Error Message at startup re: /etc/modules.conf (Solved?)

Using applications, configuring, problems
JustGreg

Error Message at startup re: /etc/modules.conf (Solved?)

#1 Post by JustGreg »

I am getting the following error message at startup:
/etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.2.9/modules.dep
The error message occurs with both my hard disk install and the "live" cdrom / usb flash device combination.

I have this error message in the past. The fix was to use the touch command (touch modules.dep) when in the proper directory. The touch command sets the file date to time of use. I have try this and no luck. It appears to me that Puppy 1.0.4 modifies /etc/modules.conf at startup. This did not occur with 1.0.3. It is more of annoyance than problem. Is there a way to correct this? Thank you in advance for any help on this one.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

doopdoop

#2 Post by doopdoop »

a simple

Code: Select all

depmod -a
should fix the problem.

JustGreg

#3 Post by JustGreg »

I received a privite message suggesting that use search to find possible solutions, which I did! I did find one in the How To section. It recommended adding the following code (touch /lib/modules/2.4.27/modules.dep) in /etc/rc.d/rc.local. This fix is for older version of Puppy. The command should be "touch /lib/modules/2.4.29/modules.dep".

It does not seem to work. What code that modifies /.etc/modules.conf occurs before /.etc/rc.d/rc.local executes. One still gets the error. Use of depmod -a does help, but one has to do it at every startup. Anyway, I will search agaom and try what I find. I am sure a fix is out there.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

JustGreg

#4 Post by JustGreg »

I did some addition experimenting. I have a copy of Puppy running in its own ext 2 partition on my hard disk. This allows to modify system files (a good way to get into trouble) and remake a new image file. I modified the first line of rc.sysinit in /.etc/rd.d directory to have "touch /lib/modules/2.4.29/modules.dep. This should be the first script to be run and modules.dep should have the time of boot. I reboot and yes the modules.dep did have the boot time to the nearest second. However, I still get the error message above modules.conf being more recent. It did not eliminate the problem. Hopefully, some of more knowledgeable people may be able to help. Thanks in advance for any help. A search of the forums did not turn up any additional fixes.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

JustGreg

#5 Post by JustGreg »

After looking at the scripts (with Running Linux in hand) and some expermenting, I got the /.etc/rc.d/rc.local fix to work. I also use the firewall. I have found to eliminate the error messages in the log file, one has to have the command "touch /lib/modules/2.4.29/modules.dep" before the command that starts the firewall (/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall-morizot start). Hopes this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg