ASRI Edu - using computers sans hard drives

Promote Puppy !
enrique

ASRI Edu - using computers sans hard drives

#1 Post by enrique »

fabrice_035 wrote:Deja said but https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASRI_Edu had done an incredible job. I know a school that had only computers given by parents but the hard drives were systematically removed (legal question in relation to the licenses of the apps no doubt) so they were restarted with USB keys and distribution above!
I seen fabrice_035 speaking a few time in this ASRI Edu
I saw he wrote this in french forum but it deserve to be notice by all.

I live in Puerto Rico a USA territory. As part of USA we have to keep legal licensing available for inspections. There are real heavy fine for Apps without proper documentation. I do not recall but it is on the order od $25,000-$100,00. But for organizations it is really hard as users do install their own without official permission.

Now see what this ASRI Edu has done. They remove the HDD. And it seems they allow users to only use their own USB Memories to run their equipment. I think that is smart. And an opportunity for Puppy.

As a note I been told that one of the reason why there are many old chromebooks on the markets is that organizations did try to limit their legal exposure due to user unofficial installation. Small to no SDCARD on devices was their response. I guess now they are upgrading. I wonder what is the new thing.