(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 29 Sep 2020, 00:40
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
https://puppylinux.rockedge.org/ : Transitioning To
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 2 of 5 [71 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jul 2020, 15:05    Post subject:  

@ nic007/musher0:-

nic007 wrote:
Look, I'm willing to start to post on the new forum only but it won't serve any purpose if most posters/all posters do not follow. I don't think it's necessary to get all the post contents over to the new forum, a selected few stickies is what I would suggest. Start anew. The old site can always still be used as a "reference library" for what's been before as long as the site is still alive. We should just decide to all posts on the new forum from now on and refrain from doing so on the old site. Can the ability to post on the old forum be blocked in a way?

musher0 wrote:
I think that's easy. Somewhat like banning everyone, perhaps.
Or putting members on lurk mode only.

Flash could forbid any new postings on this old forum starting
on date such-and-such, with an announcement to send people
to rockedge's new forum.

.....which is more or less along the same lines as I've already suggested. But to a very great extent, this will depend on just exactly what 'powers' our long-suffering, lone moderator possesses in respect of forum control.

What is Flash empowered to actually do? I know what extra 'powers' I myself have been granted as a moderator over at BleepingComputer, and believe me, most of the real capabilities lie with those at GloMo (Global Moderator) level and above.

I can move posts. I can delete posts; I can 'jail' them. I can merge/split-off posts to new/existing topics. Anything else, I have to refer them to either a Global Moderator or Admin, since anything else is above my 'pay-grade'.

I'd be curious to know what Flash is actually allowed to do. There's no secret to moderating; aside from having access to some of the software controls, much of it boils down to "judgement calls".....and experience. But this is going to boil down to what controls Flash can access.

It's very easy for the average member to say "Do this" or suggest such-and-such should be enacted. Until you've been "staff" on any forum, you don't understand how the forum software really works, and what levels of capability exist. And that's ultimately decided by the originating owner/founder/host, since phpBB and all the other forum software packages out there are very, very customizable. Rockedge can doubtless attest to that.

How DID JM set up the Puppy Linux Discussion Forum? What level/degree of control did he give his "staff"? That's what needs to be determined before any meaningful plan of action can be formulated.

Anything else is "pie in the sky", guys.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 06 Jul 2020, 19:56; edited 2 times in total
musher0

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jul 2020, 15:31    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
There are only 1050000 posts to be copied over to a new site. Start copying you lazy Puppyists.

ROFL Laughing
whip-donkey-799x1158-a.jpg
 Description   Yeah, you, lazy Puppyist donkey!!!!
 Filesize   244.56 KB
 Viewed   378 Time(s)

whip-donkey-799x1158-a.jpg

mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jul 2020, 19:30    Post subject:  

Administrative privileges aren't necessary to convince people to look elsewhere. Give them fair notice and eventually they'll figure it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGFSNE18Ywc
Nobody's Home.png
 Description   With a little bit of luck, with a little bit of luck, when he comes around you won't be home.
 Filesize   85.37 KB
 Viewed   357 Time(s)

Nobody's Home.png

tallboy

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jul 2020, 22:54    Post subject:  

Is that a Google Captcha that fabrice_035 posted a picture of?
I have blocked all Google in my /etc/hosts, so sites with Google's Captcha are no-no to me in any case.

MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jul 2020, 23:28    Post subject:  

tallboy wrote:
Is that a Google Captcha that fabrice_035 posted a picture of?
Certainly not, but these captchas are simply unreadable. Applicants who's first try is successful should get a prize.
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul 2020, 04:35    Post subject: Wanted: John Murga  

Wanted (alive): John Murga
johnmurga-wanted_495x641.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   89.88 KB
 Viewed   308 Time(s)

johnmurga-wanted_495x641.jpg

nic007

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul 2020, 04:57    Post subject:  

So what's Flash's viewpoint on this? We are just talking and nothing seems to happen. What exactly are we waiting for? We can't wait for Murga.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul 2020, 05:18    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
So what's Flash's viewpoint on this? We are just talking and nothing seems to happen. What exactly are we waiting for? We can't wait for Murga.

Simple really. It has nothing to do with the moderators.

If you want to move, then move.
If you want to stay, then stay.

But apart from John Murga himself throwing the towel, please don't force your* opinion on people and force them to move by artificial scarcity of service.
It's okay to put a sticky topic pointing to the new forum - but banning new registrations, locking threads (making it read-only), etc should not be done.

Eventually it's the survival of the fittest. If people find the new forum to be better (whatever "better" means), people will eventually move. If old forum still fits the needs of the masses, then they will stay. And that should be it.

____
*) when I say "you", I don't mean you specifically, nic007, but anyone who wants to move to the new forum.

p310don

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul 2020, 05:57    Post subject:  

Quote:

As best I can tell, alive and well with a young family and a good job. He's not hard to find on the 'net.
wiak

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul 2020, 06:37    Post subject:  

People join the forum where the main projects/releases are announced and discussed.

As long as the likes of 01micko, peebee, 666philb, fredx181, and other project/release providers do not move their main project threads to any other forum then there is no chance most any other member of the forum will visit/login to these other sites.

If this forum suddenly goes "off air" the project/release providers will no doubt suddenly move to alternative forum site(s), but unless they have been very careful to back up their main project threads then much will be lost.

Aside from these main project threads there is also some wealth of HowTo information (albeit some long dead HowTo information as well...), but much of that is easily replaced anyway via the excellent information that can be found on the likes of stackexchange/stackoverflow, GeeksforGeeks, commandlinefu, and so on...

However, despite Project threads tending to become far too long and full of long-irrelevant posts, there remains hidden within them much of value, which would be very painful to lose.

This particular post is of little value to the future so can be safely deleted...

Of course perhaps this forum will go on for another ten years or more and hold a place in the history of computing - assuming browsers keep supporting it and the various domain/host fees continue to be paid (accidentally or by design). But maybe this will be the last post ever made before the whole site vanishes!!!

wiak

nic007

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul 2020, 06:48    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
nic007 wrote:

Simple really. It has nothing to do with the moderators.

If you want to move, then move.
If you want to stay, then stay.

But apart from John Murga himself throwing the towel, please don't force your* opinion on people and force them to move by artificial scarcity of service.
It's okay to put a sticky topic pointing to the new forum - but banning new registrations, locking threads (making it read-only), etc should not be done.

Eventually it's the survival of the fittest. If people find the new forum to be better (whatever "better" means), people will eventually move. If old forum still fits the needs of the masses, then they will stay. And that should be it.

____
*) when I say "you", I don't mean you specifically, nic007, but anyone who wants to move to the new forum.

I don't think it's a contest. Personally I don't care whether we move or not. I think the talks about moving started because of genuine concerns that the forum may shutdown promptly leaving everyone stranded. But I suppose the ship can continue rudderless till it finally strucks the rocks.

ozsouth

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul 2020, 08:34    Post subject:  

A search shows namecheap.com hosts this site & John's personal site murga.org - I guess interested parties tried the email address there.
This site is paid til 20 Nov 20 & namecheap has a 'make a bid' button for the murga-linux.com name (NOT suggesting that).
Flash seems the only active Mod, as 'Ian' from Queensland has only posted once (2015) since 2012.
perdido

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul 2020, 09:27    Post subject:  

ozsouth wrote:
A search shows namecheap.com hosts this site & John's personal site murga.org - I guess interested parties tried the email address there.
This site is paid til 20 Nov 20 & namecheap has a 'make a bid' button for the murga-linux.com name (NOT suggesting that).
Flash seems the only active Mod, as 'Ian' from Queensland has only posted once (2015) since 2012.

Hi ozsouth, I count 7 active administrators and moderators. The site is renewed every year.

Administrators are here
Flash
Makato
ttuuxxx

Moderators are here too.
Lobster
BarryK
raffy
linuxbcon

The site is renewed every year like clockwork. Why is that bad all of a sudden?

The rest of this post is addressed to everybody.

It is interesting reading in this thread, people that have nothing to do with the management or running or ownership of the site are calling for the site to be permanently locked because they want to force evrybody to do what they want. Just what gives anyone besides John Murga the right to lock his site without his permission? The bills are paid and the site does what it is designed to do. Don't try to force your opinion on me. If you want to move then move. None of you that want to lock the site have any authority here.

Site runs fine for me. It is not overloaded with spam. Always loads using minimum resources.
There are no ads. Nobody trying to make a living off the site traffic.

Like I said earlier, I will miss you guys.

ozsouth

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul 2020, 10:03    Post subject:  

@perdido - You are right - I was looking at the names listed in the forum sub-headings. I don't plan to move unless everything does. John's profile says he's a 'man of mystery'. I was interested in his hosting details & just drew attention to his own site & our current expiry date.
mostly_lurking

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul 2020, 10:14    Post subject:  

ozsouth wrote:

It looks like we currently have 2 1/2 active forum administrators: Flash, Makoto, and ttuuxxx, who occasionally comes by.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/groupcp.php

Smithy on the other thread wrote:
Flash, have you got a spare email you could use as a contact point
for any registration problems?
I've no idea on the number of potential applicants, but hopefully it is managable.

Maybe this could work as a temporary solution? Create an e-mail address that people can contact if they need their forum account activated? Perhaps this e-mail could be shared between Flash and Makoto, so that whoever of them happens to have some time can log in and take care of any new cases.

Then make a sticky forum post along those lines:

Example wrote:
=== For people who have trouble signing up or logging in ===

Some users may not receive their confirmation e-mail after registering, because their e-mail provider rejects the mail; likely due to the forum sending it over an unencrypted connection. Providers that are known to do this are, among others: gmail, gmx, web.de, t-online.de, and mail.com. Hotmail still seems to work.

If you didn't receive your confirmation mail after signing up, or your account got deactivated after you changed your password or e-mail address, please send an e-mail including your username to:

<name> [at] <provider> [dot] com

and wait for an administrator to activate your account.

p310don wrote:
Quote:
As best I can tell, alive and well with a young family and a good job. He's not hard to find on the 'net.

If he still exists and is willing to continue hosting this site, but too busy to care for it... and if there is some way to contact him, and convince him to promote someone (rockedge maybe?) to a second site administrator here, we could have an actively maintained forum again without moving.
Page 2 of 5 [71 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: