If you are working from home

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
bigpup

If you are working from home

#1 Post by bigpup »

If you normally worked for a company, that supplied free parking, at a parking lot or garage.

While you are working from home.
Can you charge the company:
A parking fee for your car parked in the driveway?
Electricity used to perform your job?
Upkeep of the house in general? Yard, bathroom, space you use for office, etc.....?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

foxpup

#2 Post by foxpup »

no no and no

We have to provide computer with installation, internet connection, telephone,'ergonomical' working place ... ourselves.
To connect to the servers of work we got a key for Citrix and were told it costs 25euro. The "boss" will pay that.

It has been like that for years.
Since about a year, people that work often from home, get a compensation of 20euro at the end of the month.

Mind this is for a civil servant.

Burn_IT

#3 Post by Burn_IT »

In the UK
No to car parking.
Maybe for electricity providing you can separate the usage on a different meter that is SOLE use for the office and is charged on different bill. Same applies to phone.
Maybe for upkeep with the provisor as above. The best way to get round to keep one room specifically for office use and charge rent for it.
Use of your own equipment - if you do - should be added

In order to do the above you would need to be:
self employed
a sole trader
a limited company in your own right.
Contracted to your work place not an employee.

If you are an employee and your contract specifies your work place, you can try to claim expenses for the above, but I rather suspect you would have a fight on your hands.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Moose On The Loose

Re: If you are working from home

#4 Post by Moose On The Loose »

bigpup wrote:If you normally worked for a company, that supplied free parking, at a parking lot or garage.

While you are working from home.
Can you charge the company:
A parking fee for your car parked in the driveway?
Electricity used to perform your job?
Upkeep of the house in general? Yard, bathroom, space you use for office, etc.....?
In the US, your company should be asked about their policy.

If you set aside a space for working at home and it is only used for that then there can be a tax impact. Ask your tax guy.

The same sort of thing can apply to equipment for working from home if the purchase was demanded, requested or OKed by the company as being for their good.

The parking fee thing is not going to work for you.

Also:
If you invent something while working from home and your job is in the engineering area, the company still owns the idea.

I added some network stuff. The company is not going to pay for it and I didn't want them to. I want to have no doubt that I own that stuff and can later sell it as part of the house should I choose to do so.