How to find all your attachments

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Pizzasgood

How to find all your attachments

#1 Post by Pizzasgood »

If you have many attachments, but you can't remember where they are, then this post is for you. The forum has an "Attachment Control Panel" that you can use, but it isn't obvious how to get there. What you do is find your name somewhere where it is a hyper-link, such as in the members list, or in the part of the forum that lists threads and the author and last poster have their names as links.

Click on your name. It will take you to the public part of your profile. To the bottom right it will show your attachment quota as a bar. Under that it has a link that says "User Attachment Control Panel". Click that. It will take you to the control panel.

Now you will see a list of all your attachments. It will have data about them, such as the size, number of downloads, and your comments. It will also have links to the original threads, and even delete checkboxes. If you go to your original post you can also delete or update attachments.

If you want to remove the attachment to save forum resources, one way to keep the content available is to host the file yourself or try to get someone to mirror it. Then you should edit the post that had the attachment and leave a link to the new location so people can find it.

See this thread about mirroring things with MU and TedDog: http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=3778
Last edited by Pizzasgood on Mon 16 Oct 2006, 07:01, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: How to find all your attachments

#2 Post by Flash »

Pizzasgood wrote:Attachments to the forum may slow it down.
Just in case attachments are not the cause of the forum's ills, please leave attachments in posts that are less than, say, 6 months old until we find out for sure it will help to remove them. In particular, removing attachments from posts referenced in the Beginners and Additional Software sticky indexes might render those indexes mostly a waste of time.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

yes, it was just a suggestion that attachments might be a factor

but a forum really does not make an ideal file server anyway

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

This is more about finding them than urging their removal. For example, I had a bunch of old stuff that I never would have found otherwise. Now I moved it to my website and freed up that space here. I'll go edit it so it doesn't appear so "remove them now"-ish...
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]