Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 10 Jul 2020, 19:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Xenialpup-7.5 driver for TL-WN823N?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
boof

PostPosted: Tue 07 Apr 2020, 09:22    Post subject:  Xenialpup-7.5 driver for TL-WN823N?  

I don't have kernel sources for this distro, but it's the latest ubuntu the driver was made for. anyone got the driver or where is kernel_sources, pls?
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 07 Apr 2020, 12:06    Post subject:  

The kernel sources sfs is here
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-xenial
Xenialpup 7.5 was released using two possible kernels.
Make sure you get the one for the kernel used in your Xenialpup 7.5

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 08 Apr 2020, 10:02    Post subject:  

@ boof:-

Mm. Looks like you may have fallen into the classic "trap for the unwary". You've gone and bought something shiny that catches your eye, and you're now trying to force it to work under Linux. Rarely works.

It all boils down to the chipset in use.....and I cannot find any references to this particular adapter being used under Linux anywhere. And until we know the chipset, we can't even build you a kernel driver 'module'.....for until we know the chipset's manufacturer, we don't even know which website to visit in order to obtain the source code.

Two things, please?

Is this a v2, or a v3?

If you run

Code:
iwconfig

.....in the terminal while the adapter is plugged into a box running Puppy (doesn't matter if the thing's working or not), what output do you get?

That version number is important, BTW. TP-Link have been known to change chipsets between different versions of the same item.....

EDIT:- Curiously, TP-Link actually appear to have driver source code for Linux on this item's support page. This is extremely unusual for them.....but downloading shows it to be using the one version of the Realtek RTL8192 chipset that most current kernels still don't support - the 8192eu. So it looks as though this could be compiled if necessary, given that the supplied source code is for this specific adapter.

@ boof:- We'll still need that version number, please.

Mike. Wink
davids45

PostPosted: Wed 08 Apr 2020, 19:04    Post subject: "Trap - fall in here" - I obeyed the sign too.
Subject description: But an rtl8192eu driver is available for 64-bit BionicPup

G'day boof,
I too have recently had to fall into Mike Walsh's 'trap for the unwary' and bought a TP-Link TL-WN823N wifi adapter.

Given the depletion of computer goodies on-sale due to everyone here home isolating and widely using the internet, my choice for a replacement wifi dongle was restricted to just a few "something shiny that catches your eye" boxes. The TP-Link was cheapest Embarassed . And there were still quite a few shiny boxes of these on the shelf - in retrospect, not a coincidence?

Luckily, I wanted the dongle for an old desktop running 64-bit BionicPup-8.0 and ozsouth had just made a driver for 64-bit Bionic:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1042736#1042736.
With his help to also first remove the useless rtl8xxxu driver, I now have this old desktop connecting via this adapter Very Happy .

I don't know how desperate you are, but if your computer is 64-bit compatible, you could try BionicPup64-8.0 and ozsouth's driver to at least get on the net.

David S.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: