WINE (from .pet) is driving me to drink!

Using applications, configuring, problems
Bill Haynes

WINE (from .pet) is driving me to drink!

#1 Post by Bill Haynes »

So I made the error of installing WINE via quickpet,

All I wanted was a background program to run decades old games and what I got was a plethora of unwanted windows-like applications.
Is this a new feature of WINE or a "value added" feature of quickpet?

Even worse when I went to the Puppy Package Manager and uninstalled WINE it cleaned off a very few of the unwanted applications leaving all of the applications I didn't want, but removing the WINE functionality of running DIRECTX games.
Within the Puppy framework, how do I find a finer grained tool for removing all of this unwanted, unneeded, bloat, and just install WINE without browsers, editors, games, file manager, etc?

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Always, always, always tell us what exact version of Puppy you are running?????????

Probably what you are seeing is menu entries for Wine and programs that are part of Wine.

Wine is a specialized almost complete OS that mimics Windows.
It runs inside of a Linux OS.
Those menu entries for Wine programs, you will find are needed, to really completely use Wine.
They are all needed for Wine to work properly.
At sometime, you will need to access one of them.
The menu->Utility entries are easy way to run any of them.

To start with.
Before doing anything with Wine.

First run Wine Config

The first time you run it. Some other needed files and programs will be downloaded and installed.
When the config window opens.
Go to driver tab and auto-detect all drives, so Wine knows where they all are, that it is going to use.
Under applications tab.
Select what overall version of Windows you want Wine to emulate.
Can also select, each Windows program you install and select the Windows version for it to run in.
So, Wine Config, you will be using.

I am assuming you are Using Bionicpup64 8.0
menu->Desktop->JWMDesk Manager->menu tab->item Editor
Change what is and is not in the menu.

Wine web site
https://www.winehq.org/
Here you can get specific info on running a specific Windows software in Wine.

Wine is not 100% perfect.
Windows programs are all over the place for what they need to run.
Wine is constantly being worked on and is getting better and better.
This is the Wine topic for Puppy Wine pets.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88711
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Geek3579

#3 Post by Geek3579 »

I have had issues with Wine from the PPM, and so I just use Portable Wine, even in a 64 bit Puppy (with 32 bit compatibility sfs).

In fact you can have both Wines installed at the same time. Wine from PPM wine runs under a terminal command: wine <Windows_Program.exe> .

Portable wine runs under wine.sh <Windows_Program.exe> .

You still need to run wine.sh winecfg to get it operational.

It just works.

ndujoe1

#4 Post by ndujoe1 »

My reply doesn't advance your cause, just reflects my bias.

I gave up using Wine, it never worked well for me, long ago.
No interest in making Puppylinux a Windows clone:)

mikeslr

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Creating Wine for Puppy is still a work of art. As bigpup points out, it is an entirely different operating system than the Puppy it runs under. As there are a couple of windows applications I still find either unique or useful, I always use either a Wine pet created by version2013 or one of the portable-wines (to which Geek3579 referred). The portable-wines published in the last couple years are my builds which combined the work of version2013 to create a wine pet with that of shinobar and the Japanese Team to run it as a portable -- that is not installed into a SaveFile or SaveFolder.

You'll find version2013's wine pets here, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 128#725128. Read the first post to understand how to obtain the version of your choice. Scroll down to the discussion of "- menu entries" and the link to the wine_extras-v2.1.pet without which there will be NO MENU Entries. See this post for installing or creating your own. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 255#882255.

You'll find a link to the most recent portable-wine here. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 245#989245. Portable-Wine provides several menu listings under Menu>Utilities which, as bigpup pointed out, your can turn off. Frankly, other than Wine Config I've never found a reason to use any. Portable-Wine provides Start>Menu>System>Windows Program Loader which opens a GUI to any Windows Program you install. The above referenced link explains how to create your own menu entries for specific programs.

WineHQ reports this about directx:

"8.3 Does Wine support DirectX? Should I install Microsoft's DirectX under Wine?

