mkkde: create your custom KDE 3.5.5

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
HairyWill

Re: kde 3.5.4

#76 Post by HairyWill »

basd wrote:I am sorry to be having a dialog with myself here, but I am hopeful that sharing my attempts may assist someone else in the future.
No KDE for me thanks but it is interesting to read and a useful resource for others that might want to follow a similar path.

If you post some of your error messages maybe others may be able to offer you enlightenment.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

Eyes-Only

#77 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Basd!

No way!---you haven't been having a "one-way conversation with youself" even though it would appear that way my fellow Puppian Friend! ;) As you can see HairyWill and I have been following along with what you've been going through here. And you're correct in saying that by posting here others will also see what you've gone through and what they too will know ahead of time what to expect, look for, etc.

I think that's good of you too that you've posted the KDE file that you've made for others to use. Very nice indeed!---especially for others who are like me and wouldn't have the foggiest idea of what to do to place KDE onto their Puppy installs, etc. (Myself, I have a Puppy HDD install yet at the moment I'm pleased with the IceWM in that. In the future? Who knows? ;) )

I do agree with HairyWill though about posting some of your errors here so that perhaps others with more experience might be able to assist you in troubleshooting. That would count me out---I can't usually troubleshoot myself out of a fishbowl. LOL!

One route that I've taken, however? I've always enjoyed playing around with Grafpup myself and since Nathan came out with the 2.0 version he's recompiled a delightful KDE 3.5.6 desktop for his fork of Puppy that's installable. And talk about a KDE desktop that consumes VERY little RAM plus flies like lightening---whoa! It likewise takes up very little room: If you make a Graf_save200.sfs file of 1.25gigs and install solely the KDE desktop it'll still leave you with approximately 700megs of a save file. I don't feel that being too bad considering the save file can always be expanded, plus you can always save files outside that system and onto the hard drive (which is what I do with email, browser themes, browser caches, downloaded files, etc.).

Perhaps this would be something for you to look at as well? I've often dreamt of a way to install Grafpup's KDE onto my HDD install of Puppy but you need the "Gpkgtool" from Grafpup to do it---to handle the dependency issues---and I don't know where all its parts are kept. "Someday" when I have enough time maybe I'll find a way to port it over for my use. ;)

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

disciple

#78 Post by disciple »

basd - did you have any luck with pdfedit? Was that the latest version (0.3.2) you were trying?

basd

PDFEdit

#79 Post by basd »

Thank you all for the supportive comments!

I am still considering a way to deal with PDFEdit. My first intention was to compile it directly in Puppy, but to do that I will have to create a full install and I don't have a spare partition to do that on right now (I have a frugal install).

In my work, PDFEdit is an essential tool. So, I will be staying on this project and I will report back. My next effort will be to see if I can find a Slackware install or if I could simply pull the files out of a .deb or .rpm and get it to run.

I'll post back if I accomplish something.

My current effort is directed toward implementing gnupg -- which shouldn't be too difficult. I run a system that automatically encrypts my files using gpg and stores them on the web -- so that I can access my work wherever I travel (anywhere with a reasonable internet connection, anyway). In this manner, Puppy will allow me to travel very lightly!

I'll take a look at GrafPup as recommended. I will note that I am running KDE from a frugal install and everything runs at the same speeds we expect from Puppy. I'm able to directly compare with a Kubuntu install on the same computer -- there is, quite frankly, no comparison.

And, except for a few bugs I have yet to work out, the Puppy install is more stable than the Kubuntu one (though I am using the Gutsy version, which is an alpha -- so some instability is to be expected.)

A further note -- (and I may be repeating myself, don't know what I have written here on this before) -- I see no difference between performance on my PIII with 750 mb and my Intel dual core 7100 with 2 gb. Both are WAY FASTER than Vista on the dual core machine. That's truly amazing and something I have always hoped to see from Linux.

I don't yet know Puppy limitations -- because it runs in RAM, it may be that there is a point at which running software or large data files overload its capabilities. In this regard, I HAVE crashed Puppy while attempting to compile larger programs, such as the C "Boost" that is necessary to compile PDFEdit.

