Gedit stopped working

Booting, installing, newbie
MrAccident

Gedit stopped working

#1 Post by MrAccident »

Bionic-Pup-64
I had gedit-dev_3.28.1 from PPM. I was trying to install plugins; they didn't work; I noticed a plugin, which probably was there to begin with, but I thought that maybe it's one of the once I tried to install ― which was called something like "quick open", and the description said something like "opens files quickly". I enabled it; closed Gedit, tried to reopen it - which fails ever since. I uninstalled and reinstalled, and even uninstalled the dependencies; but it's the same. Also - after uninstalling everything ― I searched for "gedit" in Pfind ― and there are plenty of folders with than name.
So probably - I need to somehow completely remove every trace of it. How to do that? Or - can you recreate the problem, and solve it in another way?

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Do a search with Pfind.
Right click on a listed item.
Select delete.

I do not know how your save is setup to do writes.
But it could be only writes at certain times.
Try a reboot making sure to save.
Do Pfind search and see what still shows.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Why are you using Gedit?
That is a text editor written to run in Gnome environment.
I just checked PPM.
It needs 23 added dependencies to install.
Total 47MB to run a simple text editor. :roll:

Is their something specific, a text editor already in Bionicpup, will not do?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

MrAccident

#4 Post by MrAccident »

@bigpup - it's actually been years - that I couldn't find one which will work for my needs. The biggest problem was always - RTL(right-to-left) capability. Geany for instance ― doesn't even open files with lines which start from the right ― starting from the right. RTL - is a big problem apparently. A few more capabilities I need are: dark background, starting with previously used tabs.
A few more examples of programs: LibreOffice ― is extremely heavy and slow; Yudit(that is always mentioned - as if it's suppose to work with Hebrew) - is just... bad in every way!

I actually solved the RTL problem - for text-editors which support it in general ― with the RTL mark, with the shortcut:

Code: Select all

Crtl+Shift+u Then 200f Enter
So if you have some light text-editors to recommend, with my need ― that may be better than Gedit. Here's a list of those which support RTL - https://worddisk.com/wiki/Comparison_of_text_editors/ search for "Right-to-left and bidirectional text".

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

As long as you have the space, who cares how big a program is if it's what you need?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

MrAccident

#6 Post by MrAccident »

@Semme - well, frankly I prefer a small stand-alone and lightweight program. I just didn't try many yet. There are alot to pick from, and they should be reliable as well. Difficult task.

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Don't forget about the configuration and data files left in root's home directory. These you wanna flush.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

MrAccident

#8 Post by MrAccident »

@Semme - I got rid of everything with the word "Gedit"; don't know if it would work now ― because I won't continue with it.

I started to use CherryTree, and it's amazing! So I'll probably stick with that.

Thanks

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

MrAccident

#10 Post by MrAccident »

@Semme - thank Google. :lol: Not really; some other deus ex machina unfoldment of circumstances.

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

Then please, provide some feedback why an RTL user would find Cherrytree favorable over others you've used..

MrAccident

#12 Post by MrAccident »

@Semme - not much in this particular issue. In fact there's a bit of a problem with that ― Ctrl+Z - doesn't differentiate between words in Hebrew, and deletes the whole line. I wrote to the author.
But I don't use Hebrew much now anyway.

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

So maybe Gedit is preferred when it comes to RTL functionality?
Since starting to study Arabic and also having to process it in scripts, etc., I keep trying out new text editors as I encounter them. However, and I'm clearly very opinionated here, Gedit beats them all. Hands-down. With most text editors something isn't just quite right, but with Gedit everything just works the way you'd expect it to. One small gripe is the new auto-disappearing scrollbar, which of course covers the first one or two Arabic letters in line of text starting on the right. On the command line, I use vim alternating between :set rl/:set norl as described above.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/227240

MrAccident

#14 Post by MrAccident »

@Semme - no, the same. I need to make the RTL or LTR marks myself. Other than the Ctrl+Z thing; but it's possible to use Ctrl+Backspace, most of the time.
As for the rest ― it's like swapping your Subaru for the spaceship from Flight of the Navigator. I think this is the best way to put it.
Cheers :)