Would WireGuard ever make it into PuppyLand OSes?

For discussions about security.
belham2

Would WireGuard ever make it into PuppyLand OSes?

#1 Post by belham2 »

https://www.wired.com/story/wireguard-g ... ecure-vpn/

For some months, I (and a few of friends) have daily used-------when doing something important online from a public and/or uncertain wifi location------ Cloudfare's Warp+ on our own personal (non-work) phones (Apple and Android). I personally love what Cloudfare has been doing, as Warp+ is seamless and beyond easy to use, and it removed many of the options I had no need for.

But to have WireGuard built into the Linux kernel, I mean, would that be a good or bad thing?

Sure seems that maybe OpenVPN is getting the shaft here, or in clearer terms, Wireguard is taking the piss.

8Geee

#2 Post by 8Geee »

If its for celly/smart phones, I think its programmed forARM-risc: not x86/64. I do realize the kernel might have need, but in the ARM folder. When it gets to x64 x86 base, then perhaps most pups can benefit. OTOH the pups designed for cel/smart can benefit.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Linux Kernel 5.6 Source Tree Includes WireGuard VPN
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... guard-vpn/
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

ras

#4 Post by ras »

But to have WireGuard built into the Linux kernel
or your router?

https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-ar750s/

or use your sim card data

https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-x750/
RAS

8Geee

#5 Post by 8Geee »

In reading up on this, I see that Mozilla is in beta testing for WIN10/Android. Linux coming soon. Price is $5/month during beta. Hopefully, the dev. team gets a sizeable chunk of such Lincoln Portrait.

Regards
8Geee

ras

#6 Post by ras »

8Geee wrote:In reading up on this, I see that Mozilla is in beta testing for WIN10/Android. Linux coming soon. Price is $5/month during beta. Hopefully, the dev. team gets a sizeable chunk of such Lincoln Portrait.

Regards
8Geee

you can buy direct from the source for the same price or follow the link here...

https://mullvad.net/en/help/partnerships-and-resellers/
RAS

belham2

#7 Post by belham2 »

Well, it's official now, Wireguard made it into all Linux kernel releases as of just released Linux 5.6 Kernel:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/03 ... ux-kernel/

OpenVPN and its adherents cannot be happy........

enrique

#8 Post by enrique »

I am sorry but I do not understand you guys.

This is the crazy of ideas. To put a VPN module in the Kernel. It goes against all expectation. What happen Linux rule "keep it simple".

Kernel.org have been deleting time after time commands with the idea to keep kernel growth( smaller). Now we are adding stuff that do not belong on the kernel. kernel function is to manage BASICs setups of hardware devices. So that the OS can BUILD on TOP and make it more functional.

But here we go one more time, Iphone dummy heads creating a move (users), just because they think they will have a free VPN for the movies insatiable appetite.

Then the usual wolf like Cloudflare just behind. They see this as an opportunity to force all your SECURE communication go throu their on FREE services. Making VPN security a JOKE. As any VPN server they will have you keys. But Joe the Iphone nerd will be happy because he thinks can see Netflix from outside the allow countries. Like if this will last. What a joke.

ras

#9 Post by ras »

something about how it works?

https://www.wireguard.com/netns/
RAS

enrique

#10 Post by enrique »

My objective is not to start and argument. But to make you guys aware that this is obviously wrong.

I bet you they can find 1001 stories about why. I do not have to read, how they advertise to use it. I need valid reason why I need it in the kernel.

For me this is like pretending saving water, soap and time. All in times of the corona virus. So I propose to wash our wearing cloth with our Out house dishes. All at once ..... All my objectives will be meet, we save water, soap and time. But did that makes it right?

Let me give you an hypothetical scenario.
On Puppy we are root so I guess we will have some control. But most OS the user do not. In the other hand we have for example Phones. Lets assume Android. Its user are not allow to even look inside the the OS. The root is in fact manage by the Phone provider, Manufacturer even our Intelligence services. Now you gave them a SWITCH. Just with simple command all our communications are move away from our normal data channels and Tunneled thru whatever they decide the VPN server will be. All without the knowledge of the user. They will not have to install, configure, etc, etc. Just 100% working and available in all future kernels with a simple command.

Lets not imagine what a hacker can do with that SWITCH. Another Backdoor on the making. Nice tool.

I know I prove my point . I will not be posting more on the issue on this thread.

Wiz57

#11 Post by Wiz57 »

enrique wrote:My objective is not to start and argument. But to make you guys aware that this is obviously wrong.

I bet you they can find 1001 stories about why. I do not have to read, how they advertise to use it. I need valid reason why I need it in the kernel.

For me this is like pretending saving water, soap and time. All in times of the corona virus. So I propose to wash our wearing cloth with our Out house dishes. All at once ..... All my objectives will be meet, we save water, soap and time. But did that makes it right?

Let me give you an hypothetical scenario.
On Puppy we are root so I guess we will have some control. But most OS the user do not. In the other hand we have for example Phones. Lets assume Android. Its user are not allow to even look inside the the OS. The root is in fact manage by the Phone provider, Manufacturer even our Intelligence services. Now you gave them a SWITCH. Just with simple command all our communications are move away from our normal data channels and Tunneled thru whatever they decide the VPN server will be. All without the knowledge of the user. They will not have to install, configure, etc, etc. Just 100% working and available in all future kernels with a simple command.

Lets not imagine what a hacker can do with that SWITCH. Another Backdoor on the making. Nice tool.

I know I prove my point . I will not be posting more on the issue on this thread.
Almost akin to pre-installed rootkits!
[b]ScPup 32 and LxPupSC 32 (ScPup w/LX desktop)
Good Pups for Lazy Slackers [/b] :lol:

8Geee

#12 Post by 8Geee »

So that others may see some of the concerns this linkshows the major integraters (partners) of Cloudflare. I wonder if any data collection/cache occurs. I do not know.

Link two is the workers forum with Q&A about js-workers (also Rust and various C-language). There are other forums, but this one is what happens when you write code.

It is made clear at the website that a certain amount of requests can be made free of charge, but a fee ranging from $5 - $10 per million applies after that. So there IS a cost for larger users. Not totally free... but you and I with meager requests, yeah, free.

Cloudfare DOES want you and I to use THEIR networking solution. In fact there is mentioned that some LAN networks actually close the connection after use (like its always open ???) with work-around.

Regards
8Geee

ras

#13 Post by ras »

Now you gave them a SWITCH. Just with simple command all our communications are move away from our normal data channels and Tunneled thru whatever they decide the VPN server will be.
who is they?

I think belham2 has brought up 2 different ways to utilize a VPN, comparing Cloudfares service complete with its own app to wireguard which you can set up yourself on your own network or connect thru a service of your choosing. are they connected somehow?
RAS

enrique

#14 Post by enrique »

ras wrote:who is they?
See enrique's view

8Geee

#15 Post by 8Geee »

enrique:

Cloudflare is a VPN provider among many. You have other choices. Wiregard is the cat's meow. Only 1% of the code needed (compared to OpenVPN), and uses best and newest crypto schemes only. If you want to bash Cloudflare, take it elsewhere, and I see that you have. I DO have questions about Cloudflare, and personally don't trust them... but I also know that I have other choices.

Regards
8Geee