Audacity will not open some .mp3 files (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mercedes350se

Audacity will not open some .mp3 files (Solved)

#1 Post by Mercedes350se »

I am running a frugal install of BionicPup32 with Audacity 2.2.1. I have several .mp3 files containing a number of tracks. What i am trying to do is separate the tracks and name them appropriately.

However when trying to open the .mp3 files I get this message: File Error Audacity failed to write to a file. Perhaps /var/tmp/audacity-root/ is not writable or the disk is full.

Looking into /var/tmp/audacity-root after attempting to load the file I have /var/tmp/audacity-root/project941419024/e00/d00/( a list of .au files)
There is also /var/tmp/audacity-root/audacity-lock-root

Suggestions please.
Last edited by Mercedes350se on Thu 30 Apr 2020, 07:57, edited 2 times in total.

greengeek

#2 Post by greengeek »

Hi Mercedes, sorry I can't help with the Audacity error - but I think i read recently that pMusic has the ability to break an mp3 stream into individual tracks.

I seem to recall that functionality was built in so that radio streams could be captured to individual tracks.

Maybe worth contacting Zigbert to ask if this is possible?

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

You can use VLC. The record function is probably best if you need to do many splits. I think Pavrecord will also work. There are many nice Windows progs (like MP3Trackmaker) in this category if you have WINE installed.

fabrice_035

#4 Post by fabrice_035 »

hi

I don't know what's causing this error but there's an appimage version here that may be newer or more functional than the one you have.

https://github.com/probonopd/audacity/releases

you just have to make the file executable
Bionicpup64-8.0 _ Kernel 5.4.27-64oz _ Asus Rog GL752

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Mercedes, will mhWaveEdit open the files? If so, it might be able to do what you want. If it can open the files but can't edit them the way you want, at least it can save them, then maybe Audacity can open the files that were saved by mhWaveEdit.

Mercedes350se

#6 Post by Mercedes350se »

First of all a thank you to:
greengeek
nic007
fabrice_035, and
Flash
for responding to my post.

The personal storage icon was blinking red so I increased its size twice with no change in Audacity's behaviour.

As I have a very short fuse with programs that do not operate the way I expect I have gone back to a previous save file which, as I type this, indicates 402MiB personal storage and 244MiB free space.

It also means that I will simply listen to the whole .mp3 files and not concern myself with the individual tracks/names.

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

fabrice_035 wrote:hi

I don't know what's causing this error but there's an appimage version here that may be newer or more functional than the one you have.

https://github.com/probonopd/audacity/releases

you just have to make the file executable
@ fabrice_035:-

If you notice, Mercedes is running 32-bit Bionicpup. The probono AppImage builds are all 64-bit only. Ergo, they won't run.

Nice idea - I prefer AppImages myself - but the sad fact is that for an awful lot of software these days, it's a 64-bit OS or nothing.....'cos that's all developers build for now. The fact that 32-bit OSs are disappearing left, right & centre just might have something to do with it, of course..!

Personally, I strongly suspect that by the middle of this decade, even Puppy will have become 64-bit only, because the GCC, development and build 'toolkits' will not be available in 32-bit format any more.

Mike. :wink:

Mercedes350se

#8 Post by Mercedes350se »

After 24 hrs I just had to have another attempt. For an unknown reason I came across this thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=644748

Reading the first post I noted:

If frugally installed set temporary directory outside of SaveFile . Go to edit > preferences > directories set to something like /mnt/home/audacity-temp

After creating this directory audacity did everything I wanted - albeit after a short learning curve.