But as far as my "everyday" activities -- at least those I have successfully running -- Puppy has proven to be the more desirable system to use because of its speed and reliability.
[size=75]Everything I know about Puppy [url]http://daltrey.org/tw/tiki-index.php?page=Puppy+Linux[/url][/size]

Eyes-Only

#80 Post by Eyes-Only »

Very nice and informative website Basd! I just returned from perusal of your pages there. I particularly liked your sense of humour about the "We Make Mistakes So You Don't Have To" Department. LOL! :lol: I like my pages served up with a little humour like that as it makes the person less "cut & dry" and more like a "real, living, breathing, person", someone with whom I can relate!

Excellent job! If Lobster comes by he ought to find a place for it on the Wiki as I think they have a "links" page there. And where this IS Mark's thread, I know he does have links on his main page pertaining to Puppy.

@Mark: You may want to place his website there on your front page. This man has a wealth of information regarding his experiments, experiences, and happenings with Puppy and your KDEmini.sfs, etc. :)

Again Basd, Excellent job! Bookmarked on my end.

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

disciple

#81 Post by disciple »

FYI (Working with Grafpup 104 and 2, and Puppy 2.16) I've tried debian packages of the last few versions of pdfedit, but they don't any of the libstdc++ versions people have working in Puppy. There is a generic Linux rpm of 3.01, but it crashed when trying to open a file. I'm hoping for a generic binary for 3.02 that will work :). Between a few of us I think we've unsuccessfully tried to compile a number of versions in Puppy, including the last two. Make fails for some reason. I've also tried an older version from Mandrake or something that didn't work.
People do seem to have success with using boost from other distros (e.g. do a search for pdfedit). Maybe that's what's causing some of our problems - maybe we actually need a puppy compiled boost.

basd

pdfedit

#82 Post by basd »

I grabbed a slackware 11 compile of pdfedit and also the necessary library. PDFEdit now "runs" in the sense that the GUI opens and I can attempt to open a pdf file.

Unfortunately, I'm faced with a new problem that I'm not sure how to deal with. I know how to track down missing libraries, but pdfedit is telling me that I'm missing necessary fonts to open the documents. So, I don't know whether this is a problem with the slackware package, if there is some further missing library, or if there is a way to add fonts.

It's also possible that there is a software compatibility problem. The slackware package is apparently compiled for 686 processors and the rest of the slackware packages I'm using are compiled for 486.

Anyone more familiar with the way pdfedit works, re the missing fonts?

Thanks.
[size=75]Everything I know about Puppy [url]http://daltrey.org/tw/tiki-index.php?page=Puppy+Linux[/url][/size]

disciple

#83 Post by disciple »

I believe (well it used to be true - I'm not sure if it still is) that Barry has removed all the standard fonts from Puppy that come with Ghostscript or something, that gsview likes to use. When I got all the font warnings for some reason I thought it was because of this, but I don't really know. Barry has a note somewhere in Puppy about the fonts he's removed (I think they were in a ghostscript directory).

What exactly happens? At one stage I had it so it would run, producing the font errors, then when I tried to open a file it crashed (I don't know if it was because of the fonts). Is that the same behaviour you have? I guess it would be worth trying just grabbing the fonts from another distro.
Anyone more familiar with the way pdfedit works?
Unfortunately this isn't really the right place to ask :)
I've actually opened a bug on their bug tracker, because of the problems compiling, and they seem quite helpful, so maybe you should just add a note to that, asking if they have any suggestions.

b_linux

Error Message - No space left on device

#84 Post by b_linux »

I am new to linux and puppy linux, so I am quite confused with an error message I am getting.

After I type ./mkkde it seems to run successfully for a while, but then the following error message occurs nearly every line:

cp: writing `../squashfs/opt/opt/kde/..<< stuff >>.`: No space left on device

When I use PartView to see my partitions. I have the following(shown in Megabytes):
ramdisk: 1 free
/dev/sda1 2471 free (this is my USB memory "stick" that I run Puppy from)
puppylinux.2fs 949 free (this is my personal storage file)
ramdisk 31 free
unionfs 31 free
/dev/hda1 5998 free
/dev/hda5 9881 free

I am running the mkkde from the personal storage file that has 949 Megabytes free.

It seems to me that I have plenty of space...The packages I selected for the tgz folder total in under 100 Megabytes.

What am I doing wrong?

If there is something that I should read, in order to better to understand this situation, feel free to refer me to that...

Thanks!