Remastering Using USB drive

Using applications, configuring, problems
reid_geo

Remastering Using USB drive

#1 Post by reid_geo »

Would someone please help me understand the architcture of Puppy on a USB stick vs. a HD installation?

I would havethought that I could delete Mozilla and add Firefox on my USB, and then remaster a new CD from that config. Apparently not so. Is this because the file system is compressed, and can't really be changed, even though it is on a rw device?

THanks for any light you can shed, or links to other posts. I have been 'round and 'round the forum search and google. The information I find is either incomplete or old.

My basic goal is to remaster Puppy 2.11 without Mozilla and with Firefox.

TIA

raffy

puppybuild

#2 Post by raffy »

When your new system is already working well, just do a remaster and you may stop just before the CD burning, locate the puppybuild (?) directory, and use the new files there to overwrite your old USB files (initrd.gz, pup_211.sfs).

The remaster is expected to write a new CD, but you can stop before it is done and use the files from the puppybuild directory. Of course you should be ready with reinstalling Puppy to your USB in case something goes wrong.

The safest way is to proceed until the new CD is burned and when you have successfully tested it, reinstall Puppy to your USB.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

raffy

puppybuild

#3 Post by raffy »

When your new system is already working well, just do a remaster and you may stop just before the CD burning, locate the puppybuild (?) directory, and use the new files there to overwrite your old USB files (initrd.gz, pup_211.sfs).

The remaster is expected to write a new CD, but you can stop before it is done and use the files from the puppybuild directory. Of course you should be ready with reinstalling Puppy to your USB in case something goes wrong.

The safest way is to proceed until the new CD is burned and when you have successfully tested it, reinstall Puppy to your USB.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

reid_geo

Re: puppybuild remaster problems

#4 Post by reid_geo »

My original question was very unclear. I am able to make the modifications I want by removing Mozilla using PupBeGone, and adding Firefox using pupget. But when I remaster at that point the changes seem to be undone. There is a Firefox icon on the desktop, but there is no program.

I have tried remastering using a USB stick and RAM for storing the remaster files, and writing to CD from there, I also tried writing the iso to a hard drive and writing that to CD. Each time Firefox is gone. So I think I am not getting Firefox in the right place on the file system - it is going someplace ephemeral.

Thus my question about "can this be done without first doing a HD install?"

Thanks.