tee "$HERE"/opera/resources/ffmpeg_preload_config.json >/dev/null <<EOF
[
  "${HERE}/opera/libffmpeg.so"
]
EOF

sudo tee "$HERE"/opera/resources/widevine_config.json >/dev/null <<EOF
[
   {
      "preload" : "${HERE}/opera/libwidevinecdm.so"
   }
]
EOF

"$HERE/opera/opera-browser" "$@"
For Puppy, I've simply removed the unnecessary 'sudo' references. (Seaside was using this in DebianDog 'Stretch', hence the need for 'sudo'.) And it works.....very, very well.
-------------------------------------

I've re-packed & re-uploaded the browser tarball with the new launch script. You can find it at the above link in post #1.

New checksums:-

MD5 - 2487cb995d44115187619edd273c5b3f
Sha256 - 7af539ec58cb2c3b2ea81d6f0d0bc3dad85c3a1edeb3e4bcb8272fb0234b9d4b

For those of you who've already downloaded and are using the browser, the only thing that's changed is the launcher, so.....I've attached the modified script from seaside to this post. Just remove the 'fake' .gz, and replace the existing 'LAUNCH' script with this one.

Credits (and thanks!) go to seaside for this one.

Have fun..! Feedback is welcome, as always.

Mike. :wink:
Attachments
LAUNCH.gz
Modified 'launcher' for Opera-portable. Absolutely EVERYTHING
now works as it should..! Credits to seaside.
(549 Bytes) Downloaded 222 times

mikeslr

#19 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks Mike & seaside,

Should similar changes be made to the LAUNCH scripts in Brave-portable and Iron-portable?

Terry H

#20 Post by Terry H »

Mike, not a question regarding portability but about Opera itself. One little niggling thing is I want the browser to start up maximized if possible, rather than a small window. I'm not able to find anywhere to do this in easy setup or browser settings. Any idea how to achieve this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

williams2

#21 Post by williams2 »

You could try this command line option:

--start-maximized

Another option:

--start-fullscreen

Many of these Chromium options are supposed to work with Opera.

https://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-c ... -switches/

Terry H

#22 Post by Terry H »

Thanks williams2, that did the trick. Added to the start script, now starts maximized as desired. Thanks also for the link to the extensive list of switches.

Mike Walsh

#23 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Terry:-

Yes, that's a HUGE list of available '--switches' for these Chromium 'clones' from Peter Beverloo, ain't it? I'd forgotten about it, myself. :oops: Most folks simply aren't aware of just how many 'presettable' options these browsers do come with. I'm glad you raised the point and got an answer for it, 'cos the small window at start up was driving me nuts, too..... :D

@ Mike:-
mikeslr wrote:Should similar changes be made to the LAUNCH scripts in Brave-portable and Iron-portable?
Short answer? No, I'm afraid not. Those particular .json config files appear to be unique to Opera, unfortunately.

I'm still going to investigate Iron, however; that's the one that's giving me 'issues'. As for Brave, as soon as I visited NetFlix & signed-in, it auto-downloaded and installed WideVine for me.....didn't have to click on anything. I'm wondering, however, if Brave contains the clue to getting it working in Iron? Both are using the new location for WideVine.....the new WideVineCdm sub-directory; Iron, however, has a full list of 'platforms' within the manifest.json file inside WideVineCdm, whereas Brave's manifest.json file is empty.

(It's not only locations, though; there appears to be a number of subtle coding differences in the main browser 'shared library', between different Chromium clones. Enough of 'em, anyway, to make each individual clone require its own custom solution. No 'one-size-fits-all' solution here, I'm sorry to say; despite that most of 'em are using identical components, they all seem to have implemented those components in different ways. Buggers!!)

I'll look further into it tomorrow, when I get time.

Mike. :wink
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 12 Jan 2020, 13:38, edited 2 times in total.

thinkpadfreak

#24 Post by thinkpadfreak »

Hello.
I got to know you decided to close Chrome packages thread. I am sorry that it is difficult to use the current version of Chrome.

I have tried Opera, and it works fine. We Japanese use some input method (system to convert the input through the keyboard into Japanese characters or kanji).
We run Chrome or Chromium as spot, adding env command as follows:
env GTK_IM_MODULE="xim" google-chrome-stable

I noticed that, with your portable version of Opera, we don't need to add env command to deal with Japanese.

I hope Opera will continue to work fine when it has become Chromium 79 based.

Mike Walsh

#25 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ thinkpadfreak:-
thinkpadfreak wrote:I noticed that, with your portable version of Opera, we don't need to add env command to deal with Japanese.

I hope Opera will continue to work fine when it has become Chromium 79 based.
Well, there you are. Go, Opera....yay!!

No need to run as spot, and you don't need to make further modifications. Is it any wonder I prefer this to Chrome? It's just so much easier to use... :D

rockedge

#26 Post by rockedge »

been using Opera again now for a day...it blazes and runs very nicely on Bionic64

While I lived in Germany Opera was my go to browser before I dabbled with firefox many moons ago

seaside

#27 Post by seaside »

Mike, nicely done.

You are singlehandly creating the biggest Opera fan club since "Madam Butterfly" or "Tosca". :)

I took your point about "sudo" in the LAUNCH script, and rewrote it to test for the command in case a distro doesn't use it. I tested it in the latest FATDOG (which does not have sudo and it worked.) I think this will work for all cases now. Here it is:

#!/bin/sh
#
# Launcher for 'portable' Opera browser
# test for existence of sudo command 

prefix=" "
which sudo 2>/dev/null && export prefix=sudo

export HERE="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"

${prefix} tee "$HERE"/opera/resources/pepper_flash_config.json >/dev/null <<EOF
{
  "PepperFlashPaths" : [
    "${HERE}/opera/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so"	
  ]
}
EOF

${prefix} tee "$HERE"/opera/resources/ffmpeg_preload_config.json >/dev/null <<EOF
[
  "${HERE}/opera/libffmpeg.so"
]
EOF

${prefix} tee "$HERE"/opera/resources/widevine_config.json >/dev/null <<EOF
[
   {
      "preload" : "${HERE}/opera/libwidevinecdm.so"
   }
]
EOF

"$HERE/opera/opera-browser" "$@"
Cheers,
s
(Your browser work is really needed and appreciated - thanks) :D

Mike Walsh

#28 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ rockedge:-
rockedge wrote:been using Opera again now for a day...it blazes and runs very nicely on Bionic64

While I lived in Germany Opera was my go to browser before I dabbled with firefox many moons ago
Mm! It is damn fast, isn't it? I'm in Bionic64 ATM, and it runs better than Chrome has done for quite a while. And so much of the stuff I have to 'add-in' to Chrome via extensions is built-in to Opera by default; overall, I have to confess I'm very impressed with it.....more so, now we've got WideVine, etc, sorted once & for all.

I've definitely had it with Chrome. This thing is just so easy to use.

What's happening with the new forum, BTW?

Mike Walsh

#29 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ seaside:-
seaside wrote:Mike, nicely done.

You are singlehandly creating the biggest Opera fan club since "Madam Butterfly" or "Tosca". :)
Oh no you don't! :lol: I refuse to take credit for the work of others. The principle came from Fred, many months ago (though as he says, it's actually been floating around the web for years in one form or another, so....) Various tweaks have come from other folks over the last year or two.....and for this particular browser, your valuable contribution has "put the icing on the cake", so to speak.

Nah, it's not really single-handed at all. All I will take credit for is putting all these odds'n'ends together into a working package that the whole community will benefit from.

