Can I Boot Puppy from USB with Loadlin?

Booting, installing, newbie
ltodd2

Can I Boot Puppy from USB with Loadlin?

#1 Post by ltodd2 »

Hi all
I've have been trying to boot puppy from a 256 meg usb pen drive. So far have not managed it.
I have installed feather linux and that works using syslinux. Puppy just gives me half a screen of garbage symbols saying syslinux at the top.

I want to be able to boot different systems so now boot dos and have a menu. I can have dos, feather or puppy. all working apart from puppy. I've been trying to use loadlin as follows
loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz
It loads kernel
loads initrd
then gives the following message:
No setup signature found.
I use loadlin linux24 initrd=minirt24.gz root=/dev/sda1 rw for feather and it works.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lee

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

What method did you use to install Puppy to your pen drive, if you used the wizard you should have no problems unless you have a corrupted download.

booting puppy with loadlin

#3 Post by Guest »

I made it first time with the script and it had the error on boot from syslinux. They tried the "old way" and same thing. Have used feather linux on it with syslinux and no problems. I now want to use loadlin so i can boot to dos and run a menu system to pick what to load. ie puppy, dos or network boot for imaging our laptops.

As U say could be a bad download. i got the puppy-1.0.3-mozilla.iso. If there is a different one please let me know.
If you know the correct command for loadlin I would be grateful

Thanks

Lee

pakt

Re: Can I Boot Puppy from USB with Loadlin?

#4 Post by pakt »

ltodd2 wrote:Puppy just gives me half a screen of garbage symbols saying syslinux at the top.
Had the same symptom with my Dell laptop.

Fixed it using syslinux 3.09 instead of the old version that Puppy runs. Puppy 1.0.4 will have the new version.

Give it a try ;)

See this thread: http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=263

ltodd2

#5 Post by ltodd2 »

Thnks Pakt

I'll give it ago on my other usb key. I would like to use loadlin aswell if anyone knows how?

Regards

Lee

ltodd2

#6 Post by ltodd2 »

I just downloaded puppy again and checked it was all ok. have copied the files over to my usb drive, booted off it and away it went. Well it loaded more. both vmlinux and initrd loaded and i got a load of kernal messages as it booted. got to RAMDISK: Compressed image found at Block 0. At this point it stopped. Anyone got any ideas please?

Good name though mines behaving just like a puppy :)

Regards

Lee