Start-Items DotPup

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
dvw86

Start-Items DotPup

#1 Post by dvw86 »

This is a Rox-App I wrote to make it easier to automate tasks at boot time. You can use it to start applications, run scripts, open a directory in Rox, or open files in their default application. The Rox-App should work in any window manager. I have tested it in IceWM, Fvwm95, and Jwm. This is my first release but I am not aware of any bugs. Once a few people have tested it and I know it is pretty much bug free I will post it in GuestToo's DotPups thread. Warning this does replace your /root/.xinitrc file. I have not had any issues from replacing it, but if you have modified yours, you may want to make a back up of it.

Here is the readme file.
Dan Van Wormer 7-15-2005
This is a Rox-App that I wrote for Puppy Linux.
It will place things in a script and Rox will run them at boot.
The icon is from the "Silver" IceWM theme and is slightly modified.
Thanks to GuestToo for all of the help and advice.

INSTALLATION
Down load and click on the "start-items.pup" file.

The Dotpup installer will place the "Start-Items" application in /root/my-roxapps. Do not move it from this location.

Drag and drop the "Start-Items" application onto your desktop if you want easy access to it.

A symlink to /root/my-roxapps/Start-Items will be created in /root/Choices/SendTo.

OPERATION
Clicking on the desktop icon or the Rox-App will display the list of items in the start list.

Dragging and dropping an application or script onto the desktop icon or Rox-App will add it to the start list. You can also drop a text file, html page, directory icon, or other such item onto the Rox-App. This will cause that item to open on boot.

Right-clicking on an application or script and selecting "send To - Start-Items" will have the same effect as dragging and dropping the file on the desktop icon.

To remove an item from the start list, right click on the desktop icon or the Rox-App and select "Remove Item From Start List". This will display each item at a time and allow you to either "Remove" or "Keep" the item on the list.

To run the start script with out rebooting, right click on the desktop icon or the Rox-App and select "Run The Start List".

BUGS
No known bugs at this time.
Attachments
start-items.pup
Application to automate things at boot time.
(14.44 KiB) Downloaded 1410 times

user-786

#2 Post by user-786 »

Thanks dvw86, I was looking for something like that for a while.

I just downloaded and installed it and put a html file into my startup list, restarted Windows Manager and Woosh! the page started with it.

Very nice, very useful as I have Mozilla Sunbird installed and I would like it to start with Puppy to show me that day's appontments and I was not able to figure out how to go about doing that.

Great work. Hope to see some more apps by you as this one worked like a charm. No bugs in first release. Nice, very Nice

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Rather than just an Html file I tried it with the whole browser (still using Flock) and it worked fine :)

Seems very polished code and nice to see GuestToo advised in the creation.

I can already see the code being used for customised and secure startups and modified to start groups of programs in a window area

Very good. 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D