I had the idea to try and assemble a working 'portable' from the available Linux Chromium-based 'clones' years ago, during my final months of fighting XP (before I consigned it to the dustbin of history). I always liked the idea of an app you could run from a flash drive, as with the Windows PortableApps, and 'share' between systems. It's even more relevant when you're running multiple Puppies, since browsers are not small items.....and it just seems pointless duplicating the same install, over and over again. For a time I duplicated the browser itself, but shared profiles, via symlinks, from an external, remotely-mounted data partition, but this way is better still! Of course, my scripting skills in those days were even more abysmal than they are now; I'm gradually getting the hang of things, I guess.....but it doesn't come naturally to me, y'know?

I was always terrible with learning languages, even as a nipper.....and it comes harder & harder, the older you get!

Much of what I package these days draws on either previous experience, or the same as many others do.....borrowing snippets of code from other folks existing scripts. Which I think is endemic in the open-source world, if the truth be known.

-----------------------------------------

At the end of the day, if what I produce works & does what I want, I'm more than happy to share. And if it meets with other's approval, well.....I'm good with that.

Anything to make the whole 'Puppy' user-experience more attractive to everybody has to be to everybody's advantage. I don't care if we do end up with 50 ways of doing the same thing; not everybody wants to approach a given subject from the same angle, so choice is also a 'good thing'.

davids45

64ScPup problem

#30 Post by davids45 »

G'day Mike,

Now I understand your "Alice in Wonderland"-inspired avatar. With browsers, you need to run as fast as you can just to stay where you are.

I had success with your Opera Portable in 64Bionic8.0 but in peebee's latest 64ScPup, no go.

As usual, I run these via a symlink from the actual packages on my data partition - I put the Opera directory link into /opt and this was fine in 64Bionic8, as far as I went setting up the profile in /root/.config/ to eventually link this back to the data partition. I suspect I'll need separate profiles for Bionic and ScPups given the differences in lib file set-up between them.

Anyway, back to 'running on the spot',......
After initial nothingness in 64ScPup, I ran 'LAUNCH' from a terminal and got the below strings of messages:
# cd /opt/Opera-portable
# ./LAUNCH
[27896:27909:0113/090432.892800:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[27896:27909:0113/090432.893678:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.GetDisplayDevice: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[27896:27909:0113/090432.894321:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.EnumerateDevices: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[27927:27927:0113/090433.145439:ERROR:gl_surface_glx.cc(78)] XGetWindowAttributes failed for window 33554436.
[27927:27927:0113/090433.145707:ERROR:gl_surface_glx.cc(839)] Failed to get GLXConfig
[27927:27927:0113/090433.145752:ERROR:gpu_info_collector.cc(60)] gl::GLContext::CreateOffscreenGLSurface failed
[27927:27927:0113/090433.145786:ERROR:gpu_info_collector.cc(199)] Could not create surface for info collection.
[27927:27927:0113/090433.145829:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(66)] gpu::CollectGraphicsInfo failed.
[27927:27927:0113/090433.167213:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(176)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization

(opera:27896): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 09:04:33.186: Settings schema 'org.gnome.desktop.background' is not installed
/mnt/sdb3/Puppy_Archive/OperaPortable64/Opera-portable/opera/opera-browser: line 9: 27896 Trace/breakpoint trap "$HERE/opera" --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE --ppapi-flash-path=$HERE/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so --disable-infobars --no-sandbox "$@"
# [27941:27994:0113/090434.083302:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[27941:27994:0113/090434.084227:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.GetDisplayDevice: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[27941:27994:0113/090434.085057:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.EnumerateDevices: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[28012:28012:0113/090434.385120:ERROR:gl_surface_glx.cc(78)] XGetWindowAttributes failed for window 33554436.
[28012:28012:0113/090434.385335:ERROR:gl_surface_glx.cc(839)] Failed to get GLXConfig
[28012:28012:0113/090434.385375:ERROR:gpu_info_collector.cc(60)] gl::GLContext::CreateOffscreenGLSurface failed
[28012:28012:0113/090434.385406:ERROR:gpu_info_collector.cc(199)] Could not create surface for info collection.
[28012:28012:0113/090434.385450:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(66)] gpu::CollectGraphicsInfo failed.

(opera:27941): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 09:04:34.404: Settings schema 'org.gnome.desktop.background' is not installed
[28012:28012:0113/090434.418991:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(176)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[27941:28051:0113/090434.737933:ERROR:bus.cc(393)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
[28042:28083:0113/090435.320136:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[28042:28083:0113/090435.320925:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.GetDisplayDevice: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[28042:28083:0113/090435.321561:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.EnumerateDevices: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[28101:28101:0113/090435.593882:ERROR:gl_surface_glx.cc(78)] XGetWindowAttributes failed for window 33554436.
[28101:28101:0113/090435.594101:ERROR:gl_surface_glx.cc(839)] Failed to get GLXConfig
[28101:28101:0113/090435.594350:ERROR:gpu_info_collector.cc(60)] gl::GLContext::CreateOffscreenGLSurface failed
[28101:28101:0113/090435.594389:ERROR:gpu_info_collector.cc(199)] Could not create surface for info collection.
[28101:28101:0113/090435.594567:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(66)] gpu::CollectGraphicsInfo failed.
[28101:28101:0113/090435.612931:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(176)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization

(opera:28042): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 09:04:35.649: Settings schema 'org.gnome.desktop.background' is not installed
[28042:28129:0113/090436.132279:ERROR:bus.cc(393)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
[28127:28168:0113/090436.540974:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[28127:28168:0113/090436.541951:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.GetDisplayDevice: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[28127:28168:0113/090436.542669:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.EnumerateDevices: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[28186:28186:0113/090436.861888:ERROR:gl_surface_glx.cc(78)] XGetWindowAttributes failed for window 33554436.
[28186:28186:0113/090436.862113:ERROR:gl_surface_glx.cc(839)] Failed to get GLXConfig
[28186:28186:0113/090436.862165:ERROR:gpu_info_collector.cc(60)] gl::GLContext::CreateOffscreenGLSurface failed
[28186:28186:0113/090436.862206:ERROR:gpu_info_collector.cc(199)] Could not create surface for info collection.
[28186:28186:0113/090436.862255:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(66)] gpu::CollectGraphicsInfo failed.
[28186:28186:0113/090436.873364:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(176)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization

(opera:28127): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 09:04:36.915: Settings schema 'org.gnome.desktop.background' is not installed
Discarded=1
[27930:27947:0113/090442.786103:ERROR:broker_posix.cc(40)] Recvmsg error: Connection reset by peer (104)
Discarded=1
[28015:28022:0113/090443.169937:ERROR:broker_posix.cc(40)] Recvmsg error: Connection reset by peer (104)
Discarded=1
[28105:28116:0113/090444.198005:ERROR:broker_posix.cc(40)] Recvmsg error: Connection reset by peer (104)
Discarded=1
[28190:28201:0113/090445.470639:ERROR:broker_posix.cc(40)] Recvmsg error: Connection reset by peer (104)
Maybe you and Lewis Carroll can understand this? :oops:

I had noticed a poster in the SCPup thread asking if anyone had got Opera running. But thought I should post something here when I found I couldn't get it running..

I'm using a Vivaldi in 64ScPup to post this and there seems a lot of similarity with Vivaldi and Opera. Becoming the 'devil I know'.

Thanks for your efforts.

David S.

s243a

Re: 64ScPup problem

#31 Post by s243a »

delete
Last edited by s243a on Mon 13 Jan 2020, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

s243a

#32 Post by s243a »

davids45 wrote:G'day Mike,

Now I understand your "Alice in Wonderland"-inspired avatar. With browsers, you need to run as fast as you can just to stay where you are.

I had success with your Opera Portable in 64Bionic8.0 but in peebee's latest 64ScPup, no go.

