EasyPup version 2.3.1, released June 6, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
OscarTalks

Re: Internet connection

#81 Post by OscarTalks »

rameshiyer wrote:I have already given static ip in the above post. It shows connected however no actual connection. Not able to browse. I would like to inform you that in Easyos no internet on container browser. Now no internet on Easypup
If you are able to browse when you allow automatic allocation of LAN IP, but then when you input a static IP you are not able to browse, I am wondering if you are not entering the static IP settings correctly. That is why I am trying to understand what you put in and where in the NetworkManager GUI. Some of the info in the post above does not look right to me.

Is 192.168.1.30 the gateway address or the static IP address of the computer which you have set?

If you are sure the connection is established, try in terminal:-
echo "nameserver 1.1.1.1" > /etc/resolv.conf
and then see if you are able to surf.
Oscar in England

BarryK
Puppy Master

#82 Post by BarryK »

rameshiyer wrote:I have already given static ip in the above post. It shows connected however no actual connection. Not able to browse. I would like to inform you that in Easyos no internet on container browser. Now no internet on Easypup
You could try changing to one of the older network connection methods.

Right-click on the "connect" icon on the desktop, choose "Execute the Internet Connection Wizard" -- then you have the choice of SNS, Frisbee, etc.

Note that changing to one of those might be troublesome, and might require a reboot. Although there is an attempt to disable NetworkManager, it might still have done something that interferes, but after changing to say Frisbee, reboot, and then NM should be properly disabled.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#83 Post by BarryK »

OscarTalks wrote:
If you are able to browse when you allow automatic allocation of LAN IP, but then when you input a static IP you are not able to browse, I am wondering if you are not entering the static IP settings correctly. That is why I am trying to understand what you put in and where in the NetworkManager GUI. Some of the info in the post above does not look right to me.

Is 192.168.1.30 the gateway address or the static IP address of the computer which you have set?

If you are sure the connection is established, try in terminal:-
echo "nameserver 1.1.1.1" > /etc/resolv.conf
and then see if you are able to surf.
OscarTalks,
You posted a fraction of a second before me!

Yes, NetworkManager is very sophisticated, as is the network-manager-applet. It should be able to handle a static IP setup without any trouble.

rameshiyer,
Forget my previous suggestion to use "dhcpcd eth0" -- I am in that mental rut, as dhcp is all that I have ever used.

thinkpadfreak

#84 Post by thinkpadfreak »

BarryK wrote: Temporarily have gone back to using flsynclient, see blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202002/apps-int ... d-fix.html

Numbers 3 and 4 are fixed:

https://bkhome.org/news/202002/reboot-t ... sypup.html
I searched for gtk-query-immodules-3.0 and there was such a file in /usr/lib64/libgtk-3-0, but I did not think it was an executable.

I appreciate your kind reply to my questions.

I have made a kind of language pack (Japanese) and make it public in the Puppy Linux Japanese Forum:

https://sakurapup.browserloadofcoolness ... =26&t=3471

The language pack is still incomplete, but EasyPup can display and input Japanese characters with the package installed.

OscarTalks

#85 Post by OscarTalks »

Posting this from Seamonkey in EasyPup 2.2.11.1 which I have been testing a bit over the last couple of days.

I am not familiar with NetworkManager as it is not in the Puppies that I normally use or test, but I thought I would try to set a static LAN IP

So I am not sure if I am looking at exactly the right thing. The GUI windows that I can launch from the network tray indicator allow me to set a "Manual" LAN IP but it is not called a "static".

My router gateway address is 192.168.1.1 and I decided to try setting my LAN IP as 192.168.1.35 which I chose at random. Subnet mask is the usual 255.255.255.0 and I set DNS to Cloudflare which is 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 with a comma in between.

I disconnected and reconnected the ethernet interface and my network information shows that everything is as I set it and I am able to surf the internet as I am doing now. Seems OK to me here.
Attachments
static-ip-input-settings.jpg
"Manual" selection of my LAN IP address and DNS nameservers
(73.94 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
static-ip-info.jpg
Connection Info looks like what I set.
(72.17 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
Oscar in England

rameshiyer

Internet connection

#86 Post by rameshiyer »

Sir

I have also configured the wired static connection as mentioned by you. However, my connection is not directly connected to router and different from your setup. I am working in academic Institution and computers are connected to LAN environment. Each PC has dedicated IP address. I have assigned specific IP address which I have given through Network applet. I have changed the option from Automatic to Manual.

You may please note that Nmtui network manager having link with Network applet.

I have also directly configured Nmtui network manager. After configuration, if activated connection, Network try applet shows connection established. However, no internet !.

I am a end user only. So I cannot pin point exact reasons. However, I feel that Nmtui having problem or problem with communication with Network applet?.

One or two year back, another network LAN manger is provided by our Developer which is integrated with along with dynamic network setup. I don't remember that setup application name. After some times probably on Easyos it was removed and introduced Nmtui etc. Previous one was stable and reliable static network manager.

As I have already intimated that in EasyOS, the problem is different that of Easypup in which no internet in Container Browser. I will get internet connection on browser without container !!!. (both case static IP). Very strange situation.
Last edited by rameshiyer on Sat 29 Feb 2020, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.

rameshiyer

Internet connection

#87 Post by rameshiyer »

I feel Manual setup is considered for setting up "Static IP". In Ubuntu, i used to setup connection through this method only and worked flawlessly. No issue at all. Trimming or lack of supporting file may be culprit in our case.

I have been experiencing some issue with Easyos with respect to static IP connection. Some underlying issue is making trouble with static ip configuration.

OscarTalks

#88 Post by OscarTalks »

I believe the test I conducted was essentially the same thing - assign a specific IP address to a specific PC connected to a LAN environment - and I was unable to reproduce any problem so I will probably have to leave this to someone with greater understanding of these things.

I am still suspicious of DNS and suggest you try setting it to something else as a test (try nameserver 1.1.1.1 as I suggested before).
I am also suspicious of the number with the 30 at the end which appears to be the gateway (192.168.1.30), but maybe this is because it is a large and complex LAN.

As a final suggestion from me and as others have mentioned, you could try Menu > Setup > Internet Connection Wizard and switch to Frisbee as an alternative network tool which allows setting of static IP and see if that works.
Oscar in England

rameshiyer

#89 Post by rameshiyer »

One occasion I have tried my luck through fresbi. It shows acquiring connection and showing my static ip. However no internet. Anyway I will try once again on Monday and let you know. No problem in my name ip. You can see my secondary DNS is as Google. In Easyos also setting static ip is not perfect. However connected and working. Still no connection at container browser.

rockedge

#90 Post by rockedge »

Hello rameshiyer,

change the primary and secondary DNS Server to 0.0.0.0
OR try and set it to the default route 192.168.1.1

my LAN has addresses up to 192.168.0.120

the router assigns the static LAN addresses and on my system that starts at 192.168.0.1 (router address) so insure the correct sub-net IP is used.

other than that the setup looks correct. I use many static sub-net IP's because many network cameras and several web servers are attached which must remain on the same ip's or restart of the system would be a nightmare
Last edited by rockedge on Sat 29 Feb 2020, 14:42, edited 2 times in total.

rockedge

#91 Post by rockedge »

Most of the time the router handles the static IP's so the individual machine shouldn't have to actually assign anything and will connect correctly with the settings for a dynamic connect since the router itself is doing the assigning internally

rameshiyer

Easy Pup

#92 Post by rameshiyer »

Sir

Hope you may be aware that in LAN environment, the change of gateway and dns changing is not possible due to other technical aspects including security reasons. Moreover my secondary DNS is 8.8.8.8. So i dont feel it is because of DNS issue.

Anyway in order to rule out, I will change the DNS to 1.1.1.1 or any free dns and let you know the staus.. Please note that no other puppy linux variants and mainline linux distribution having this problem. Only only Easypup ( No internet) and in EasyOs for container browser.

rockedge

#93 Post by rockedge »

that's what I mean...don't set the DNS let the router assign it..since the static sub net IP's are configured to be assigned to the same machines each time a router restart occurs.

rameshiyer

Easy Pup

#94 Post by rameshiyer »

Not like that this is wide LAN and connected to National Knowledge Network known as NKN. DNS was after considering all other aspects of Network. This connection is stable and having very good internet speed.

Once I have changed DNS in windows. However, I have encountered problems. Therefore, administrator gives me warning not to change DNS even though my connection is direct connection. Otherwise, many computers are connected through static connection with proxy ? ( login with password).

I repeat the problem only for Easypup and Easyos. In my PC I have installed several Puppy Linux and mainline linux distributions. No issues at all. Any knowledgeable person has to look into my issue in Easyos and Easypup,
Last edited by rameshiyer on Wed 04 Mar 2020, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#95 Post by BarryK »

Sage

#96 Post by Sage »

2.2.12: all seems to be working just fine, thanks.

thinkpadfreak

#97 Post by thinkpadfreak »

As far as I can tell, EasyPup 2.2.12 seems to be working fine. Thank you.

Rodney Byne

2.2.12 ok

#98 Post by Rodney Byne »

Pup 2.2.12 is working fine.
A note to Barry, Chromium sfs is still at v73,
lagging behind Buster at v79.
Methinks the sfs needs updating.
Thanks, regards.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#99 Post by BarryK »

If you want to run Chromium web browser, the version 79 in the Debian repository is broken. See my blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202003/chromium ... roken.html

We will have to wait until Debian release version 80. In the meantime, the version 73 SFS works fine.

OscarTalks

#100 Post by OscarTalks »

Testing EasyPup 2.2.12
Looking very good.
The only thing I have found is that, although Hiawatha starts, the PPLOG throws a 500 Internal Server Error in SeaMonkey so does not display.
I looked at the error log and it was pointing to missing CGI/Carp.pm perl module.
I installed libcgi-pm-perl by downloading the .deb from packages.debian.org and this has apparently fixed it.
https://packages.debian.org/buster/libcgi-pm-perl

Don't know if this program is in EasyOS. Have to say I have never used it myself in any Pup, but maybe others do
Attachments
pplog-fixed.jpg
PPLOG fixed
(38.78 KiB) Downloaded 603 times
Oscar in England