High Density Websites overheat HP HDX Premium [SOLVED]

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

Sky, I'm curious to know what happens if you use a different browser on that website. Firefox for instance. If you can't find Firefox as a .pet for your Puppy, you can download the latest version of Firefox from Mozilla.org.

In Rox, if you click on the Firefox file you downloaded, Puppy will probably offer to unzip it or some such. After it's unzipped, right-click on the resulting Firefox folder, choose Permissions, then Yes. Then open the folder, find the gear icon that's labeled Firefox, right-click on it, choose Permissions and Yes. After all that, Firefox should start when you click the Firefox gear icon in the Firefox folder. If the Firefox folder is going to stay where it is, you can drag the gear icon onto the desktop.

Sky Aisling

#17 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi Flash,
Yes, I have Apluse Firefox that ozsouth helped me to create.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 17#1057517

The machine over heats no matter what browser I use. MSNBC being the worst culprit in producing high density sites. However, ever since the anchors on MSNBC have been broadcasting from 'home' the temperature reading rarely goes over 71 degrees now. This makes me think for sure it's the amount of data the site is pushing at the viewer. Once the anchors started broadcasting from home as do their guests, the CPU temp gauge has come way down.

HP's are apparently known for overheating. The fan unit in this HP HDX model is literally buried on the motherboard and just about the whole machine has to be disassembled to get to the fan to clean or replace it.

Sky

Sky Aisling

#18 Post by Sky Aisling »

UPDATE:

I stripped the machine down to the mboard to check for dirt in the fan and the condition of the heat sink paste.
The fan was relatively clean considering the age of the machine.
The heat sink compound was completely gone.
I re-pasted the components.
The machine is running cool and quiet. High density sites such as MSNBC are running an easy 62 degrees and staying in that temp zone.

Also, it might be my imagination but the video quality seems better. One of the chips that needed re-pasting was the video chip. Sound seems cleaner too.

Good thing it was a rainy day today. This HP HDX is a challenge to dismantle. I have a few extra screws left over, but, hey!

Sky

bigpup

#19 Post by bigpup »

Does the fan ever change speed?
It is suppose to.

May be bios settings, for the fan speed, or what temp, causes it to come on.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sky Aisling

#20 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi Bigpup,
Bigpup writes:
Does the fan ever change speed?
It is suppose to.
The fan is running albeit quietly.
I haven't heard it change speed.
Temp is staying well within a green area of 42 - 71 degrees. So, maybe it doesn't need to change at those levels?
Give me another week of running this machine and we'll see if the heat sink paste is sticking and doing it's job. I spent all day yesterday with the innards of the HP spread all over my Out house table. 'Screen time' yesterday was more like 'Squint time' as I searched for those tiny-weeny screws that escaped even my best efforts at keeping them corralled. :)

EDIT: Yes, the fan is changing speeds.

Sky

PS - I attempted to read the bios for clues early on, but, HP is stingy with sharing info in their bios department.