Changing hostname breaks compatibility with usr_kde.sfs

Using applications, configuring, problems
disciple

Changing hostname breaks compatibility with usr_kde.sfs

#1 Post by disciple »

When I change the contents of /etc/hostname (to change the name of the computer on the lan) it breaks compatibility with usr_kde.sfs
If I try to run something from kde eg kpdf, it says in the terminal:

/usr/X11R6/bin/iceauth: /tmp/dcopPfMg8b:1: bad "add" command line
/usr/X11R6/bin/iceauth: /tmp/dcopPfMg8b:2: bad "add" command line
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
ICE Connection rejected!

DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
DCOPServer self-test failed.
ICE Connection rejected!

kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.

Then I get a "DCOP communications error (konsole)" message box that says:

There was an error setting up inter-process communication for KDE. The message returned by the system was:

Could not read network connection list.
/root/.DCOPserver_Green room_0

Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!

I can't figure out what to do to get KDE to work with a changed hostname - can anybody help please?

richard.a

#2 Post by richard.a »

Have you tried to change the hostname in the KDE Control Panel?

I've only ever edited /etc/hostname in non kde OS's, and never had a problem that way.

Just a thought

Richard in Australia
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

I can't start KDE to try :D
I'll change /etc/hostname back and then try it.

richard.a

#4 Post by richard.a »

Meant to suggest that in my post lol. Sorry :)

Where it has worked for me has been PC-BSD, SuSE 9.3, Linspire, and the Gnome based Sun Java Desktop v2.

And every time I try puppy on a different machine, or a different configuration I edit the /etc/hostname file. I have a KDE version of puppy somewhere, when I get a few I'll see what gives with it :)

Richard
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

In the KDE configuration thing it only has an option to change the Netbios name - if I change this instead of /etc/hostname, then the computer shows up on the network under the new name. This adds a netbios name entry to smb.conf - so the answer is that we should be changing this rather than /etc/hostname.
Wow - I'd forgotten how blindingly fast kde runs in Puppy :lol: Not quite sure what the point is though - JWM is a lot more useful.
KDE killed samba though - it removed the public = yes and writeable = yes lines from smb.conf, and I'm sure I needed them for it to work. It must have done something else though, as when I put them back in, my shared FAT32 drives (/mnt/hdd1 and /mnt/hdc1) are showing up as read-only in the networked windows machine, although it can write to / for some reason.
There's something very strange going on here.

richard.a

#6 Post by richard.a »

The only Puppy+KDE I've got is 1.09CE+KDE3.5.2

I agree that KDE seems to cripple puppy, you need to use commandline for even such basics as starting the MUT which works whereas the KDE (Konqueror presumably?) file manager doesn't seem to want to work, nor could I mount any drives and partitions except in MUT which was odd.

Yes, it is blindingly fast, but I can't find how to shut it down apart from using the power switch lolol :) :D So fast, a reboot is just "there" which I guess putting it all into RAMdisk it has to be :D

Oh well, back to 2.something lol

I just thought I would thrown my two cents in on the netbios name :) Glad it worked. I had no problems, it remembered through powerdowns via the persistenmt home directory I suspect.

disciple

#7 Post by disciple »

You should be able to shutdown by logging out and then typing poweroff or powerdown or something.

Gn2

#8 Post by Gn2 »

If any will tolerate a few FWIW footnotes: And correct as seems fit ~

To power off when shutting down : Check settings in /etc/inittab

Code: Select all

shutdown -h (-t) now
Please man shutdown
The usual "3finger" hotkeys are interecepted as per inittab _
The true syscall() shutdown command is invoked.

Hostname -in standard format of xxx.xx.xx is not arbitrary -
Aliases are allowed via hosts-allow or I.E. when using system as gateway (eth1)
to act as DNS for alternate configurations

/etc/resolv.conf

localhost (no other name) can just be set as 127.0.0.1 (loopback)
AFAIK - Hostname is primarily used at bootup so system can internally resolve
DNS prior to initiate of (init.rd > rc.d) other run level services

Under Linux - system is basicly a "server" to "client" Apps

(Man hosts/hosts name)

KDE may not have full libraries installed - but they are only a GUI front-end to CLI tools

If accustomed to using CLI -it's faster & less obfuscated (GUI wizardy)
to what is happening "behind the scenes"

IMNSHO - When auto-anything just works - great ~ if not, the inevitable happens:
Time is often wasted trying to "cure" the symptom -rather than going directly to source

. If/when that is unclear (when ISN'T) the Docs/man pages are needed - or searches using I.E. Google

Forums fill in gaps - are very helpful for system specific variations.

richard.a

#9 Post by richard.a »

disciple wrote:You should be able to shutdown by logging out and then typing poweroff or powerdown or something.
Tried that. A very short pause and the KDE loading splash screen returns.

The two appropriate commands to issue in a console are "reboot" which does that, and "poweroff" which also does that. Very odd. At no time does it go back to the machine's POST screen.

When I get a few I'll try it in another computer (or two or three) and see if there are any differences.
Gn2 wrote:To power off when shutting down : Check settings in /etc/inittab

Code: Select all

shutdown -h (-t) now
Thanks for the suggestion, but the shutdown now doesn't work in puppylinux; the command is poweroff from my short experience with the product.

I rather like poweroff actually, it's less "complicated" lol

Richard

disciple

#10 Post by disciple »

OK... I don't understand most of what you said Gn2, but thanks for that.
Come to think of it Richard, I remember having the same problem once before - I can't remember what version - chubby puppy/grafpup/2 or 2.02 - but I think it was after I tried unsuccessfully to compile something, or install something big that requires lots of other things (like KDEnlive) from RPMs and DEBs, and I think I ended up reverting to a backup pup001.
It seems the moral of the story might be stay away from the evil KDE :lol:

Gn2

#11 Post by Gn2 »

Sorry it seems unclear - too many "add-on" asides?:

KDE is addictive, as it's only a highly customizable "wrapper" to ease use of system ~ but Konqueror rules !
Busy-box use in Puppy limits full CLI useability

Pup's own unique configs for live use does NOT conform to
what /how many tasks are done if using a plebian hard drive install

Moral is >> Any extra wizardy level add-ons muddies what is actually happening : =

Then slows/may even hinder.... what we all eventually must tackle - IF a user wants to take back control - interest & time permitting
>> How & why any O/System works

Mr. B.K. and all dedicated/scarily talented helpers gave us: A remarkable tool - this O/Sys -
I consider it more a powerful tool-KIT, to empower us while enjoying anything we cannot (yet) do for selves

Hint T2 : http://dl.exactcode.de/t2-handbook/html ... okpa1.html
So onward & upward good friends - maybe slipping on way ~
But the expanding view is breathtaking