No sound in YouTube in BionicPup32

Please post any bugs you have found
Aztk

No sound in YouTube in BionicPup32

#1 Post by Aztk »

Hi everyone. I hope to be posting this problem in the correct thread.

I am currently using 32-bit bionicpup. And I've only encountered one problem:

I have problems with the sound. As seen in the image, I cannot increase / decrease the volume. If I watch a video on YouTube, I don't hear anything.
Nor is any sound heard when I play music.

I only have sound when I watch videos locally, but obviously, I cannot increase the volume because the retrovol does not work.

Any possible solution?

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Atzk:-

I don't quite understand this. How come you only have a USB sound card? Does your hardware not possess a native, built-in one?

Any chance of letting us know what your hardware specs are - make, model, CPU, RAM, GPU.....etc, etc? Ought to give us something to work with, if you can....

Mike. :wink:

Aztk

#3 Post by Aztk »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ Atzk:-

I don't quite understand this. How come you only have a USB sound card? Does your hardware not possess a native, built-in one?

Any chance of letting us know what your hardware specs are - make, model, CPU, RAM, GPU.....etc, etc? Ought to give us something to work with, if you can....

Thanks for the prompt response.

I use an external USB sound card since the one on the motherboard burned. I currently use this model:

https://www.cyberpuerta.mx/index.php?cl ... M0QAvD_BwE

In terminal using these commands I get this. I really don't know what I am doing.

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Aztk:-

Mm. Ok. I'm no expert with this kinda thing, but you'd probably be better off posting in the Bionicpup32 thread itself; peebee, its creator, will be better-placed to help than I can. You can find it here:-

Bionicpup32 thread

Failing that, maybe the guys in the Spanish-speakers forum might be able to suggest things you could try.....

Usuarios de habla Hispana

nic007

#5 Post by nic007 »

Well, you have sound with local video files so your sound works. It could be that your video player "takes over" the default sound levels. Right-click the sound icon in the tray and choose "full window" (not the configuration window). You should now see the sound level bars. Adjust them to max levels and try playing the music files. Youtube uses its own video player and settings but your soundcard's volume settings should still be near max levels.

Aztk

#6 Post by Aztk »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ Aztk:-

Mm. Ok. I'm no expert with this kinda thing, but you'd probably be better off posting in the Bionicpup32 thread itself; peebee, its creator, will be better-placed to help than I can. You can find it here:-

Bionicpup32 thread

Failing that, maybe the guys in the Spanish-speakers forum might be able to suggest things you could try.....

Usuarios de habla Hispana

Uf! They were a few days full of work. But here I am again.

I will post a link in that thread to see if there is any solution. Thank you.

Aztk

#7 Post by Aztk »

nic007 wrote:Well, you have sound with local video files so your sound works. It could be that your video player "takes over" the default sound levels. Right-click the sound icon in the tray and choose "full window" (not the configuration window). You should now see the sound level bars. Adjust them to max levels and try playing the music files. Youtube uses its own video player and settings but your soundcard's volume settings should still be near max levels.
Retrevol doesn't recognize me at all. The sound bars do not appear to me.

Still, thanks for trying to help.

OscarTalks

#8 Post by OscarTalks »

There are some settings in Puppy which do not allow USB sound cards to become "Card 0" or "hw:0"
It is designed to stop USB cards from grabbing this designation when you plug one in.
This is because integrated motherboard sound cards (and then PCI sound cards) should have priority over USB.

In Retrovol, try this
In the Retrovol-Configuration window, Hardware tab (as shown in pic above)
Change hw:0 to hw:1 by typing and click the Apply button
Retrovol should then show volume sliders for Card 1 (your USB card designation).
Oscar in England

Aztk

#9 Post by Aztk »

OscarTalks wrote:There are some settings in Puppy which do not allow USB sound cards to become "Card 0" or "hw:0"
It is designed to stop USB cards from grabbing this designation when you plug one in.
This is because integrated motherboard sound cards (and then PCI sound cards) should have priority over USB.

In Retrovol, try this
In the Retrovol-Configuration window, Hardware tab (as shown in pic above)
Change hw:0 to hw:1 by typing and click the Apply button
Retrovol should then show volume sliders for Card 1 (your USB card designation).
Well thanks Oscar. What you recommended worked for me and now retrovol allows me to adjust the volume.

But I still have problems with the web browser. Youtube does not give me any sound. Some reason?

Aztk

#10 Post by Aztk »

All right. I tried to install a version of Firefox ESR and in terminal it marks me something about not recognizing the audio card 0

So Oscar supported me and using a little bit of logic, is there a file that I should modify to make the audio card 1 the default?

OscarTalks

#11 Post by OscarTalks »

Try using Menu>Setup>ALSA sound Wizard>Multiple cards
See if you can set card1 (USB Sound Device) as the default.
You may need to reboot after setting this, not sure.
The browser will send the audio to the card which has been set as default
Remember that Firefox will need apulse for sound.

Normally, card0 will be the default in the beginning, but the Multiple cards wizard should be able to change this so card1 is default.

If this does not work, we can try to force the USB card to become card0 (and also default) by editing /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf but don't do that yet, try the wizard first.

Edit:-
Looking back at your first post it looks like card1 is already set as default.
In that case, the problem may be that you are running Firefox without apulse
Do you have sound if you use the "Light" browser or one of the media players?
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#12 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Aztk:-

I got one of these things myself. What are you using for sound reproduction? Headphones? You are aware you can plug analogue speakers into these USB cards, yes? Anything with a 3.5mm jack plug will work; this is how I playback in Pup myself.

I have a Goodmans powered speaker system w/sub-woofer, and an output of something like 30W RMS. It's some years old now, but it came on the market at the time whem mp3 players were all the rage. Its sole input is a 2-meter lead.....with a 3.5mm jack plug on the end; the idea being, you plug this into an mp3 player's headphone socket, and playback through the speakers rather than using headphones, which allows you to 'share' your music.

I've never used it for this purpose - I used it with a portable CD player (same principle) - but it's proved to be an ideal PC speaker system, since it plugs into my rear audio-out headphone jack socket.....

Just some info for you there. USB sound cards, for all that they're a good workaround solution, do need summat plugged into them before you'll get any sound. Plugging one in doesn't automatically give you sound through your machine's internal speakers, I'm afraid.