(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Sep 2020, 12:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
firefox suddenly freezes and is unresponsive in Bionic64
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
rockedge

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan 2020, 11:39    Post subject:  firefox suddenly freezes and is unresponsive in Bionic64
Subject description: need killall firefox in a terminal to stop it

On 2 separate machines running Bionic64 the latest version of firefox will just suddenly freeze and can only be killed by using a terminal and killall

Digital Rights Management (DRM) Content was checked in the preferences , so I am unchecking it and will observe but that seems a like a far fetched idea

has anyone else seen this and is there a thread some where in the forum?
s243a

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan 2020, 11:43    Post subject: Re: firefox suddenly freezes and is unresponsive in Bionic64
Subject description: need killall firefox in a terminal to stop it

rockedge wrote:
On 2 separate machines running Bionic64 the latest version of firefox will just suddenly freeze and can only be killed by using a terminal and killall

Digital Rights Management (DRM) Content was checked in the preferences , so I am unchecking it and will observe but that seems a like a far fetched idea

has anyone else seen this and is there a thread some where in the forum?

In some recent puppies, either automatic save isn't set or the interval is too long for older machines. This causes them to run out of ram. I'm not sure whether or not this applies to Bionic64, but to find out maybe try clicking the save button.

**Note by **some**, I mean this happened at least once on one of my machines. I'm not sure if it is a wider problem or just a quirk that happened to me.

rockedge

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan 2020, 12:01    Post subject:  

Hello s243a,

both machines have 16 gigs of RAM and I am not seeing any spike in CPU loads or of RAM usage.....I could have 4 tabs open with the Puppy murga forum and a switch to a tab will freeze FF. Just a kill is not enough to stop it...needs a killall from the command line....I saw this also on a Bionic32..so much that I switched to Bionic64 and try to use palemoon for everything....but Slack which I need for communicating with fellow developers will not work anymore with palemoon and no way am I going to use Chrome...

there has been 2 FF version updates since I first saw this on Bionic32 start happening
gcav

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan 2020, 12:32    Post subject: Troubleshooting...  

try this to help troubleshoot.

Once firefox freezes

kill -ABRT <firefox PID>

a window will appear to tell you to report the error to firefox farms
, click on the details and check to see where is it hanging up.

this might help

gc
musher0

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan 2020, 15:46    Post subject:  

Hi rockedge.

Could it be that FF is trying to load too "heavy" an html page? Probably a badly set-up
page, too: too many pictures, bad css code, wrong links, etc. This has been happening
since the beginning of the web, you know, on a number of browsers!

BFN.

B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan 2020, 19:04    Post subject:  

rockedge
I have been experiencing the freeze with upupbb (32 bit) too.
I saw a recommendation on another thread to use xrefresh, but it hasn't worked for me. I use Shift-Alt-Backspace which takes a while to clear to the black screen. xwin kills all open apps but Firefox returns with all tabs intact. Everything in / is OK; any unsaved Composer files are lost.

tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan 2020, 19:24    Post subject:  

It's been happening to me in 32-bit Bionicpup. Firefox worked great for years, then for the last 6 months or perhaps longer it would occasionally freeze when I had a lot of tabs (10?) open and then did something. I can't get it to repeat. After I'd kill Firefox with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, then xwin, then restart Firefox and tell it to restore all the tabs I had open, it worked fine. After I got it going again, I'd usually close the last tab I was using when Firefox froze, guessing that was somehow the culprit. But I can't really say that closing that tab is the reason Firefox worked ok after a restart.

A couple of days ago I switched to 64-bit Bionicpup, plus the latest version of Firefox that I downloaded from mozilla.org. If I remember right, I've had to restart it once since then.

As far as I know there is not another thread about this in this forum.
rockedge

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan 2020, 20:23    Post subject:  

Hello gcav,

thanks for the tip..as soon as it happens again I will try to debug.

I first noticed this on 32 bit upup and it happened sometimes with only 2-4 tabs open and with various types of web pages so I haven't seen a pattern yet.

I can not reproduce it and now it is happening on the 64 bit Firefox 71.0.

will have to start htop to see what is running and why killall in a terminal is necessary to stop FF

I would say also 6 months ago and FF has updated few times since it started happening.

oldprinter

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan 2020, 20:44    Post subject: FF freeze  

I've been having this same problem for some time.

I'm running a frugal BionicPup64 v 8.0 on a Intel powered HP 15 laptop 4 gigs of ram from a flash drive.

My Firefox v71.0 is a portable (on another partition). I very seldom have any tabs open, and have had freeze ups with only the main page showing, After breaking the freeze ( I agree with the 'killALL' suggestion), have opened Pale Moon v 28.8.0, gone to the same page with no problems,

I have also opened Pale Moon while FF is froze, gone to same page without any problems.

I have also had 2 different FFs (both portables) running at the same, one will freeze, the other runs fine on the same page that froze.

I don't think the hardware is at fault, Gkrellm shows all 4 cores in the mid teens, so not anywhere maxed out. RAM usage shows 3.3 gb free.

I have tried to duplicate this with Windows 10, runs with no problems (I hate being online with that OS)

I have not been able to duplicate this problem on my older Toshiba laptop

Tom

On Re-Read, I wonder if all these machines being effected are all Intel chipped? Are all the listed OSs are based on Ubuntu 18? I don't know if there is a difference between the 32 bit kernel and the 64 kernel? Does ubuntu forums mention anything about this?

Last edited by oldprinter on Thu 02 Jan 2020, 21:01; edited 1 time in total
rockedge

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan 2020, 21:00    Post subject:  

Hello oldprinter,

the machines I see this happening on are a DELL Optiplex 990 and 980 both have 4 core Intel(R) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz and both machines have 16 gigs of RAM and have a 1 gig swap partition. The CPU load can be under 1.0 and it happens. palemoon 28.8.0 has not had this problem at all and either has Basilik.

FF is installed in the sense it is downloaded and extracted in /opt and I drag a link to the desktop or make a .desktop file for it.
Bionic84-v8 and upup32 I've seen FF freeze and lately on WeeDog64 (Void Linux) FF has started doing it.

I am hoping to get a freeze to try out the command line
Code:
kill -ABRT <firefox PID>

bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan 2020, 21:16    Post subject:  

Firefox support.
Firefox hangs or is not responding - How to fix
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-hangs-or-not-responding

My fix.
Stop Using FIREFOX Shocked Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes

rockedge

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan 2020, 21:32    Post subject:  

Quote:
Stop Using FIREFOX

can't...I need Slack to work with developers on a project and palemoon needs serious spoofing to make that happen. It's either Chrome (NEVER) or Firefox to use it. I have security cameras that have had firmware upgrades that render the camera's web gui for controlling it only accessible from Internet Explorer or FF but only the Windows version...so strange...needless to say I never upgraded more than 1 camera ( dLink ).

I use an extension to spoof the Puppy Linux running Firefox into faking it's a Windows 10 firefox with a bogus user agent.... but anyway bigpup thanks for the link, I'll check out the info!
gychang

PostPosted: Tue 25 Feb 2020, 19:55    Post subject:  

I noticed this problem also, Usually I try to use Palemoon which seems to almost avoid not getting locked up like FF. May have happened once ?? I also have 16G of RAM.

Only thing I can't seem to do on PM is use hangout to make phone calls (which FF can do without any problems...)

Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: