Jarte - the end of an era?

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
Mike Walsh

Jarte - the end of an era?

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, guys'n'gals.

For anybody who uses the Windows Jarte word-processor, running under WINE, the app appears to have reached the end of the road.

Carolina Road Software, the developers of Jarte, used to offer two versions; the "standard" Jarte, and "Jarte Plus", which offered a host of extra features for a modest fee.....only a few dollars/pounds a year.

Due to responding to a thread over at BleepingComputer, I've now learnt that development of Jarte, and JartePlus, has ceased.....and the JartePlus version, currently standing at v6.2, is now free to download for all.

I use the slightly older Wine 3.3_2.1 package from version2013 nowadays; I know bigpup constantly states you should always use the very newest version all the time, but this version works A-OK with all the Windoze apps that I run. In fact, I've tried newer versions, and certain of my apps have quit working with those newer releases, so I've backtracked to what works for me.

Jarte Plus works flawlessly with this version of WINE. I'm running it, as a 'portable', from my common, remote-linked /root/PortableApps directory, and started via a custom MenuEntry. I've always liked the "clickless" operation feature, in addition to many other nifty things this app is capable of; selectable via the Settings menu, and adjustable for activation interval (you simply hover the mouse to 'click' an item).

-------------------------------------------

Jarte can be found here:-

https://www.jarte.com/

.....and the "explainer" about end of development can be found here:-

https://www.jarte.com/support.html

Mike. :wink:

6502coder

#2 Post by 6502coder »

Thanks for the heads-up on this. Jarte has long been my preferred lightweight word processor.