Can't boot from CD; how to boot Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
borgward

Can't boot from CD; how to boot Puppy?

#1 Post by borgward »

How do I get a boot disk.

I want to run puppy on a computer that won't boot from a CD.

Is it on the CD? Maybe I overlooked it.

SnowDog

#2 Post by SnowDog »

It might be simplest for you to use Smart Boot Manager, as a boot disk. There are other options, but this is a good tool for other purposes, besides just booting puppy.

You can search these forums, or google, or click here, if you are running windows http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/3.7/sbminst.exe and build yourself a boot floppy.

Let me know if you need help with anything else.

Good Luck.
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

ezeze5000

can't boot from CD

#3 Post by ezeze5000 »

You didn't say if you had a laptop or a desktop.
If you have a desktop you could remove the hard drive and put it in a PC that will boot puppy , do the install then put it back in the original PC. Then you could just boot from the hard drive.
I have done this lots of times.
Set up your partitions and a swap partition (if you are low on ram), and grub (boot loader).
I can get puppy to run on pretty old PCs.

I hope this helps.
If at first you don't succeed try try again!

SnowDog

#4 Post by SnowDog »

Good point ezeze5000, I never though to ask that.

borgward:
You can also make a puppy boot floppy from within puppy (assuming you can boot the cd on some machine) from control panel.
If you report back with more details about what hardware you are using, we'll probably find some way to get you going.

Good Luck and thanks for trying Puppy.
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

borgward

can't boot from CD

#5 Post by borgward »

I first need a boot floppy. I then plan to install puppy on the HDD. I do not plan to dual boot.
Putting it on Acer Aspire PC 75 MHz Intel. 22MB RAM.
Has 98 on it now.

I was able to download a boot floppy from Damm Small Linux, and boot to DSL. Does puppy have a boot floppy that I can download?

SnowDog

#6 Post by SnowDog »

There is a boot floppy for Puppy, it's called wakepup. I don't have a link for d/l at the moment, but it shouldn't be too hard to find. (I don't remember if I downloaded it or made one from inside the cd.)
If you can boot the Puppy cd on another machine, it's very simple to make a boot floppy from Puppy's control panel. (I'd still recommend SBM though.)

One word of direction if I may...
You are going to be very unhappy with Puppy on that machine (with those specs), even compared to 98, even if you add more memory, even with a swap partition.

I've been through this quite a few times with a number of other people and I have done it myself several times on machines with similar specs.
Those specs are not going to give you much of a platform for Puppy.
Actually, it's not so much Puppy, but moreso the applications in it that will really suck. You could try a barebones version with only leafpad as a text editor and dillo as a browser. They will go fast, but lack much functionality.

One option for that machine may be to use a thing called 98Lite, which makes 98 run faster, by exchanging some of the bloat from it with 95 stuff. (you'll need a 98 CD, a 95 CD and a boot floppy, which you make using the 98Lite program)

If you insist on running Linux on it (with a pretty/ish desktop) and Puppy doesn't seem to be the ticket for you, then you might have a peek at DeliLinux. You can get it here:
http://www.puptrix.org/isos/non-Puppy/DeLi-Linux/

It's about 126Mb download for the ISO, which needs to be burned to a cd.
Do you have a cd burner, or know someone who can burn the cd for you?

Let me know if I can help any more.[/img]

Pelo

Get windows installer

#7 Post by Pelo »

Boot using a Puppy exe via Windows
get Windows installer

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

Er, Pelo.....you do know this thread is nearly 10 yrs old, yes? :? :roll:

Mike. :wink: