(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 21 Jan 2021, 04:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Font Preview
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 3 of 6 [79 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
misko_2083

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2020, 10:50    Post subject:  

vovchik wrote:
Dear step,

Nice job. I like that scaling button - it is useful. I modded some of the character categories in my latest, adding a few missing cyrillic glyphs. I think we are getting somewhere. Smile Thanks.

With kind regards,
vovchik

^Cyrillic Ј ј and Ћћ are missing.
Interesting effect when --tooltip-column=1 is added to the Preview tab.
Pango markup is passed on to the tooltip.
Tooltip is also usefull in the font list too.

Step those are very usefull functions.
P.S. The '\' character isn't removed, some fonts are displayed like this
Code:
Abecedario_punt\-pautada

instead of
Code:
Abecedario_punt-pautada

Mochi It takes forever to load all the fonts. I have ~1300 of them.
For some reason, at some point in the list, the right column goes to the left and vice versa.

Rolling Eyes It's hard to keep track of all the versions in a single thread.
vovchik

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2020, 13:08    Post subject:  

Dear Misko,

As for cyrillic, I have all Serbian chars in my latest version (posted near the bottom of page one, where I list the mods under UPDATES), and Bulgarian, Ukrainian, Russian and Belarusian. And I think I have all Polish, Czech and Croatian. I know there is an important "J" in Serbian, but I thought that it usually maps to a Latin "J". Should I add it - and its unicode value - to the cyrillic chars?

With kind regards,
vovchik

PS: Weird font names and funky fonts - mostly ttf. They exist and contain chars that Unix/Linux hate. For those fonts, you can use fontforge to edit the name within the font's text tables. The fonts then become Linux-friendly forever.
misko_2083

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2020, 15:11    Post subject:  

vovchik wrote:
Dear Misko,

As for cyrillic, I have all Serbian chars in my latest version (posted near the bottom of page one, where I list the mods under UPDATES), and Bulgarian, Ukrainian, Russian and Belarusian. And I think I have all Polish, Czech and Croatian. I know there is an important "J" in Serbian, but I thought that it usually maps to a Latin "J". Should I add it - and its unicode value - to the cyrillic chars?

Well then cyrilic A would map to latin A.
Whenever I do search in cyrilic J it gives me different results from the web search with latin J.
There is this font with reconstruction of the letters from the 12th century book Miroslav's Gospel that doesn't contain anything else but Serbian Azbuka if you want to try.
https://fonts2u.com/miroslavljevooriginal.font

Thanks for the fontforge tip,
with kindest regards
vovchik

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2020, 16:12    Post subject:  

Dear Misko,

I will add the unicode "J" to the cyrillic set. I also came across izhitsa, which looks similar to Miroslav -- what old Slavic monastic documents looked like https://github.com/semperos/kliros/blob/master/fonts/IZHITSA.TTF. I will look at both now.

With kind regards,
vovchik
step

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2020, 17:34    Post subject:  

Thanks, rockedge, vovchik, misko_2083.

misko_2083> The '\' character isn't removed,...
Fixed in my next update (#3).

> ^Cyrillic Ј ј and Ћћ are missing...
Hopefully not anymore; update #3 incorporates vovchik's additions (up to his edit #10). I will include whatever characters additions he will add to yfontview.

> Interesting effect when --tooltip-column=1 is added to the Preview tab.
Will take a look.

I'm not uploading update #3 yet because it isn't finished.

Cheers!

SFR

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2020, 17:47    Post subject:  

vovchik wrote:
[...] adding a few missing diacriticals (Polish, Czech and Croatian).

Just a heads-up, these 2 are missing for Polish: Ł (U+0141, upper case) and ł (U+0142, lower case).

Thanks &
Greetings!

vovchik

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2020, 19:09    Post subject:  

Dear SFR,

Yes, "jak głupio". I actually speak Polish OK, and do so at least one a week, and read the Polish news daily, so that was a totally idiotic omission. Thanks. I will post an update now - page one, near the bottom. When doing those tables I was focusing on "kreskowane", and forgot the most obvious.

Ironically, Marina Mniszek is actually a great-great-great... auntie of mine (via Ossoliński) and my great-great...-grandfather - a reputedly educated guy and her cousin, tutored the tsarevich for many years. I am not making this up, and it has and confirmed by DNA testing, so I should not really be making such silly mistakes.

Thanks.

With kind regards,
vovchik
SFR

PostPosted: Tue 26 May 2020, 07:41    Post subject:  

vovchik wrote:
Yes, "jak głupio". I actually speak Polish OK, and do so at least one a week, and read the Polish news daily, so that was a totally idiotic omission. Thanks. I will post an update now - page one, near the bottom. When doing those tables I was focusing on "kreskowane", and forgot the most obvious.

Nic się nie stało. Cool
Thanks for the update.

vovchik wrote:
Ironically, Marina Mniszek is actually a great-great-great... auntie of mine (via Ossoliński) and my great-great...-grandfather - a reputedly educated guy and her cousin, tutored the tsarevich for many years. I am not making this up, and it has and confirmed by DNA testing, so I should not really be making such silly mistakes.

Small world! Well, I guess after all we all have a common ancestor. Wink

Greetings!

vovchik

PostPosted: Tue 26 May 2020, 07:52    Post subject:  

Dear SFR,

What is most striking about all the recent genome mapping is that human DNA is roughly 50% identical with that of bananas, which I now treat with great respect. They are some of my favourite relatives. Smile

With kind regards,
vovchik
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Tue 26 May 2020, 20:53    Post subject:  

misko_2083 wrote:
Mochi It takes forever to load all the fonts. I have ~1300 of them.
Thanks for testing. Yes, yad is slow, but I can't say that it takes "forever". I tested with 450 fonts, yad window shows instantly with the first dozens of fonts. Takes ~20sec for complete loading.

Speed increases dramatically when changing yad for gtkdialog. My gtkdialog version, with more functionality and more code, loads all 450 font samples in 2 sec.

Quote:
For some reason, at some point in the list, the right column goes to the left and vice versa.
Weird, but cause should be easy to detect. Could you please send me the output of the uniq command (output to text file instead of piping to sed)?
step

PostPosted: Wed 27 May 2020, 06:12    Post subject:  

MochiMoppel wrote:

Quote:
Weird, but cause should be easy to detect. Could you please send me the output of the uniq command (output to text file instead of piping to sed)?

My script too occasionally writes a yad list item in the wrong place. When it happens, terminal output shows pango markup parsing failure warnings. This issue is definitely speed-dependent. It only happens when I hold the down arrow key pressed, which fills the dialog input buffer with requests to display all the fonts in the list, and possibly overloads the fclist-pango-gtk-yad system. It's hard to tell which actor is the culprit. Interestingly, I tried the same test with ydialog and there are no warnings.

step

PostPosted: Wed 27 May 2020, 06:16    Post subject:
Subject description: yad-fontview update 3

My third update is here.
vovchik

PostPosted: Wed 27 May 2020, 08:53    Post subject:  

Dear step,

It's very good. Thanks. I wonder whether you can restore fstyle in the header. It is, I think, useful, and easy to reintroduce.

With kind regards,
vovchik
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Wed 27 May 2020, 08:57    Post subject:  

Short test:
1) Styles are missing. E.g. all different DejaVu Sans fonts display the same font
2) 2 of my fonts don't display at all. Happened with my script too and I had to fix it. One font contains an ampersand in family name, the other an apostrophe.
3) My biggest concern: None of the presented scripts, including mine, can reliably display the glyphs of a font. Pango itself doesn't claim that it can and despite the fallback=false option it too often fails to show a font correctly even if it supports the characters it is supposed to show. See example in screenshot. All glyphs are "borrowed" from DejaVu Sans although the ASCII characters should display in Alpha Thin and the rest as hex boxes.

The GTK font button does a better job and I wonder if it is worthwhile to pursue the pango road if the results cannot be trusted. Pango certainly works for the majority of fonts, but is this good enough? Just a thought....
PANGOvsGTKFONTBUTTONpng.png
 Description   
 Filesize   85.07 KB
 Viewed   147 Time(s)

PANGOvsGTKFONTBUTTONpng.png

vovchik

PostPosted: Wed 27 May 2020, 09:59    Post subject:  

Dear Mochi (and all),

I, too ran across the same problem with a number of ttf fonts. I usually load them into fontforge or ttfedit - a java app - edit the font info text (not the glyphs) - and save them back. The glyphs in the font then become visible via our scripts with pango markup. A good many ttf fonts are "funky", for lack of a better word (written using Windows editors), and have to be cleaned up in the interest of proper multi-platform display and functionalty. The use of ampersands, exclamation points, hashes, brackets, quotes and colons might be problematic in such fonts, as well as badly or oddly named sub-families. When in doubt use "Regular".

With kind regards,
vovchik

PS. Some fonts have an internal attribute set that prevents embedding and preview (typical flag is 2). You can set it to 12, which allows both. See https://github.com/rmuch/ttfpatch.
Page 3 of 6 [79 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Jump to: