Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 10 Jul 2020, 19:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Telstra Smart Modem Unseen in Some Pups [FIXED, not Solved]
Page 1 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
davids45

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2020, 21:57    Post subject:  Telstra Smart Modem Unseen in Some Pups [FIXED, not Solved]
Subject description: Smart Modem not being seen in wifi scans with each wizard

G'day,

I'm suddenly having wifi connection problems with many Puppies on a Samsung laptop. It has built-in wifi (=wlan0).
Windows7 has had no problem connecting (came with the laptop).

Using wlan0 had been fine for all Pups (32 & 64 bit) for years, but for the last week or so, I'm seeing erratic behaviour.

For many but not all Pups, I cannot "find" the SSID of my router when scanning with any of the Puppy wizards. Neighbours' weaker SSIDs show up but not mine, even if I'm next the modem-router (Telstra Smart with nbn)

I've tried a USB dongle (=wlan1) which sometimes works (finds the router on a scan and connects).

Running "ifconfig -a" lists a strange device 'tunl0' with a stranger Mac address, this is with and without the good USB dongle (wlan1) plugged in (screenshots).
There are errors in wlan0 packets - are these related to tunl0?

Can I remove this tunl0 as it seems, so far, the only thing to explain this sudden inability in my laptop to connect Puppies by wifi to my modem-router? If so, how?

I did not see any 'blacklist' on the router when I logged onto it.

All very strange and too technical for me Embarassed .

Thanks for any help.

David S.
no-usb-adapter-noWifi.jpg
 Description   laptop-only result for ifconfig -a; what is this tunl0 which may be stopping wifi connection?
 Filesize   90.23 KB
 Viewed   240 Time(s)

no-usb-adapter-noWifi.jpg

usb-plugged-goodWifi.jpg
 Description   posting now via wlan1 in a XenialPup
 Filesize   132.28 KB
 Viewed   239 Time(s)

usb-plugged-goodWifi.jpg

Last edited by davids45 on Fri 03 Apr 2020, 18:50; edited 3 times in total
s243a

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2020, 22:21    Post subject:  

I'm also curious as to why you have a tunnel device. Try the following command to see what processes might be using it:

Code:

netstat -ap -i tunl0

https://superuser.com/questions/614278/find-processes-using-a-network-device

davids45

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar 2020, 21:18    Post subject: Not tunl0 causing erratic wifi
Subject description: Removing laptop's built-in wifi now being tried

G'day s243a,
Thanks for the interest in my laptop's sudden WiFi weirdness.

I've run your netstat script in several Pups, some not working to see or log on to my router, others are good with wifi as before this problem arose.

The presence of the tunl0 does not seem to determine if the computer can see my router amongst the weaker signals from my neighbourhood.

I'm in a wifi-connected DPupStretch-7.5 now with the tunl0 present. After booting, I removed the brcmsmac driver by a modprobe, so the only wlan is now the USB dongle and this has connected without drama and the tunl0 is still there (screenshots).

Maybe I'll try a remove-brcmsmac script in /root/Startup in a few more Pups on this laptop to see if that helps show the problem's cause.

It could still be some intermittent failing in this laptop or even in the Telstra Smart Modem which began use here about the same time as I noticed this erratic wifi with some Puppies.

I haven't noticed any issues with other wifi-using devices around the house (yet?).

David S.
ifconfig-connected.jpg
 Description   tunl0 there and good wifi via wlan0 dongle
 Filesize   87.06 KB
 Viewed   198 Time(s)

ifconfig-connected.jpg

netstat-outputs.jpg
 Description   connected with wlan0 as my USB dongle; no laptop inbuilt wifi.
 Filesize   41.8 KB
 Viewed   198 Time(s)

netstat-outputs.jpg

bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar 2020, 04:17    Post subject:  

You could try changing to a different channel for the wifi router.
https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/why-channels-1-6-11.html
Quote:
Selecting the proper WiFi channel can significantly improve your WiFi coverage and performance. In the 2.4 GHz band, 1, 6, and 11 are the only non-overlapping channels. Selecting one or more of these channels is an important part of setting up your network correctly.

You could be using one of the overlapping channels, that is getting interference form other wifi signals, in the area.
Yes, it will not happen all the time.
It greatly depends on who is doing what and when.
The routers setup should allow channel changing.
If nothing else, try using a different channel.

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar 2020, 08:25    Post subject:  

Quote:
brcmsmac

If you think that the problem is related to Broadcom wifi, you could try switching to the wl driver.
davids45

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar 2020, 22:30    Post subject: Missing SSID problem spreading
Subject description: Newer Pups and some older ones affected?

G'day,

I am still finding USB wifi dongles failing to see/report our new 'Telstra Smart Modem' (connected to our new National Broadband Network or NBN) when scanning in some Puppies.

A Good Puppy reports on a wifi scan with BK's SNS our modem with strong signals and neighbours' wifi with weak signal strength. (lower screenshot)

A Bad Puppy fails to see the strong signal of our modem, just weak signals of the neighbours. (upper screenshot)

Problem first noticed on my Samsung laptop but now new Pups such as epupef-20.04-rc1 have this failure-to-see. Blacklisting the inbuilt wifi of the laptop and just using a USB wifi adapter was sometimes good, sometimes not, and usually saw more neighbours' wifi if that meant anything.

My desktop with a different dongle and no in-built wifi (too old) is having the same problem with new Pup installs.

Pups on the laptop have been deleted then re-installed but keet failing to now see our SSID. Most of these had previously been fine as they had had a saved profile for the Smart Modem made very soon after we switched Smart Modems.

