which usb tiny wifi for pups?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
gychang

which usb tiny wifi for pups?

#1 Post by gychang »

I have a laptop so the small usb wifi is preferred. Have a home router with the latest b/g/n/ac protocol. I am mainly using bionipup64 and dpupbuster.

please recommend a button type dongle (likely will get one from amazon). thanks
---
trying to learn puppylinux... :D
---

peterw

Wifi USB Sticks

#2 Post by peterw »

I think that you can use almost any. Linux does have to recognise the "chips" inside the USB stick and have drivers for them. At one time it could be "hit and miss" bur these days you would be unlucky to buy one that does not work. You can pick up cheap ones that do the job.

Sometimes the adverts mention Linux and so you can search on that. Here is an example of one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Wireless-L ... VY07FH2RC2

ozsouth

#3 Post by ozsouth »

I have a tplink wn725n. Very small, works ootb with recent puppies. Only concern is when pulling it out of a tight usb port, have to be gentle.

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

ozsouth wrote:I have a tplink wn725n. Very small, works ootb with recent puppies. Only concern is when pulling it out of a tight usb port, have to be gentle.
Yup; I'll second Oz here. I've had one of these for years; it'll work with every Pup from the original release of Tahrpup onwards, natively.....and there's a bunch of drivers for older Puppies kicking around the forum somewhere. I might even have a tarball of 'em tucked away in a directory.....

It uses the "r8188eu" kernel module. Do make sure you get the v2 variant; there are still some of the older v1 types knocking about in a few out-of-the-way warehouses here & there.....these never worked under Linux. You can find it on both Amazon & eBay; it's as cheap as chips, and ultra-reliable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WN7 ... ers&sr=1-8

Can't beat personal recommendations from other Puppians, especially when they agree on the same item.....!!

Mike. :wink:

gychang

will this work?

#5 Post by gychang »

I have the Netgear RBR20 router, dual band which support the latest AC protocol. This product:

Apparently this unit works well with rtl8821CU driver. How do I find out the driver support in the firmware?

thanks,
---
trying to learn puppylinux... :D
---

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Gychangs link minus the horizontal scroll-bar: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RN44SHW/
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ gychang:-

Seems you'd already made your mind up before posting. Why bother asking?? :roll:

Mike. :?