Can the glibc packages be removed, please?

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
sketchman

Can the glibc packages be removed, please?

#1 Post by sketchman »

Uh, I don't understand this, but every post I find says that the glibc package breaks Puppy. I found this too late, of course. I just worked for weeks to perfect my HDD install of 2.17. I was able to do everything I needed except 3D. So, I thought the iceing on the cake would be to install NVIDIA's drivers. The installler told me I needed glibc and now my puppy won't even boot.

If this package is so bad, why does it still exist? How many more Puppies must perish befor this fiendish threat is irradicated? :shock:

Seriously, can it please be deleted?
"In a world that exists without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

cb88

#2 Post by cb88 »

no changing the glibc (since it is ALREADY in puppy) may break puppy glibc is an integral part of many programs and upgrading it can break puppy because of incompatabilies

you should not have needed to install a glibc package to get your Nvidia drivers working since there are already compiled drivers that include all you need.

click here if you have puppy 2.17
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1037811310

and here if you have puppy 2.12-2.16(this is the beryl instructions but the driver there works since i use it on a geforce2 although it does not support the very latest cards)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1037811310
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

amigo

#3 Post by amigo »

Glibc is *the* most basic package of all. Every distro version starts with a fresh compile of glibc, since nearly every single program on your computer will need it.
The nvidia drivers you want to use may not be compatible with the installed glibc version. But this doesn't mean you can simply upgrade to another version of glibc. As mentioned, most programs on your system are compiled to use a *specific* version of glibc and may, or may not, work with other versions.
While many programs maintain binary-compatibilty between glibc versions, any change to your glibc version implies re-compiling every program on your system in order to be fully correct.

sketchman

#4 Post by sketchman »

So, why did the NVIDIA installer suggest that I install it?

cb88

#5 Post by cb88 »

perhaps it was requesting the source for glibc? I doubt that the version of glibc in puppy is too old for it maybe it is a bug? I haven't used the Nvidia installer that is made by Nvidia but it does require that you have a compiler installed which you must already have.
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

sketchman

#6 Post by sketchman »

cb88 wrote:perhaps it was requesting the source for glibc? I doubt that the version of glibc in puppy is too old for it maybe it is a bug? I haven't used the Nvidia installer that is made by Nvidia but it does require that you have a compiler installed which you must already have.
Ahh, that would be the problem. Thanks for pointing that out. No compiler here.

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... _modules-2
dev_xxx.sfs, where xxx is your version number (2.17.1 uses dev_217.sfs, because it doesn't know it's 2.17.1 rather than 2.17)

How you install depends on how you run Puppy. For Frugal install and LiveCD, stick that dev_xxx.sfs file on the drive next to your pup_save.2fs file (probably at /mnt/home/ while Puppy's running) then reboot. I'm not sure what the process is for a Full-HD install anymore, as I'm about three or four versions out of sync and it may have been fixed. As for Multisession, I haven't the foggiest.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

snavely

#8 Post by snavely »

For a full hd install you have to add devx_217.sfs and kernel-source_217.sfs to the drive using barry's instructions here...
http://www.puppylinux.com/hard-puppy.htm
(scroll down to C++) Then you can compile away.