live dvd's

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
mike

live dvd's

#1 Post by mike »

aug 17

http://distrowatch.com/
first two entries are for huge live dvd distro's....

it seems that there's a trend to make live cd's as bloated and feature-rich as possible, to the xtent that we're not even talking about cd's anymore. i have been quite surprised by the success of damn small linux according to that site, and part of me believes that perhaps the underlying reasons for certain well-known distro's to take this route is that they rightly fear that it is the only way that they can truly compete with small, light, fast, and powerfull distro's (such as dsl and puppy).

i mean, if the only real advantage is the amount of apps available, i for one believe it's time to re-evaluate the direction one's heading.

puppy meets all of my needs. yes, there are things that i'd like to see improved, but almost every day i notice a new dot-pup and guess what? it's all going to happen.

knoppix has great hardware detection. yes.

dsl is based on knoppix in that regard, and in every other way exceppt the amount of apps blows it out of the water. in my opinion the only redeeming feature of either is the apt-get function. puppy is catching up.

the day will come when it will be painfully obvious to anyone with half a brain that the true prince's and king's of the live cd realm are small, fast, powerfull, functioning distro's.

so, to those who just like the concept of wasting valuable dvd's, enjoy yourselves. spend the 15 minutes waiting for your "live" distro to boot up, and crawl around like a stroke victim trying to get those bloated apps to open.

i've already booted into puppy, logged into the forum, wrote this little blurb, and moved on to other things.

cheers :)

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Yes Mike I agree with your thoughts on this subject, I think that starting with a basic setup like Puppy and allowing people to add what they wish is one of the best ways to go.

Also offering different configurations of Puppy still gives people freedom.

The main release of Puppy gives people a chance to have a workable OS that has the main features that people use, Chubby Puppy gives them the Open Office suite which allows Windows users the ability to continue using their MS Office files, Multi-sesssion Puppy allows people who are worried about saving to their hard drive the security of not touching the hard drive but still being able to save their data.

Unleashed Puppy allows people to put together a package that suits their needs and Puppy 1.0.5 allows people to compile their own apps.

So overall there is a lot of flexibility in the Puppy family and for those people who are not interested or confident enough in downloading and burning a CD, Barry has them for sale thus taking the risk and effort out of obtaining Puppy.