The common element seems to be the Smart Modem and not the laptop and its wifi.
There has been no problem with Windows-using computers (the laptop still has W7 which is fine on wifi). Android phones and a tablet and the Epson wifi-networked printer are fine as well.

Is a wireless modem able to hide its signal from a particular Puppy's scan, possibly randomly, or by some other means (not MAC filtering as the same dongle works and doesn't work depending on the Pup)?

Any ideas or ways to identify what's going on?

David S.
Bad-noSmartModem-eoanpupef.jpg
 Description   SNS scan in eoanpupef has neighbours' weak strength wifi but not our full strength modem - should have three log-in options but all 3 are missing
 Filesize   53.52 KB
 Viewed   119 Time(s)

Bad-noSmartModem-eoanpupef.jpg

Good-bionicpup32.jpg
 Description   good signals found by SNS in a bionicpup32a few minutes after the bad result in a newly installed eoanpupef. The max strength three are our smart modem.
 Filesize   72.4 KB
 Viewed   119 Time(s)

Good-bionicpup32.jpg

ozsouth

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar 2020, 23:34    Post subject:  

tunl0 seems to be related to the ipip module.
Append your bootup kernel line, to end thus: module_blacklist=ipip
& reboot. Hopefully that helps.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar 2020, 07:10    Post subject:  

I see 4 to 6 different Telstra wifi routers listed.

Good chance they are all using the same WIFI channel.

Go into the setup for yours and change the channel, as I talked about in a previous post.

Are you positive you are picking your WIFI router and it is password protected (encrypted) to hook to it?
In the router setup you can give it a specific name.

bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar 2020, 07:33    Post subject:  

Quote:
SNS scan in eoanpupef has neighbours' weak strength wifi but not our full strength modem

This version of Puppy is in testing for bugs and fixing.
It just got released to try and find bugs.
You may have found a bug.
You need to report this in the eoanpupef topic.

davids45

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar 2020, 00:25    Post subject:  

G'day bigpup,
Thanks for your inputs.

But I don't think it's a bug in EoanPupEF as I have this same My-Modem-Wifi-not-seen problem with some other Pups on the same laptop. Some Ubuntu-based but others not.

I think it's the new Modem, being the only common thread apart from the many Puppies I have. Single OS devices (Windows computer, Android phones and tablets) seem unaffected so far.

Newly installed Pups like EoanPupEF seem more affected and I wonder if the new (maybe-not-so-)Smart Modem is ignoring the new attempts at connection.
I can't find if it has a limit to the number of connections it accepts and has reached that limit (with my many Puppies).

I see lots of puppypcxxxx connections listed in the Devices List of the Modem and wondered if it is denying these new ones because of these many similar connections. This list looks too short to be a complete list of connections I have made per Puppy.

I could rename some good and bad Puppies to have the same name, e.g. puppy1234 and see if that worked, or changed anything.

I think it can't be MAC filtering as the USB wifi dongle is a constant for the laptop so all Pups on the laptop should show the same MAC address?

I've posted my problem on the Telstra CrowdSupport website-forum to see if any of their volunteer helpers have any clues.

David S.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar 2020, 08:34    Post subject:  

Have you considered the possibility that the real culprit here is your Puppy WiFi connection software?
davids45

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar 2020, 19:13    Post subject:  

G'day rcrsn51,

Yes, it is a possibility but not one I can immediately do anything about as far as I know or have any expertise in.

Do you suspect one of the three main wizards which seem to have been Ok for years now? When a Puppy won't connect, all three wizards fail to see my Smart Modem but do see the weaker signals from various neighbour wifi.

I have not tried your Peasy version - is it basically different to these other wizards? I can try it on a few Pups anyway.

I have been changing the hostname on Puppies on my laptop to be the same to see if my SmartModem can't handle lots of different hostnames from the same computer.
The modem's "wifi devices list" lists by hostname first not computer or MAC address.

David S.
TelstraArcadyan-Wifideviceslist.jpg
 Description   "Devices list" from Smart Modem - seems truncated for number of different Puppies I've tried to connect to it
 Filesize   91.97 KB
 Viewed   50 Time(s)

TelstraArcadyan-Wifideviceslist.jpg

bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar 2020, 12:24    Post subject:  

All the Puppy connections are using 2.4G
WIFI transmission Channel interference, is common, using that.

Just try changing the WIFI transmission channel that your router is using.
Try channel 6.

Again, you have too many WIFI routers, of the same brand, transmitting in your area.
Unless they changed the channels being used.
I bet they are all using the default one.

davids45

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar 2020, 18:13    Post subject: Changing the Modem/router Wifi channel  

G'day bigpup,

Thanks for persisting with possible answers for my strange wifi problem.

Every other device and computer in the house does not have the wifi Smart-Modem not-seen problem - will changing the Telstra Smart Modem channel cause any issues with these other devices and the good Pups and W7 on my lap-top which do see our new modem? Need to avoid a 'lead balloon' situation.

I still have the previous Telstra Smart Modem (different make, and said to be NBN-compatible) which was free of this wifi problem with my laptop. But the idea of switching to this, even for a test, upsets my other half whose devices are free of any problem with the new modem Rolling Eyes .

Of the neighbours' wifi that do show (a variable list), I could check the channels they are using I suppose and, if allowed to try a channel change, pick the least popular.

Thanks again,

David S.
cthisbear

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar 2020, 21:35    Post subject:  

Whirlpool may have answers as well.
862,101 registered members

eg:

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2768946

Not knocking anyone here.

Whatever starts to work please post back.
They also have a Linux section.

Chris.
Page 1 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: