How to clean strange characters from filenames?

Booting, installing, newbie
Taavi

How to clean strange characters from filenames?

#1 Post by Taavi »

Moaning here again. Could somebody advise with this? The tagging systems of musicprograms don't recognize

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

the latest Rox version 2.5 will probably work ... it should recognize UTF8 file names
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/DotPups

the older version 1.2 is based on gtk1, and doesn't support UTF8

Taavi

#3 Post by Taavi »

Thanks,
now I have

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

Rox 2.5 is a little slower than the older Rox that comes with Puppy, but it shouldn't be a lot slower

i downloaded the language package ... i don't know why, but it did not have an md5sum file in it ... i put one in, so it should work properly now

thanks for telling me, i don't download and install most of my own packages, so i wouldn't notice if there is a problem, unless someone tells me

the problem with those characters is that Rox 2.5 is a gtk2 application that supports the UTF8 extended character set, and the older version of Rox that comes with Puppy is a gtk1 application that does not support UTF8 characters ... those characters in your file names are UTF8 characters, so you need a newer version of Rox to see them properly

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

one way to speed up Rox is to turn off the display of thumbnails in options ... if you want to see the thumbnails, you can right click the eye icon at the top of the Rox window

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

Also, that rox will be automatically slower because it isn't built-in like the old rox is. If you remastered with the new rox built in, there would be a definite "startup speed" increase. Same goes for all additional software.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]