Wine itself provides a DirectX implementation that, although it has a few bugs left, should run fine. Wine supports DirectX 9.0c at this time. Work on DirectX 10 is underway.

If you attempt to install Microsoft's DirectX, you will run into problems. It is not recommended nor supported by Wine HQ to attempt this. You can install the runtime, but it will not run. The runtime needs access to the Windows drivers, and Wine cannot access them for obvious reasons. The only native Microsoft DLLs that could be useful anyway are the d3dx9_xx.dll type ones, and these require you to accept Microsoft's license. Additionally, versions of these DLLs are now part of the Wine tree. So, as Wine improves these DLLs will only become less relevant.

That said, there are some guides out there which describe how you can install Microsoft's DirectX. We reiterate: it is not recommended nor supported by Wine HQ to attempt this. Furthermore it is considered off topic in Wine HQ support mediums (such as the forums). Please use a clean Wine configuration folder before seeking help (delete your ~/.wine or use another wineprefix and re-install your Windows applications)."

Both portable-wine and any pet version2013 published contains wine-tricks. It can be opened via terminal with the command wine winetricks (portable wine.sh winetricks) followed by arguments. Under wine this terminal command (without the quotes) "wine winetricks dlls list" will reveal directx9 to be available with the advice "MS DirectX 9 (Usually overkill. Try d3dx9_36 first) (Microsoft, 2010) [downloadable]" d3dx9_36 also appears on the list. Selecting either will download and install it. But remember --if I read the quote from WineHq correctly-- some kind of implementation of DirectX may already be built into your version of Wine.

Before installing any new version of Wine you should clear your system of whatever it currently has. See this post, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 42#1055242

enrique

#6 Post by enrique »

About 3 month ago I said this. I guess I should mention it gain just in case there is a master Builder with interest.

There is a bunch like this post.
Without relating necessary to the Original Poster. I believe a Puppy Master Builder should consider that there is NEED for a Special Puppy version. There are a bunch of request of people that have no intention to moved into Puppy. Nor even Linux. But some how they see Puppy as their momentary solution. In this case WINE. But there are others needs like Xrdp Puppy Server.

My point, there should be a Puppy version that should include latest FULLY Wine Installed with all its requird libraries. It should include Xrdp Server and other windows needs. And yes it may be BULKY, HUGE in size. The point is not to have a small Puppy, but a READY to USE Easy Puppy. Just as there is a Puppy Tarup some place around Full with games installed.
Bill Haynes wrote:So I made the error of installing ...

Within the Puppy framework, how do I find a finer grained tool for removing all of this unwanted, unneeded, bloat, and just install WINE without browsers, editors, games, file manager, etc?
Not much of what his is running. I assume he want a bare Puppy. Witch bring me to the question. Do we have a Bare Real Puppy?

There are bare Debian Dogs. But I do not think is what he wants.

Geek3579

#7 Post by Geek3579 »

enrique has a point, and I empathize with it

However...
Portable Wine is sooooooo easy to install and win.exe's can be run run using the WINE console.
Most people would use only a few Windows programs, due to the availability of so many useful Linux alternatives,
Even a built-in WINE may never be able to run/accommodate all the Windows programs people might wish to use.

Due to the Law of Diminishing Returns it is probably more efficient to use existing setups, or work on updating Portable WINE.

enrique

#8 Post by enrique »

So, then the question is: In what thread I can find "Portable Wine is sooooooo easy to install" and for what Puppys.

Edit:
Is this the thread?
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=989245

Edit2:
I see mikeslr referring to it. Humm. I do not personally needed, as I did manually installed. My installation run most of win7. Clearly there are apps that will never run due to windows driver. But most that do not try to manage devices direct from windows can be made to work by installing required libraries. But As soon I have little time I will test this portable to see difference. If this works as advertise, ignore my original suggestion.

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

Bill Haynes has left the building.

This topic is now for the rest of us.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)