Bionic Puppy 8.0 x64 on Dell Inspiron 1100 3168 Model P25T

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
3guesses

Bionic Puppy 8.0 x64 on Dell Inspiron 1100 3168 Model P25T

#1 Post by 3guesses »

A quick post to report that the Bionic Puppy 8.0 x64 Live CD (on USB flash drive) and frugal install to built-in eMMC (using kernel 4.5.12 from Buster x64*) both boot successfully via UEFI, and on preliminary investigation work to varying degrees on a Dell Inspiron 1100 3168 Model P25T laptop.

Live CD on USB Flash

Note: This is booted using the standard kernel

- Built-in keyboard and touchpad fully functional
- Internal Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 802.11n Wireless network adapter functional
- Rankie USB 3.0 Gigabit wired network adapter functional
- Xorg set resolution to 1366x768 and 1920x1080 when connected by HDMI to a full HD external monitor
- Suspend/Wake actions functional using power button
- Intel Celeron N3060 1.60GHz CPU recognised
- 1 x 2GB DDR3 DIMM memory recognised
- USB 3.0 and USB 2,0 ports functional
- Battery recognised
- Both internal and HDMI speakers functional via Alsa Sound Wizard
- No sensors recognised
- The micro-SD card reader is functional

Frugal Install on Internal eMMC

Note: This is booted using the Buster x64 4.5.12 kernel

- Built-in keyboard and touchpad fully functional
- No network interfaces recognised (internal Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 802.11n Wireless wireless and Rankie USB 3.0 Gigabit wired adapters)
- Xorg will not set a resolution other than 800x600 and Xrandr lists NO resolutions when connected by HDMI to a full HD external monitor

The Fn key doesn't seem to be supported (eg. Fn+Down Cursor does not emulate Page Down).

* As with my experience of other devices which have internal eMMC drives, it should be noted that while it is straightforward to boot into the live CD (on USB flash drive**) and then perform a frugal install to the built-in eMMC, it is not possible to boot that frugal install because the standard kernel does not appear to support the eMMC and so initrd can't find the Puppy .sfs file to load and run - for more info, see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117895
** A UEFI bootable flash drive was created using Rufus (under Windows XP) to build a UEFI bootable antiX 19 Live CD flash drive, the Puppy 8.0 files (initrd.gz, vmlinuz, puppy_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs, zdrv_bionicpup64_8.0.sfs) copied onto it (into directory /puppy80x64), and then the /boot/grub/grub.cfg Grub2 configuration file edited and the following stanza added:

Code: Select all

menuentry "[gpt2] (1) Bionic Puppy 8.0 x64 - Frugal (USBFLASH)" {

set isouuid="70e7748a-dd1b-4a0a-86b1-47e729c6af9c"

set sysdir="/puppy80x64"

echo Boot disk address is: $root
  search --no-floppy --set --fs-uuid $isouuid
  echo UUID root is   : $root
  echo sys dir is     : $sysdir
  echo
  echo "Loading kernel ..."
  linux $sysdir/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck psubdir=$sysdir
  echo "Loading initial ramdisk ..."
  initrd $sysdir/initrd.gz
}
Last edited by 3guesses on Fri 14 Feb 2020, 16:51, edited 2 times in total.

666philb

#2 Post by 666philb »

is it not possibly to have just the boot loader on an sdcard and point it at the eMMC. i have to do something similar with my m2 ssd, i have just the boot loader installed onto a normal drive.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

3guesses

#3 Post by 3guesses »

666philb wrote:is it not possibly to have just the boot loader on an sdcard and point it at the eMMC. i have to do something similar with my m2 ssd, i have just the boot loader installed onto a normal drive.
The problem seems to be the lack of eMMC support in the standard Puppy 8.0 kernel. When I have time, I am planning to try compiling the kernel with eMMC support to test this and then will see if I can get this added to the next Puppy 8.0 release.

enrique

#4 Post by enrique »

If instead of help my post cause you trouble, please ignore my post. I had to many issues already with this, I do not want another one. But If you want to listen then here we go.

*eMMC support in the standard Puppy 8.0 kernel

About Kernel:
If Puppy vmlinuz &/or initrd.gz end up to be the issue, then we can always modify it or build a new one. Puppy kernel should NOT be consider to be a limiting factor.

About eMMC
eMMC vs MMC, in general it is all recognized as same type of block device: mmcblk#. For the most part you ignore it is embedded thing. BUTTTT!!! in many Platform(Laptop/Tablet/Android) this MMC are special devices with special bootloaders and even locked partitions.

About Loading mechanisim: Depending on your platform you may be allow or not to use internal or external MMC.
666philb wrote:is it not possibly to have just the boot loader on an sdcard and point it at the eMMC...
I take you called "sdcard" as an external removable sdcard, and eMMC the Internal Flash soldered memory chip.

Normally most platform will ignore INITIAL boot from external sdcard. This has nothing to do with kernel. Again you need to test and find that for your self. Once you know, all is possible. The boot sequence can always be manipulated if no locked bootloaders are present. UEFI is a LOCKED bootloader that have a special module to simulate BIOS a NONE Locked bootloader.

Conclusion. You need to test your platform/system to know up to what extent you are free to boot from any of those devices. But at the end ALL will be resume to what type of Puppy User you are. If You do not like Linux commands then the short answer is NO YOU CAN NOT DO THAT. But If you are willing to learn, then expect days or weeks of testing and learning. There is no limit at what you can learn. At the end you will either have a working Platform or you had learn to recognized where it will not work.

enrique

#5 Post by enrique »

666philb wrote:...i have to do something similar with my m2 ssd, i have just the boot loader installed onto a normal drive.
I do not have experience in "M.2 SSD". But again, it will all depends on what your platform manufacturer will allow you to do. It is up to you to find out that limit.

ozsouth

#6 Post by ozsouth »

My ideapad 110s wouldn't boot from eMMC until I removed the 'hidden' flag via Gparted. M2 ssd has no such issue.