As usual, I run these via a symlink from the actual packages on my data partition - I put the Opera directory link into /opt and this was fine in 64Bionic8, as far as I went setting up the profile in /root/.config/ to eventually link this back to the data partition. I suspect I'll need separate profiles for Bionic and ScPups given the differences in lib file set-up between them.

Anyway, back to 'running on the spot',......
After initial nothingness in 64ScPup, I ran 'LAUNCH' from a terminal and got the below strings of messages:
# cd /opt/Opera-portable
# ./LAUNCH
[27896:27909:0113/090432.892800:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[27896:27909:0113/090432.893678:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.GetDisplayDevice: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[27896:27909:0113/090432.894321:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.EnumerateDevices: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[27927:27927:0113/090433.145439:ERROR:gl_surface_glx.cc(78)] XGetWindowAttributes failed for window 33554436.
[27927:27927:0113/090433.145707:ERROR:gl_surface_glx.cc(839)] Failed to get GLXConfig
[27927:27927:0113/090433.145752:ERROR:gpu_info_collector.cc(60)] gl::GLContext::CreateOffscreenGLSurface failed
[27927:27927:0113/090433.145786:ERROR:gpu_info_collector.cc(199)] Could not create surface for info collection.
[27927:27927:0113/090433.145829:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(66)] gpu::CollectGraphicsInfo failed.
[27927:27927:0113/090433.167213:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(176)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization

(opera:27896): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 09:04:33.186: Settings schema 'org.gnome.desktop.background' is not installed
/mnt/sdb3/Puppy_Archive/OperaPortable64/Opera-portable/opera/opera-browser: line 9: 27896 Trace/breakpoint trap "$HERE/opera" --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE --ppapi-flash-path=$HERE/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so --disable-infobars --no-sandbox "$@"
# [27941:27994:0113/090434.083302:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[27941:27994:0113/090434.084227:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.GetDisplayDevice: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[27941:27994:0113/090434.085057:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.EnumerateDevices: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[28012:28012:0113/090434.385120:ERROR:gl_surface_glx.cc(78)] XGetWindowAttributes failed for window 33554436.
[28012:28012:0113/090434.385335:ERROR:gl_surface_glx.cc(839)] Failed to get GLXConfig
[28012:28012:0113/090434.385375:ERROR:gpu_info_collector.cc(60)] gl::GLContext::CreateOffscreenGLSurface failed
[28012:28012:0113/090434.385406:ERROR:gpu_info_collector.cc(199)] Could not create surface for info collection.
[28012:28012:0113/090434.385450:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(66)] gpu::CollectGraphicsInfo failed.

(opera:27941): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 09:04:34.404: Settings schema 'org.gnome.desktop.background' is not installed
[28012:28012:0113/090434.418991:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(176)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[27941:28051:0113/090434.737933:ERROR:bus.cc(393)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
[28042:28083:0113/090435.320136:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[28042:28083:0113/090435.320925:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.GetDisplayDevice: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[28042:28083:0113/090435.321561:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.EnumerateDevices: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[28101:28101:0113/090435.593882:ERROR:gl_surface_glx.cc(78)] XGetWindowAttributes failed for window 33554436.
[28101:28101:0113/090435.594101:ERROR:gl_surface_glx.cc(839)] Failed to get GLXConfig
[28101:28101:0113/090435.594350:ERROR:gpu_info_collector.cc(60)] gl::GLContext::CreateOffscreenGLSurface failed
[28101:28101:0113/090435.594389:ERROR:gpu_info_collector.cc(199)] Could not create surface for info collection.
[28101:28101:0113/090435.594567:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(66)] gpu::CollectGraphicsInfo failed.
[28101:28101:0113/090435.612931:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(176)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization

(opera:28042): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 09:04:35.649: Settings schema 'org.gnome.desktop.background' is not installed
[28042:28129:0113/090436.132279:ERROR:bus.cc(393)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
[28127:28168:0113/090436.540974:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[28127:28168:0113/090436.541951:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.GetDisplayDevice: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[28127:28168:0113/090436.542669:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(632)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.EnumerateDevices: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[28186:28186:0113/090436.861888:ERROR:gl_surface_glx.cc(78)] XGetWindowAttributes failed for window 33554436.
[28186:28186:0113/090436.862113:ERROR:gl_surface_glx.cc(839)] Failed to get GLXConfig
[28186:28186:0113/090436.862165:ERROR:gpu_info_collector.cc(60)] gl::GLContext::CreateOffscreenGLSurface failed
[28186:28186:0113/090436.862206:ERROR:gpu_info_collector.cc(199)] Could not create surface for info collection.
[28186:28186:0113/090436.862255:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(66)] gpu::CollectGraphicsInfo failed.
[28186:28186:0113/090436.873364:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(176)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization

(opera:28127): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 09:04:36.915: Settings schema 'org.gnome.desktop.background' is not installed
Discarded=1
[27930:27947:0113/090442.786103:ERROR:broker_posix.cc(40)] Recvmsg error: Connection reset by peer (104)
Discarded=1
[28015:28022:0113/090443.169937:ERROR:broker_posix.cc(40)] Recvmsg error: Connection reset by peer (104)
Discarded=1
[28105:28116:0113/090444.198005:ERROR:broker_posix.cc(40)] Recvmsg error: Connection reset by peer (104)
Discarded=1
[28190:28201:0113/090445.470639:ERROR:broker_posix.cc(40)] Recvmsg error: Connection reset by peer (104)
Maybe you and Lewis Carroll can understand this? :oops:

I had noticed a poster in the SCPup thread asking if anyone had got Opera running. But thought I should post something here when I found I couldn't get it running..

I'm using a Vivaldi in 64ScPup to post this and there seems a lot of similarity with Vivaldi and Opera. Becoming the 'devil I know'.

Thanks for your efforts.

David S.
Have you tried installing some of the missing dependencies such as: UPower, OpenGL.

**Note, I provided debian links. I'll try to find some slackware links for you. Also, mike can look into seeing if these libraries can be included as part of the portable.

s243a

#33 Post by s243a »

s243a wrote: Have you tried installing some of the missing dependencies such as: UPower, OpenGL.

**Note, I provided debian links. I'll try to find some slackware links for you. Also, mike can look into seeing if these libraries can be included as part of the portable.
Regarding the OpenGL issue, the following link looks relevant:

https://www.slackwiki.com/ATI_Graphics

also you should be able to install UPower via the package manger. I see that it is in the standard slackware repo:
https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware ... /a/upower/

watchdog

#34 Post by watchdog »

Some success in ScPup64 by installing gsettings-desktop-schemas-3.18.1-x86_64-1.txz. Already installed gtk+3 from 14.2 and at-spi2-atk.

Mike Walsh

#35 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

Hm. Well, after putting on my 'considering cap', I'm thinking there may have to be 'workarounds' for some Pups. I'd forgotten that the Slackware-based Puppies employ lib64, whereas in the 'buntu-based Pups lib64 is simply a sym-link to lib itself.

I had the same problem years ago when I first started putting the Chrome builds together; had to build separate packages for the two 'breeds'.

Whether or not we can find a way to combine these differences into a single, 'one-size-fits-all' Opera-portable package that everybody can use, I really don't know. Maybe using the internal 'libs' library that battleshooter helped enormously with a couple of years ago for the Chrome packages would help?

In fact, the more I think about it, I believe this was why I later found that a single Chrome build seemed to work on all Pups, and I was able to quit building separate packages altogether. All those missing items reported by David do exist in the Chrome 'libs' directory, so.....

I'll have a look into it later this afternoon; see what happens, like.

Watch this space, kiddiwinks. I'll report back.

-------------------------------

@ davids45:-

David, is this peebee's most recent 20.01 version? I need to make sure I'm getting the same variant as you're running, for 'testing' purposes...!