is there alternative to palemoon browser?

Using applications, configuring, problems
wert

is there alternative to palemoon browser?

#1 Post by wert »

I use puppy xenial 7.5. The deault palemoon browser crashes often when using then I have to restart x server using keys. I think it's the palemoon's browser engine conflicting with the modern linux kernel on the xenialpup75.
I've tried Chromium browser and it works amazing but it's to heavy on my system e.g. youtuube videos are frames stagnating. I need a lightweight browser for old hardware. PLease don't recommend another puppy OS since xenial7.5 is my prefered choice. Rather, stick to browser alternatives

mikeslr

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Frankly, you shouldn't have a problem with Palemoon under Xenialpup 7.5. My inclination would be to find out why you are. Which Xenaialpup --32 or 64 bit? Which Palemoon? How installed? How much RAM? etc.

But, as you've referred to 'old hardware', I'm assuming you're running Xenialpup 7.5 32-bit. On that system you might want to try one of Mike Walsh's Seamonkey Portables, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy//viewt ... 26#1024826. These use less RAM than Palemoon, while still enabling access to almost all websites and all but a couple streaming video formats.

d4rkn1ght

#3 Post by d4rkn1ght »

You could also try the full install of SeaMonkey. After all, SeaMonkey is the Puppy Linux classic default browser.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

If this is the original Pale Moon that comes with Xenialpup 7.5.

Pale Moon has had a lot of improvement.

They did update Pale Moon by using a separate update program, but now do it internally in Pale Moon.

First run Quickpet->Info->Xenialpup updates.
Reboot to make sure changes are now being used.

Run menu->Internet->Palemoon Updater
This will run one time and update Pale Moon to v28.0.0

To keep updating to latest v28.8.4
Use the update now built into Pale Moon.
Pale Moon->help->Check for Updates.....

The newest version of Pale Moon should work much better.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ wert:-

I have to agree with some of the others.

Your solution will be to totally wipe the old Palemoon (and everything associated with it) off your system, and start afresh, with a new download.

Do remember to back up your bookmarks first. Ctrl + Shift + O together; this opens the Bookmarks Manager. Top row of buttons - Import & Backup->Export bookmarks to HTML file. Save it in my-documents, or somewhere you know where to find it; it's not very big.

I think tallboy's probably right; if you've got the 'left-overs' of several previous upgrades hanging around, things do start getting untidy. and 'messy'.

Either download the official tarball from here:-

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/#

.....and make sure to grab the x86 tarball; this is the one you want. Either that, or you could try the portable version I assembled last year (don't worry; it might be a few versions out of date, but it'll very soon be back to where it should if you check for & apply the offered update.)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115119

Or, as t'other Mike says above, try the SeaMonkey-portable package:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115876

Your choice.....but Palemoon is definitely worth keeping. When working properly, it's fast, lightweight, and doesn't hog resources like many do. Which is why it's the default in many Pups.

Mike. :wink:

linuxcbon

Re: is there alternative to palemoon browser?

#6 Post by linuxcbon »

wert wrote:I use puppy xenial 7.5. The deault palemoon browser crashes often when using then I have to restart x server using keys. I think it's the palemoon's browser engine conflicting with the modern linux kernel on the xenialpup75.
I've tried Chromium browser and it works amazing but it's to heavy on my system e.g. youtuube videos are frames stagnating. I need a lightweight browser for old hardware. PLease don't recommend another puppy OS since xenial7.5 is my prefered choice. Rather, stick to browser alternatives
You can try chromium 73 (latest to support video acceleration) or firefox.